S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Need help with possible diff issue!

Old 04-14-2014, 08:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help with possible diff issue!

Took the car out this morning and I noticed what sounded like a scratching sound from the back of the car. As I accelerated, the sound got louder and faster. I took it to Grossinger Honda here in Chicago to find out what the noise is and now they're saying that the differential needs to be replaced, possibly something with the carrier assembly. The service department says it'll cost $6000 for parts along and about $500 for labor! Does this sound right? My car is a year 2001 with 42000 on the odo, and I haven't had any problems with the car since I bought it in September of last year. The only changes to the car I've made were AP2v1 wheels, an OEM spoiler and a new radio. I'm waiting on a call back from them, so I'm hoping to get any advice!
Old 04-14-2014, 08:48 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Lol don't ever go to a stealership for diagnoses. It could be anything, you gotta be more specific. It could be the wheel bearing, axle nut, etc.... raise the car and turn the wheels and look for anything out of the ordinary.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by s2000maniac
Lol don't ever go to a stealership for diagnoses. It could be anything, you gotta be more specific. It could be the wheel bearing, axle nut, etc.... raise the car and turn the wheels and look for anything out of the ordinary.

At first I thought it might be the brakes or caliper, as the noise from the right rear seemed "rotational", for want of a better description. As the wheels spin at any speed, the noise sounded like scratching or creaking. To be honest, I went into panic mode as soon as the service guy said $6000, and I started to look for new and used parts on Majestic Honda, eBay, etc. I'm still waiting for a call back from them so I'm hoping to get more info and present it here. Oh, and they stripped the threads on the oil pan and had to tap the hole. Fun times.

Any other opinions? I know it's hard to diagnose without seeing or hearing the car, so I'm grateful to anyone who can chime in.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kwincy
Originally Posted by s2000maniac' timestamp='1397494097' post='23111755

At first I thought it might be the brakes or caliper, as the noise from the right rear seemed "rotational", for want of a better description. As the wheels spin at any speed, the noise sounded like scratching or creaking. To be honest, I went into panic mode as soon as the service guy said $6000, and I started to look for new and used parts on Majestic Honda, eBay, etc. I'm still waiting for a call back from them so I'm hoping to get more info and present it here. Oh, and they stripped the threads on the oil pan and had to tap the hole. Fun times.

Any other opinions? I know it's hard to diagnose without seeing or hearing the car, so I'm grateful to anyone who can chime in.

id demand them to replace the oil pan...you don't want to have a tapped aluminum oil pan...im speaking from experience...and second, 6 grand for a rear diff assembly is astronomically ridiculous...if youre sure its the diff, you can find a used one for well under a grand and the removal and install if fairly straight forward and easy
Old 04-14-2014, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy shit $6000 is just robbery, my friend found a used diff in great condition for $400. You can find one on here if you need to and the install is fairly plug and play. Just have a friend with you. Go back and have them replace your oil pan.. tapped pans are not the business after years of oil changes i wouldnt trust it.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:26 AM

The service department isn't giving me much info other than them having to replace the differential. They quoted me nearly $6000 to replace it with nearly $500 in labor. I mentioned that I could find the diff new for half the price at majestic, and they're going to give me a call back. In regards to the oil pan, this is the first oil change on the car since I got it (it has been in storage in my garage since November), so I'm not sure if the previous owner did anything to the drain bolt or not. The dealership mentioned that there was red locktite on the bolt when they took it out.

If I go the used route, is there anyone in Chicago that can assist or can anyone recommend a reputable shop? Beer, food and eternal thanks to anyone that can help!
Old 04-14-2014, 09:35 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Sent you a PM maybe I can be of help
Old 04-14-2014, 09:56 AM

After reading through your thread I think you may have a brake issue. If the rear was broke it would whine thump or grind not sound like scratching. You may have a backing plate touching something or even a hung up caliber. Beware of the dealer who is thinking $6k for a diff

I have a diff worth near $6k in my car and believe me it is nothing like stock lol
Old 04-14-2014, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by S2KPUDDYDAD
After reading through your thread I think you may have a brake issue. If the rear was broke it would whine thump or grind not sound like scratching. You may have a backing plate touching something or even a hung up caliber. Beware of the dealer who is thinking $6k for a diff

I have a diff worth near $6k in my car and believe me it is nothing like stock lol

That was the first thing I thought of when I first heard the noise!

Thanks! If/when I try to replace the diff myself (or with help), I'll drop you a line. I'm just not sure this is a job that I can do by myself.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Kwincy
Originally Posted by S2KPUDDYDAD' timestamp='1397498210' post='23111879

That was the first thing I thought of when I first heard the noise!

Thanks! If/when I try to replace the diff myself (or with help), I'll drop you a line. I'm just not sure this is a job that I can do by myself.

It is best to have help, it is an easy job and requires only basic tools. I build a bone stock reconditioned rear shipped to your door for just a bit more than a mistery salvage yard diff will cost you. You get piece of mind knowing what you're installing is going to be right

Quick Reply: Need help with possible diff issue!