S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Need help with header install

Old 09-15-2011, 11:26 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Need help with header install

I took off the stock header very easily, but now I am trying to install a PLM header and for some f***king!!! reason it wont go in. It keeps hitting the motor assy, and it wont budge... I tried raising the enigne a bit and that didnt work. I even tried to remove the valve cover to see if I could put the header in from the top and that didnt work either. I have raised up the car as far as my jack stands can go. HELP PLZZ
any advice will be appreciated!!
Old 09-16-2011, 01:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

drop the header from the top. remove your heat sheld and also take off your heater core and move bend the hose away. then drop your header from top and fit your way down. its a tight fit but works everytime i did it. also when i did it was with a plm header and also a ebay header. and the stock ones too. there no need to raise the engine. only thing is that once you remove the two things i said. all you gotta do is fitten from the top and work your way in. might have to push it threw some parts but it will go in. good luck. let me know if you need more help.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Hershey
drop the header from the top. remove your heat sheld and also take off your heater core and move bend the hose away. then drop your header from top and fit your way down. its a tight fit but works everytime i did it. also when i did it was with a plm header and also a ebay header. and the stock ones too. there no need to raise the engine. only thing is that once you remove the two things i said. all you gotta do is fitten from the top and work your way in. might have to push it threw some parts but it will go in. good luck. let me know if you need more help.
i really dont wanna bend the ac lines, and how do you remove them? I see that other ppl had no problem with PLM header install. I dont know why it's giving me such a hard time.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:09 AM

com on I know a few s2k owners have PLM header installed. I thought this header was by far the easiest to install coz of the design . What am I doing wrong here??
Old 09-16-2011, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're gonna reinstall AC then removing them is a bad answer. To remove them you have to go to a shop and have the refrigerant evacuated.

Header install: you really need two people. I did mine (Berk) from the bottom and had the car really high in the air. Swung the bottom towards the driver side then angled up past the motor mount. Had a tall friend grab it from there and move it slowly towards the studs while I moved the exhaust around to get it all out of the way. I really wouldn't do this with one person no matter which way you decide to do it.

Moral: take your time and look at what you have to work with. And be sure to use a piece of wood under the oil pan if you decide to jack the motor up.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I installed my PLM header, I raised the motor and wiggled the header from the bottom. The OEM header was remvoed from the top.

It works from the bottom just be creative with the manuvering.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I installed mine from the bottom. Just raise the car a couple inches more (put a block of wood under the jack-pad). You'll get enough clearance to maneuver the PLM header and slip it thru the space available.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:42 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Try angling the exhaust end towards the driver's side of the car and feed it up from the bottom.

It's tempting to try to angle it to the rear because that's how it will end up when you finish installing it, but my Comptech would not go in that way. Jacking up the engine and angling the header sideways was the trick. Took me a couple days of head-scratching to get it figured out. God what a pain in the ass that was.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s2000maniac
Originally Posted by Hershey' timestamp='1316166030' post='20978414
i really dont wanna bend the ac lines, and how do you remove them? I see that other ppl had no problem with PLM header install. I dont know why it's giving me such a hard time.
dont bend the ac line. ac line got nothing to be move with
in this photo here
Name:  DSC04326edit.jpg
Views: 1982
Size:  26.0 KB
i mark in the heat shield. remove that. the header core is what put a triangle on with the arrow. there is a 10mm bolt holding it. remove the bolts and angle the heater core away. the ac line itself if you want too follow the line and there will be two 10mm bolt before the heat shield that you can remove to make the ac line flex more when you drop the header from the top.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:41 PM

Received 3,767 Likes on 2,658 Posts

My Mugen header was a bit of a pain, but this is what I did. I pulled it up from the bottom of the car. Remove thetop bolt on the passenger side engine mount, then Raise the motor up with a floor jack,remove the engine mount plate that is bolted to the block (4 bolts). Then use the spare tire jack from the vehicle to move the engine towards the driver side just enough to get the header up. Place the tire jack between the vehicle frame and engine block and open her up until it moves the engine just enough to get the header through. Once the header is through, remove the tire jack, reinstall the engine mount plate to the block, drop the engine back onto the engine mount and reinstall the mount bolt, then proceed to bolt up the header. hth.

Quick Reply: Need help with header install