S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

NEED HELP WITH A BLOWN ENGINE!Anyone deal with honda service department and warranty?

Old 06-17-2003, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP WITH A BLOWN ENGINE!Anyone deal with honda service department and warranty?

Hey guys i need some help real quick !

This past weekend while getting onto I-5 south, i was accelerating in 2nd trying to get up to speed of traffic when i heard this loud bang and then my engine died. I took it to the dealership and they said i completely blew the engine, rods/pistons and blew a spark plug causing so much damage they said the engine will need to be replaced. The service tech said it was caused by over revving... saying that i dumped the clutch and misshifted. I said i was already in gear so i couldn't have misshifted but i was thinking that while accelerating maybe i didn't see my rpm's and i got to redline... but wouldn't the rev limiter prevent me from hurting the engine? He said even if the rev limiter failed it's not a warrantable defect because i was in high rev's. Any thoughts on what i can do? I need feedback asap and possibly the best dealership to deal with in seattle. I'm meeting with the service manager this afternoon but could use some info if any other members have had this happen to them and what did the dealership say is and isn't covered in the warranty. Thanks if any of you guys can give some feedback.
Old 06-17-2003, 12:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Over rev can only occur by accidentally downshifting to too low of a gear (like going from 5th to 2nd at 80 MPH). This usually results in more valve damage than piston damage.

Have you ever checked your spark plugs to see if they were tight enough, or had them replaced?
Old 06-17-2003, 12:49 PM

dude those guys bullshit so much, if the revlimiter failed then they would have to replace the engine, if i were you i would take it to another dealer... i hate the service at the dealer i got mine from so i go to akron now, because our dealer is a bullshitter to, its just because they dont want to mess with it...
Old 06-17-2003, 01:21 PM

Actually gernby,

The last time i was at the dealership they replaced my sparklugs due to the sparkplug recall! Could a loose spark plug cause this king of damage?
Old 06-17-2003, 01:26 PM

Also i think there WAS considerable valve damage, but he said that it was characteristic of over revving... not sure if he meant over reving in gear or dumping in wrong gear. But as a side note, that spark plug completely blowing off be a result of not tightened enough spark plugs??

john
Old 06-17-2003, 03:37 PM

Spa4eva,

What dealership are you working with?

If you were simply accelerating in gear, not downshifting, the rev limiter should prevent over-revving. If it did not, it is defective and Honda should cover the damage (assuming you're within warranty). If the engine blew at less than redline (unlikely), Honda again should cover damages.
Old 06-17-2003, 04:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Spa4eva
[B]Actually gernby,

The last time i was at the dealership they replaced my sparklugs due to the sparkplug recall!
Old 06-17-2003, 06:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Spa4eva
[B]Actually gernby,

The last time i was at the dealership they replaced my sparklugs due to the sparkplug recall!
Old 06-17-2003, 08:00 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally posted by gernby
Take it to another dealer.
Wisely spoken. In other terms....TAKE IT TO ANOTHER DEALER...

It is obvious they are responsible if it is a plug problem and will try to get out of their responsibility. Another dealer would not worry about it being their fault and just deal with you properly.
Old 06-18-2003, 11:44 AM

get a lawyer and write to american honda and let them take apart the motor and look up the problems of this car its warranty ect...

Quick Reply: NEED HELP WITH A BLOWN ENGINE!Anyone deal with honda service department and warranty?