S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Need help diagnosting rear end noise!

Old 05-05-2010, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help diagnosting rear end noise!

Long story short I bought the car over a year ago and have had this loud noise coming from the rear. I thought it was the tires but Ive gone through a few sets and noise persists. Today I jacked up the car with e-brake off and car in N and tried to wiggle the wheels while holding the tire and both sides feel secure. However the passenger side made a peculiliar (sp.?) noise when I spin the tire back then forth.
Here is a video of the noise while driving [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqoKgPJkF6Y [/media]
And a video of the strange clanking noise I hear when I move the Passenger side tire back and forth. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUlfYDQG4K0 [/media]
Old 05-05-2010, 05:31 PM

it sounds like a bad wheel bearing and hub assembly!
Old 05-05-2010, 08:47 PM

is my best bet just going to honda and paying them $50 to pin point the problem?
Old 05-05-2010, 08:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the second clip look and sounds fine to me, thats the noise of the differential working, because u had the other wheel on the ground, so all the gears in the diff would had to turn. the first clip though, sounds like a bad bearing....... try rock it up and down insted of what u did( left and right) there should be no movment
Old 05-05-2010, 09:20 PM

my car started to do the same thing,i have tried to move it around to see if it wobbles, but nothin. i may just replace the wheel bearing to see if thats the problem. i have tried almost everything else. let me know if you fix yours, maybe it will help me.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:44 AM

Mine is doing the same thing. I am hoping it's a bearing and not a bad axle or something - I am lowered and I don't have any kind of spacers on so I hope the uneven wear hasn't gotten bad enough to warrant a CV and/or axle replacement.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:20 AM

search function, guys

@ HiRpmVTEC: sounds like it could be a bad wheel bearing. just because there's no free play doesn't mean the bearing isn't bad. Do you have any vibration in the car that seems related to the noise? Does the noise show up when the car is cold, or do you have to run it for a bit before it shows up? Can you lessen or intensify the noise by turning hard to one side or the other while driving?

@ JPWEraser: do you have vibration? if you don't, it's probably not the CV or axle; even if it is, you can swap the inner CV cups side to side for a free remedy. Not say vibration def does or doesn't mean anything for certain, but a bad wheel bearing typically doesn't start creating vibration until it's_really_bad.

this stuff is all over the UTH forum, a 7 second search will turn up lots of results
Old 05-06-2010, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by my2ks2k,May 6 2010, 10:20 AM
@ JPWEraser: do you have vibration? if you don't, it's probably not the CV or axle; even if it is, you can swap the inner CV cups side to side for a free remedy. Not say vibration def does or doesn't mean anything for certain, but a bad wheel bearing typically doesn't start creating vibration until it's_really_bad.
My car sounds almost exactly like the first video. The car doesn't really vibrate violently or anything, but I can feel a very slight wobble. I had my last set of tires rebalanced thinking that I had thrown a weight off or something but that didn't fix it, and now I have a brand new set of tires on the car and the problem is still there so I don't think its wheels or tires. The problem is most noticeable when going less than 50mph, after 50mph the sound blends in with the rest of the road noise really. It is not temperature related in any way as it occurrs all the time. The noise is coming from the rear wheels, I think the driver's side but I am not 100% certain. I have done searches many times and come up with a lot of results, but none of them seemed to match the problem I was having - either that or everyone's description of the problem is a little different I suppose.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:39 AM

I have also searched the forum, the video helped me to know that he is having the same problem. Got my car aligned and balanced tires and noise is still there. When i take a left turn mine goes away for the moment.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:26 PM

I have no vibration and the noise just seems to be there anytime I'm going above 10mph and louder from there on. Kind of sucks because I bought the car with this noise over a year and half ago and I haven't been able to have a quiet ride.
I don't have the best of tools so self diagnostic the problem is kind of hard but the wheels feel secure. Should I go to dealership and have it examined ?

Quick Reply: Need help diagnosting rear end noise!