S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Need help with exhaust

Old 09-26-2007, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with exhaust

Ok here is what happened.
I have the HKS exhaust. this is a two piece exhaust.
The front piece goes from the test pipe back 20 or so inchs to a resonator then has a 6 inch pipe with a flange going the the 2nd rear pipes.
What broke is on the first part. The 6 inch pipe broke away from the resonator and can not be welded.

So I have a stock exhaust that is the exact same from the front going back to the split. So I want to cut the pipe after the stock resonator and have the HKS small 6 inch piece with the flange welded onto it.

My question:
1. Does this sound like this will work. I do not want to replace the whole exhaust at this time.
2. The stock exhaust has the resonator, but is it baffled or a straight pipe wrapped in steel wool like the HKS. And if its baffled can it easy be tore out.
3. Can I cut out the stock resonator and go with a straight pipe instead? Although I will lose my hanger for mounting it, but I will have to make something up for that.

Are there any issues with the stock front part of the exhaust I should be aware of?

I need some answers soon since I have already brought the pipes to the muffler shop and they are working on it tomorrow (thursday morning)

Thanks
Keith

I edited this cause my exec-secretary Pete wasn't available at the time for checking.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:26 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I believe you can fabricate a mid-pipe out of the stock exhaust. BTW -- The word is "resonator."
Old 09-26-2007, 10:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ruexp67,Sep 26 2007, 10:26 AM
I believe you can fabricate a mid-pipe out of the stock exhaust. BTW -- The word is "resonator."
Any pics of the breakage? If i recall the HKS is just coated steel piping? Usually most shops can weld that stuff pretty easy, or replace the broken section without to much trouble.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:53 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A local guy cut his oem exhaust just before the Y and had a Megan muffler + pipe mated to the remaining oem...seems to work well.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:31 AM

The pipe looks like it ws ripped out of the resonator. I asked and they said that they couldn't weld it, and since I have the other exhaust i mine as well use that.

There might be enough material to cut the resonator out of the stock and then weld in some of the original pipe along with the flange.

But again is is ok to run a straight pipe w/o a resonator?????
Old 09-26-2007, 11:36 AM

get a second opinion about that welding. metals shops can do some pretty amazing stuff.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:28 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by aquatic,Sep 26 2007, 01:31 PM
But again is is ok to run a straight pipe w/o a resonator?????
Sure, people do it all the time. You may get some more exhaust drone though.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:34 PM

a little off topic but how did you break the HKS? Poor quality? or just bad luck? Thanks
Old 09-26-2007, 01:41 PM

I am going to try and take some pictures tomorrow. I have to bring the car to the shop and they will fit it the right way. I will question welding again, but I figured I would be better off using the stock that is in good shape compared to welding on the old exhaust.

Hard to say why it broke or how, probably stress, not rust. It actually tore out of the resonator, weird. But then again stress cranked my speedo display too.

The HKS was put on in late 2000, but I have never had it in snow or salt.

I think its going to cost $72.00 for them to cut and fit it onto the car. So this is the way I am going.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:25 AM

wow
I had to drive the car to the shop. All I can say is wow was that fun. The sound was amazing, especially at high rpms. Header and test pipe, wow.

The shop seen that I didn't have cat and said they could do it. But I said just fit it to the car and take it off. Then I will just take the pipe and do what I want with it. This way they are not liable and then they won't have to turn the car in. Close call, but I would love to drive the car one more time as it was.
I even passed a state patrol cop, taking laser radar. Of course he got jammed by my jammer, and I keep the sound down when I drove by him.

Little of topic
But they have a speed trap set up here at least twice a week, where two cops stand on an overpass and laser cars. Then there are 6-8 cops on the on-ramp busting everyone. My jammer always works, but I never speed through there anyways.
Twice people speed up along side of me and got busted. And others probably got saved due to there laser getting jammed form me, and then resetting or doing what they have to do after that happens.

Anyway, I pick up the car and will have the new exhaust on later.
Thanks for the input.

Aquatic

Quick Reply: Need help with exhaust