S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Need help! Rattle from engine bay.

Old 09-12-2005, 08:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help! Rattle from engine bay.

I get a pronounced rattle or warbling noise. Almost like the noise a bunch of pidgeons might make, but after being electronically synthesized. It doesn't really sound like a metal on metal noise to me, but it is not audible when the the engine bay is cold. After driving in stop and go traffic on a warm day for 15 - 30 mins, it suddenly manifests itself. It is highly sensitive to uneven pavement. Even the slightest suspension movement makes the noise louder. I also "think" i can hear it at idle if I pop the hood and cup my ear over the engine. It is very faint if the car is not moving over uneven pavement. So faint i'm not sure of what I'm hearing.

It started to happen after I had 4 new rotors (Stoptech stage 2 upgrade kit) installed along with the stainless steel brake lines. They also did an oil change and put a K&N oil filter on. Never had one of those on before. I also had a VAFC2 installed and then had the car dyno tuned. They also replaced the original oem spark plugs (first time ever). All on the same day. On the way back I first noticed the strange sound when running over bumps. It has gotten much worse in the last week. Weird thing the car sounds normal when I start it in the morning, but I'll hit a bump after 15 mins and the sound is very loud and unmistable until I shut the car off and let it cool for several hours. If I hit the same bump after just starting the car cold, there is nothing to be heard.

I also have noticeable oil ablation on the front of the engine just above and to the left of the belts. There appears to be a thin coating of grimy oil in this location about a foot in diameter, and I have noticed in pics of other s2000 engine bays that this area is pristine. (This issue is probably unrelated to the noise but I figured I'd give all the details) It's almost like the engine is "sweating" oil at a very slow rate.

I am not sure if it was related to the work they did or just a manifestation of something wearing out on my car after 90,000 miles. My car is going in for a state inspection this Saturday and I need to be able to direct the techs to check something specific. Need opinions, as this sound is driving me CRAZY. Thanks.

2000 S2000 89,000 miles
Ricks X-Brace
Mugen 31.8mm Front sway bar
K&N oil filter
Stoptech stage 2 brake upgrade kit (slotted rotors)
Axxis Ultimate brake pads
Comptech Icebox CAI
VAFC2
Old 09-13-2005, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just trying to find out if anyone had a similar problem to me. My engine mounting bolts have fallen off! Without hearing the noise you get I can't comment but it may be similar...