S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Need help with JIC coilovers...

Old 04-07-2003, 09:41 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool keep us updated...

How stiff is the ride at the higher damper settings? I'm thinking about JIC or Buddy Club for mine.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mav
[B]Cool keep us updated...

How stiff is the ride at the higher damper settings?
Old 04-07-2003, 10:50 AM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Rev, if they have a shock w/ a shorter stroke/body (shorter extended length) you could go lower and still retain some of the travel unless something else on the suspension bottoms (like the tire on the fender liner).
Old 04-07-2003, 12:49 PM

Rev, when are you going to Jic?

I'll be there later today.
Old 04-07-2003, 07:47 PM

The last time I felt this poor, I had just purchased my S2000. After 5 hours at JIC, my car is aligned and somewhat balanced with 12 kg/mm springs all around and helper springs in the rear. The ride height is no longer an issue. My back right wheel is 50-100 lbs lighter than rest of the wheels (with no spare tire in the car), and there wasn't much we could do about that during the corner balancing. Otherwise, the car is pretty well balanced. The 12 K springs are pretty stiff, but this is what I was looking for. With the shocks turned up to 9 (more on this later) all around, I still get a slight amount of bounce from these stiff springs, but nothing bad. I'm sure at 10 it wouldn't bounce anymore.

All in all, my total for the day came to nearly $600, so I am so damn poor right now I don't even want to think about it.

Ok, about the shock stiffness, I learned something today. Do NOT turn the knob all the way counter-clockwise and then tighten how ever many steps you want to stiffen them. The first few steps don't do anything. Instead, you're supposed to turn them fully clockwise (all the way stiff to "15") and then back them off from there.

Anyway, it's been a long, expensive day and I still have work to do tonight and I need to get to the gym before they close, so I'll post more later.

BTW, I met Slick Rick today at JIC - nice guy.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:33 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

when you say helper springs are you talking about the low rate short tender springs?
Old 04-08-2003, 12:46 AM

It's always nice to put a face to a name.

Sorry I couldn't spend too much time with you, I was rushed and had to get through a lot of stuff.

I'm glad to hear you're going to Pharump. I'll try to be there as always. Are you going to Sears by any chance?

When you took the corner measurments, were you in the car?

If you werent then you are in luck. Ideallly the car is balanced statically with a little more weight biased on the right wheels. When you get in the car, it will be perfect.

Anyway, good luck with your setup. I'm sure you are gonna like it.
Old 04-08-2003, 03:49 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Reverend
[B] Do NOT turn the knob all the way counter-clockwise and then tighten how ever many steps you want to stiffen them.
Old 04-08-2003, 07:27 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What are the regular JIC springs? 7K/8K? Can they be ordered custom like that?
Old 04-08-2003, 07:33 AM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

My JIC's have at 19 clicks at full stiff.

I have been starting from full soft also.

Questions on preload.

When my springs were just touching the perches they rattled too much. I just hand tightened the perches so they held the springs firmly. I hope that is not too much.

Also I have a clunking problem, I took the front dampers back out and removed the top and pillow ball. I did notice the bolts that go through the top of the damper and through the strut tower were loose, hopefully this is the clunking problem. I still have the car up on jackstands to check the rears.

My dilemma is I just had the car corner weighted and aligned. If I indeed have too much preload I guess I will have to live with it

George

Quick Reply: Need help with JIC coilovers...