S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

need help newbie

Old 11-14-2003, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Johnny- what is your goal in mods? To have high hp (bragging rights)? To be fast in a straight line (ala. drag strip)? To be fast around a race course (Auto-X or road course)?

If you want sheer bragging rights, FI seems to be the only way to go. Comptech and Vortech make superchargers- each has its pros and cons. If you want straight line, consider FI and drivetrain upgrades (I believe Comptech has some of those too). If you want curves, listen to cbender. The S2000 is a very capable car- a typical driver's limits are far exceeded by the car's limits. A driving school will reduce your lap times more than several thousand dollars in mods will, plus you'll be safer. Then race at your preferred course, whether auto-X or track. That will let you know what aspects of the car needs to be improved to suit your racing style, whether suspension for corners, acceleration for straights, or braking. If you do go for more speed, make sure your brakes are up to it. Have fun and enjoy your car!
Old 11-15-2003, 11:44 AM

well guy thanks for all the information thanks, well since i am a newbie to this car i'll just have to buy it first and just goes from their. I have a few other question if you guy don't mind answering it for me thanks

1. should i get the 5 speed or 6 speed what is the difference?
2. if i get the s2000 that does not have the hard top, how much would it be for me to get it separtly? or should i just get an s2000 that already get one which one?
3 what's the difference in the s2000 in it's different years, all i know that the 2002 + have hard top what else is difference?
4 i been reading on this furom that S2000 the horsepower isn't 240 stock but actually dyno out to be about 204, is that true? and if it is true is the advertivse about 0-60mph at 6.0 second?
thanks

p.s. is there any other info i need to know be4 i purchuse my S, for example problems with the car itself thanks
Old 11-15-2003, 12:31 PM

Your information seems to be a little off, perhaps you should do a little more research before buying an S2000.

1. It only comes in a 6 speed so that choice is done.

2. I believe you can get an OEM hardtop for a little over $2000. If you like the look of them then go ahead and do it.

3. None of the S2000's come with a hardtop. They have to be purchased seperately or from a used buyer.

4. 240 HP is manufacturer quoted flywheel HP. All car manufacturers quote flywheel horsepower for bigger #'s. Most S2000's dyno around 195-200Hp to the wheels which is what is important. I have seen 0-60 times of 5.2 sec quoted for this car, but to do so you will have to launch the car at high RPM's. This is another reason why learning to drive the car is more important than mods. You can have supercharged S2000 and get beat by a guy in a RSX that knows how to drive well.

Best advise is to buy the car and drive it for 6 months to a year and enjoy it. Then decide what you want to modify.
Old 11-15-2003, 12:38 PM

thanks you

anymore information?
Old 11-15-2003, 01:03 PM
Former Sponsor

I would start off with a Cold Air Intake. Either Injen or AEM or AEM stlyle. They all run for under 200 bucks, and its well worth the money.
Then possible you would want to get an exhaust, since you have so much money to play with, get the Amuse singe or Dual exhaust, both the single and dual have been dyno proven to gain the most HP out of any exhaust. The exhaust costs at around 2000 dollars
Then the next mod would be the header. Most people claim the header wont' do anything, but believe me it does. Get the Toda header. It combines the top end gains of the Spoon header with the mid range gain of the Mugen. This mod will cost you around 1000 dollars.
Then get a VAFC II and get your car dyno tuned by a good tuner. You will probably be seeing around 15-25 hp gains to the wheels from these mods. This would total around 400 dollars.
With the rest of the money you could invest in Final Gear either the 4.44 or 4.77. This will give you quicker acceleration, and has been said to be the best "bang for you buck" mod that many people have done. The gears itself cost around 500-600 dollars, and about another 500-600 to install it.
Then with the rest of the money you can invest in driving school!!

This is just some ways you can spend your money, there are plenty of other ways. If you wanted to go Force Induction though with 5k a Vortec or Comptec Super Charger would be your best bet.

Hope this helps
Old 11-15-2003, 01:08 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by johnnylam612
If this is an indicator of what your overall S2000 knowledge ....................
Be afraid ........................... Be VERY afraid!
Old 11-15-2003, 01:41 PM

doesn't know how many gears the car has.
most likely has never driven it.
probably didn't visit the honda site or read the specs.
and he already wants to modify the engine.
and the sad part is that he is one of many unfortunatly.
Old 11-15-2003, 02:06 PM

I just wish this board was less about mods and more about what this car has to offer STOCK.
I havn't done anything to my car and every time I drive it i'm amazed at the enjoyment it gives me. In all the cars i drove i never had so much fun, its scary.
I ordered x-brace and shifter but i'm not sure i want them. I think a lot of mods are the result of peer presure and i don't want to fall into that trap.
Old 11-15-2003, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by fantaS2K
I just wish this board was less about mods and more about what this car has to offer STOCK.
I havn't done anything to my car and every time I drive it i'm amazed at the enjoyment it gives me. In all the cars i drove i never had so much fun, its scary.
I ordered x-brace and shifter but i'm not sure i want them. I think a lot of mods are the result of peer presure and i don't want to fall into that trap.
I agree with what you say except for one thing. I don't think mods has much to do with peer pressure as it does vanity.
johnnylam612 is another one of the youngsters that is trying to make a statement by suping his car up before he even knows
ANYTHING about it. All of his questions shows this glaringly. I know one thing for sure. I would NEVER buy his S from him.
Old 11-16-2003, 02:40 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by johnnylam612
2. if i get the s2000 that does not have the hard top, how much would it be for me to get it separtly? or should i just get an s2000 that already get one which one?
3 what's the difference in the s2000 in it's different years, all i know that the 2002 + have hard top what else is difference?
4 i been reading on this furom that S2000 the horsepower isn't 240 stock but actually dyno out to be about 204, is that true? and if it is true is the advertivse about 0-60mph at 6.0 second?
thanks

Quick Reply: need help newbie