S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Need help with JIC coilovers...

Old 04-06-2003, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took lots of measurements, but it's really an apples and oranges deal. My HKS springs are linear with inactive coils at the end. Since I don't know how far the inactive coils compress before the rate becomes linear, there's no real way to figure out what the compressed length of the stock shocks would be as compared with what the compressed length of the new shocks should be (different spring rates, etc., etc.).
Old 04-06-2003, 07:07 PM

The rate doesn't become linear for quite a while.

The main spring starts compressing way before the other spring is squashed. There is a very complex formula for that.

That's not why I asked though.

If you measure the stock shocks free standing, then you have an idea of how to set up the shocks you are installing. All other thing being the same (spring rate etc.) you could adjust the coilover 1" shorter, for example. This would be measured from common points on both shocks, of course.
When you do that, it's easier to adjust the threaded collar, the spring perch and the clevis on the bottom.

That should put you in the ballpark so that when you corner balance you would only have to do minimal adjustments. They can be done with the shock in place.

The most likely thing that has happened (I'm guessing of course), is that one of the adjustments may be out of range. For instance you could have adjusted the threaded collar too low and not have enough room for the spring perches.
So when you set them side by side, you have a better idea on what to do.

Am I making any sense, or not?
Old 04-06-2003, 08:30 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

.... the tough thing w/ that is you'd be assuming the stock spring and the JIC spring are the same deflected length which I'm pretty sure they're not.
Rev just lower the perch until you get the desired ride height, then jack the b!tch up and see how loose the spring is at full droop and decide if you can live w/ it.
Old 04-06-2003, 09:28 PM

Yeah, but then you would be using up quite a bit of the useful travel.

If you measured the 2 side by side, you would get close. You would still have to do some minor adjustments, like I said.
Having 2 shocks side by side and assuming that the "deflected" lenghts were the same would give you some idea as to which way to go. Besides, the free length wouldn't be off by very much. I wathced my guy do it and it was a cinch!
Old 04-06-2003, 11:28 PM
RT

If the spring rates of the HKS or the stock springs are different than the JIC's (which I'm sure all three are), you are going to get varying deflected lengths and free lengths. If the free lengths are similar, than by definition, springs of different rates will have different deflected lengths when subjected to the same load. Likewise, if two springs have similar deflected lengths under the same load, then by definition, their free length must be different (the higher rate spring will have a shorter free length) so the higher rate spring might be loose if the JIC shock has the same extended length as the stock unit. There's no jic Magic here, just facts.
Rick, if Rev has got the bottoms screwed all the way in (bottomed to the shortest extended shock length) and wants the car lower yet, then he's got no choice but to sacrifice some of his "useful travel" (unless he gets fancy with some offset top mounts).
Are you guys clear on the differences between lowering the spring perch vs. screwing the bottom mount in and out and when you'd do one vs. the other?
Old 04-06-2003, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by RT

Are you guys clear on the differences between lowering the spring perch vs. screwing the bottom mount in and out and when you'd do one vs. the other?
I know exactly what you're talking about. good explanation btw.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:56 AM

Bro, I know what you're saying.

Maybe I'm not explaining myself well. I saw JiC do that with my shocks, so there has to be some truth to that.

If you measure the free lengths and then go an inch shorter with the coilovers, then your car will be lower by about 3/4 inch.

The reason to have the two side by side is to figure out what's wrong. My car is about 2.5 lower in the back and no bottoming problems whatsoever.

So, I would say that something isn't right. Anyway, take the advice however you would like. I jsut tried to help, and not get into a pi$$ing match.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:20 AM
RT

.... no pi$$ing match intended, just trying to help The Rev sort his sh!t out too
Old 04-07-2003, 09:27 AM

I thinkg he is going to JiC anyway, so they'll take care of it.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:30 AM

The JICs have settled a little since I started this thread and actually the rear is pretty close to where I want it now (I'd maybe like it a few mm lower, but it's close). I actually need to raise the front a little now. What bothers me though is that this does seem to be as low as I can go in the back with these (I'd like if I at least had the option to dump the car to the ground if I wanted to). Anyway, I'll let you all know what happens when I go to JIC today and have them look it over.

Quick Reply: Need help with JIC coilovers...