S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Need help with JIC coilovers...

Old 04-08-2003, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RT, I'm talking about these:

Slick Rick, I am not going to be able to make it to Sears Point. I have finals for law school during the first half of may, so I can't make it to any track days until after May 16. Besides, I'm totally poor now that I had to buy another set of springs. I was in the car while it was corner balanced and aligned. I took the spare, toolkit, etc. out of the trunk because that's how I will run the car on the track. With the spare in the car (or a passenger), I imagine the balance is probably improved considerably.

Cdelena, it's just so you can know the precise setting (I'm currently running 10 all around).

Mav, yeah - they come with 7k/8k. I had wanted to order them with stiffer springs from the get-go, but I was told there would be a long delay. After seeing how things work there, I don't think it should have caused any delay at all and it would have saved me a ton of money. The 12K springs are 180 mm front and 150 mm rear, so those are a little more expensive than the 200 mm springs the coilovers came with and then there's still the additional cost of the helper springs, but I really would have preferred to just pay an extra $150 or so to do it right from the start. I should warn you tho - 12 K is pretty stiff... you might want to go with 10 if you drive on rough roads or your S.O. likes to bitch about your car being uncomfortable, etc.

Gfacter, Adding preload will make the car ride a little stiffer, but the main reason they caution against it is that it puts stress on the top of the shock pison, so you risk breaking it off if the suspension suddenly becomes unloaded. They said this is only really a problem when you're running more than 5 mm of preload (which would require cranking at the thing with the wrenches for a while). Hand tightening is fine - they did that with mine yesterday. Changing the preload will affect your balance a little, but we found yesterday that the car is well balanced already and it's difficult to get much more balance just through adjusting the coilovers (you really need to move the battery and other heavy items to balance the car much more than how it comes from the factory). I weigh 190 lbs, so that was part of the reason we had trouble balancing my car completely. If you are lighter and especially if you leave the spare in, I don't think you need to worry too much about the balance. I think we lifted my back right wheel like 5 mm higher and there wasn't all that much change to the weights on the scales, so don't expect to get too much magic just from cornerbalancing. Frankly, I think it was kinda a waste.
Old 04-08-2003, 10:34 AM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally posted by The Reverend
RT, I'm talking about these:

Those are nice!

BTW, that's what I was talking about in my first post

Originally posted by RT
The only concern I'd have is if the spring is loose enough to fall off the perch at full extension (which probably won't happen anyways unless you're jumping the streets of San Francisco). In that case you may consider using tender springs in series w/ the main spring to keep things tight at full droop.
BTW2, 12k is like 670 lbs/in that's some stiff a$$ sh!t !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tell us how they work on the track .
Old 04-08-2003, 10:54 AM

I can tell you they work great!
Old 04-08-2003, 11:09 AM
RT

Originally posted by slick rick
I can tell you they work great!
Rick, you running 12kg/mm springs on your car already?
Old 04-08-2003, 01:21 PM

Yeah, David and I are running the same setup (JIC's with 12 K and rear helpers). And yes, it IS some stiff ass sheeit . Hopefully it'll rock at the track.
Old 04-08-2003, 01:52 PM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Thank you,

I think I may have 2-3mm of preload. I weight 190 also and balanced the car with the spare in. (forgot about that, doh) that said only a few turns were needed. I should have saved my money.

This is how the car balanced out with 193lbs in the dr seat

LF 745 RF 712

LR 780 RR 730

2774 LBS W/O driver and 1/2 tank of fuel

George

[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Reverend
[B]RT, I'm talking about these:

Gfacter, Adding preload will make the car ride a little stiffer, but the main reason they caution against it is that it puts stress on the top of the shock pison, so you risk breaking it off if the suspension suddenly becomes unloaded.
Old 04-08-2003, 02:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Why would preloading the springs change the spring rate (or stiffness)? Preloading the springs should just change the position of the damper while the car is at rest. It seems to me that the only reason to change the preload is to optimize damper travel.
Old 04-08-2003, 02:10 PM
RT

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gernby
[B]Why would preloading the springs change the spring rate (or stiffness)?
Old 04-08-2003, 02:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by grumpy
[B]Why would preloading the springs change the spring rate (or stiffness)?
Old 04-08-2003, 02:18 PM
RT

Originally posted by cdelena

I have not measured the spring rate but I have observed that preloading them does do two things; it raises the ride height and reduces spring travel that is left. Since I want to do neither I only used enough load to hold the spring firmly. When I want to change ride height I change the length of the body.
Chris, do your spring block solid before you hit the bump stops? If not, then you don't loose any useful spring travel by increasing preload (in fact, the higher ride height gives you more travel).

Quick Reply: Need help with JIC coilovers...