S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Need Help, car cutting off while driving

Old 09-12-2005, 07:15 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I know it sounds ridiculous since you've changed your battery recently but my old sentra used to do that with worn out battery. it just couldn't recharge itself and it was not pumping enough eletricity. if you have extra battery, try changing it and see if it does the same.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:21 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ohniki78,Sep 12 2005, 08:55 PM
Is it normal for the wiring to just go bad for no reason? Could it be a bad O2 Sensor?

I actually didn't have to turn the key to get it to start again. When I was driving and the car cut off I just pushed down on the clutch pedal, put the shifter to neutral and just pushed the engine start and it started running again. The car was already moving so when the car started up again I just put in in gear and drove.
Not normal but can happen. A bad O2 sensor will not do what your car is doing.

This is very strange because leaving it roll down the road is just like cranking the engine with the starter button. So having to put in the clutch and into neutral and hitting the starter to start it is very confusing. Something doesn't add up.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:02 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Almost sounds to me like an intermittent electrical short, which is both good/bad in that it's cheap to fix but hard as hell to find.
Might be time to take it to somebody who can start checking wiring.
Best of Luck!
Old 09-13-2005, 06:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=ohniki78,Sep 12 2005, 04:21 PM]. . . The car would just quietly cut off and the light on the dash would all turn on and then shut off.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Modifry has hit the nail on the head, I think.

Since the battery was just replaced a few months ago, my guess is that the problem is right there. I'm guessing one of the terminals is loose. But it could be somewhere else as well; that's just the first place I would start looking.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:10 PM

Can this engine not continue to run even if the battery was disconnected? Like by using alternater power only?
Old 09-13-2005, 07:25 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

It is not adviseable to do so, but yes it will run just fine on the alt alone.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:39 PM

Yes, I realize this. My point is, whether or not the battery terminals (or the battery itself) is bad, this would not create this phenomenon, right?
Old 09-14-2005, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem with it cutting off at low speeds. As long as i had the gas pressed it would continue to stay on. If i let it off, the rpms would drop into a stall. So i kept restarting and restarting the same as you to get home and did a little research. Came down to just unplugging the map sensor, resetting the ecu and using some compressed air on the map sensor plug.

It wasn't causing any check engine lights, just shutting off as clean as can be.

Try to wack at the map sensor some too, just incase
Old 09-19-2005, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Thanks everyone for all the help that you all provided but I found out the cause of the problem.

The gas station that I took my car to (Exxon on Powder Mill Road near to High Point High School in SIlver Spring Maryland) was trying to make some extra cash by puttin in 91 octane fuel in both the 92 and 93 tanks.

I spoke to a few BMW owners that were having the same problem and they all said they filled up at the same Exxon as me. It seemed that when my gas tank started to get empty the cheap 91 octane gas wasn't firing my sparks like it should and my car just cut off. This explaned why my tank got empty so fast and why my car started to idle real low before cutting off.

The way I fixed the problem was I poured in some octane booster (NOS Booster) and ran my car until the gas tank was nearly empty. Then I filled up with 93 Octane fuel from a Shell gas station that I knew were reliable and now my problem is fixed. Its been 3 days and my car hasn't stalled not once and it's running fine like before.

Thanks again everyone for all your help. I learned a ton of new things in the process.
I guess bad gas is never a good thing.

Quick Reply: Need Help, car cutting off while driving