S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

need help newbie

Old 11-11-2003, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help newbie

hi there =) i am going to get my first S2000 in Spring, and i am going to put out 5g out for the enough. I know it's not all that but hey it's a start, so please help me out. my question is what is the best upgrade for the engine at that price? what is the low - average - high end of the price for turbo etc. please help me out thanks.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:36 PM

can anyone one answer it for me please?
Old 11-12-2003, 12:48 PM

I suspect you're a young guy, so pls. take this as advice that's meant to help you avoid making the same mistakes that a ton of guys make. Before you drop ANY money on your car, first learn to drive it by taking up autocrossing and, once you've done that for a season, tracking your car. Then, figure out what the car doesn't do well enough to meet your needs. Either that, or drop a ton of money on a bunch of mods that you don't understand, may not need, and will probably regret just to look cool for your friends. Oh, and kill your warranty and break half the parts in your engine or drivetrain while you're at it.
Old 11-13-2003, 07:07 PM

thanks you for replying
Old 11-13-2003, 07:08 PM

but just still interested in the thought though of what i can do with 5 thousand dollar for the car
Old 11-13-2003, 07:21 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cbender
I suspect you're a young guy, so pls. take this as advice that's meant to help you avoid making the same mistakes that a ton of guys make.
Old 11-13-2003, 07:30 PM

Johnny, I'm not kidding when I say that you're about to head down a path you'll regret. I've seen this so many times (and have done it myself). If you're really interested in high performance driving, the place to start is learning how to drive well. Like anything, it's a skill that has to be learned. If you think you already "know how to drive", trust me -- you don't and can't until you know something about the physics behind how cars behave at the limit. The S has more capability than you have skill to handle. Now, if all you want to do is look cool for your friends, fine, buy yourself a bunch of bling-bling sh&^%$t, but if you're looking for performance gains, first learn how to use what the car already offers. Enough said. I'm not your dad. But I promise you that you're not the first to walk this path and then look back and wonder where all that money went (for no real gain)...

PS: and listen to BarioBanJovi :-) because anyone who's into dogs is worth listening to... Weimaraners rule!
Old 11-13-2003, 11:37 PM

hi there thanks for replying back to my post once again. thanks for the advice and i am taking it very seriously, i am just curious at what kind of power i can get, that's all. One more thing what do you mean by go to a driving school? maybe i am new at this s2000 car but i don't get what you mean by that, please explain it to me if you can thanks you
Old 11-13-2003, 11:56 PM

he's talking about a performance driving school, where you'll learn the physics and techniques behind car control. It will make you faster and safer behind the wheel than any performance modification could possibly do, for any price.

Check out this website: http://www.racingschools.com/home.shtml

I think it's a bit biased, but it is a good resource for finding names and cotnact info for schools. If I were you, I wouldn't listen to what this site says about various schools, but rather, contat each school individually after you fnd one you're interested in, and ask around on forums to find experiences good and bad about the school. most are ~3,000, which leaves you with enough cash for a nice Intake/header/exhaust. for 5,000 you could do a VAFC, Cams, Intake/header Exhaust, and gain ~10-20 horses.(someone correct me, i might be off the mark) Power gains are minimal on this car even for lots of $$ so i recommend against engine mods; you could put on coilovers or wheels/ tires for $2000, which is my reccomendation.

Quick2K
Old 11-14-2003, 01:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cbender gives good advice.

If you want to go fast in the corners, sticky tires and a front swaybar will help.
If you want to go fast in a straight line, the only thing that will make a big difference is forced induction.

If you don't know how to drive the car (and trust us, you won't until you have done several driving schools) the two points above won't help very much.

Quick Reply: need help newbie