S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Need help with metalic pinging during vtec!

Old 11-10-2003, 03:08 PM

Received 321 Likes on 170 Posts
Default Need help with metalic pinging during vtec!

Car is stock. Not motor modifications. The only thing I have done to it is Bilstein coilovers. During Vtec at about 8,000 RPMs the car begins to make a metallic pinging sound. Its not detonation, its ounds like a tin can being rattled, but violently, and it really only happens when in the higher portion of vtec. The car has also lost a lot of its go, espically during vtec. It feels like the car is not breathing correctly. In addition to all that the car is making an extra noise on top of the normal motor noise. Its like and extra raspy noise and is a lot louder than normal. It almost sounds like im getting on the car when its cold, but the car has 3 bars and is completely warmed up. Honda is telling me its from my suspension! They say the noise Is being vibrated back into the car because the car is lower than stock. I don
Old 11-10-2003, 04:01 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm not going to go into the basic stuff like bad fuel, bad MAP, etc. that you should have probably already checked for. Have you by any chance over-revved the engine at one point? It almost sounds like you've got something damaged in your valve train.
If it were suspension, I'd think that it would do this at a given road speed, not at a given engine speed.
Old 11-10-2003, 04:13 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If you had fluffy dice on the rear view mirror Honda will point to them as the cause of the problem. Their policy seems to be 'Make excuses before thinking'.

Sounds suspiciously like valve, rocker, or VTEC pin noise. The bad breathing would point to something along those lines too.

How old is the car? How many miles? Is it still under warranty?

Most of what I described above will probably eventually result in catastrophic failure. If you catch it now it might be a head rebuild. Later it could be a new engine.

Best of luck.
Old 11-10-2003, 04:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had that same problem in my 00 with 15k miles on it.Put some Outlaw octane boost in a full tank of gas with 93 shell and the car ran better than ever.Guess I got some bad gas.The Dale Ernhardt Outlaw Octane boost said it did not damage oxygen sensors and could be used with every tankfull safely.I used it at every fill up till about 16,500 miles when I traded her in for an 04 and she ran great.Cost about 2.50 a tankfull but worth it to me.
Old 11-10-2003, 05:20 PM

well its got full oil, and its got chevron premium gas. I havent checked the map sensor, but i dont think that going to fix the rattle even if i did. I sounds like something is loose in the motor almost and the car dosent need to be underload to make the noise. It starts at 8000 weather you standing still and reving or haulin ass. The car is an 00 with 45,500 miles. Its covered under honda care , but im starting to lean that means very little. The car has all the noises of the clutch rattle TSB, (even the service advisor said so) and he call honda car and there not going to cover it because its the clutch which=a wear and tear item. This is bull shit. The plaseic to has developed a crack (not on a fold either!) and there telling me that honds warranty doesent cover the top. WELL WTF DOES IT COVER? sorry for the ranting but im so frusturated at this point. Iv never beaten the car either, i mean i have enjoyed some spirited driving but mothing major ever. I reall am at a loss. I will try the map sensor trick, but i really dont think that will fix the rattling. Oh and the guys at honda said thay couldnt get me in for another week next wed. (so i guess over a week) and they said the car is good to dirve on. If it is what you guys say it is and the damn motor goes i swear im going after them to the fullextent of the law!
Old 11-11-2003, 12:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be a problem that I had. There are two little titanium heatshields near the bottom of the exhaust manifold. They were vibrating at high rpm, causing a loud, very high pitched metallic sound.

-Brian.
Old 11-11-2003, 06:53 AM

do you have any pics of this? Does anybody have any pics of the map sensor?
Old 11-11-2003, 07:57 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ROLLININMYS2000
do you have any pics of this?
Old 11-11-2003, 08:03 AM

Perfect! So i just take it off and give it a "love tap"? Then what about these heat shields hes talking about. I going to check everything i possiby can before i pay honda $90 an hour to look at my car.
Old 11-11-2003, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the exact same problem. the car only does it in cold weather. Very strange. But it is the exact metallic pinging you described.

Quick Reply: Need help with metalic pinging during vtec!