S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Need help with cooling fan!

Old 12-19-2009, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with cooling fan!

Okay, so I helped my friend change the cooling fan on his '92 Accord along with the thermostat. The old fan had literally melted through the fan shroud and was just sitting on the radiator core. Well, we put the new one in, refilled the radiator with new coolant and now the car doesn't over-heat, but the fan doesn't turn on either. The AC cooling fan will turn on for about 30 seconds or so and turn off as one would expect the engine cooling fan to do (yes I am 100% positive that we changed the cooling fan). There's no way to switch the wires between the two fans but again, the new one isn't turning on. Anyone know or have any ideas of what the problem is? We fixed the over-heating problem, but now the fan doesn't turn on and I don't want him to get stuck come the spring.
ANY advice would be GREATLY appreciated (other than telling him to sell the car; I've already tried that)
MIKE
Old 12-19-2009, 08:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You said there's no way to switch the wires, but did you turn on the AC just to make sure the new fan doesn't turn on when you do?
Old 12-19-2009, 08:52 PM

fusible link? temp sensor?
Old 12-20-2009, 07:08 PM

I did turn on the AC and no the fan didn't turn on. It was 40 something degrees outside so it was hard to say for sure whether the AC was on but you could hear the compressor turn on and the RPM's dropped very slightly.

Also checked the fuses and don't know where the temp sensor is to check that.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:17 AM

you'd probably get more help by posting in the correct forum
Old 12-21-2009, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by drewmob,Dec 21 2009, 06:17 AM
you'd probably get more help by posting in the correct forum
Old 12-21-2009, 07:31 AM

Can someone please point me in the right direction for the correct forum then?
I posted in 'off topic' because I didn't think it really fit in any other section being that it's not an S2000.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:37 AM

under the hood would be the closest thing this site offers. you could try honda-tech.com since most guys here don't have any specific experience with that car...

i'd recommend just googling for answers as this should be an easy/umbrella fix with a little electrical & mechanical knowledge...
Old 12-21-2009, 07:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drewmob,Dec 21 2009, 11:37 AM
under the hood would be the closest thing this site offers. you could try honda-tech.com since most guys here don't have any specific experience with that car...

i'd recommend just googling for answers as this should be an easy/umbrella fix with a little electrical & mechanical knowledge...
There are also a couple of Accord-specific forums out there that I've actually found helpful when working on my '95 Accord. I think one is called AccordinglyDone, and I can't remember the other one... just google for them. They had some decent tech writeups on doing a front brake swap (to a floating-rotor setup from a '97ish CL) that I used, and a radiator replacement write-up. So, there seems to be some useful technical knowledge there.

Good luck w/ your issue.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by xxMIKExx,Dec 19 2009, 08:28 PM
Okay, so I helped my friend change the cooling fan on his '92 Accord along with the thermostat. The old fan had literally melted through the fan shroud and was just sitting on the radiator core. Well, we put the new one in, refilled the radiator with new coolant and now the car doesn't over-heat, but the fan doesn't turn on either. The AC cooling fan will turn on for about 30 seconds or so and turn off as one would expect the engine cooling fan to do (yes I am 100% positive that we changed the cooling fan). There's no way to switch the wires between the two fans but again, the new one isn't turning on. Anyone know or have any ideas of what the problem is? We fixed the over-heating problem, but now the fan doesn't turn on and I don't want him to get stuck come the spring.
ANY advice would be GREATLY appreciated (other than telling him to sell the car; I've already tried that)
MIKE

good job douchebucket.

Quick Reply: Need help with cooling fan!