S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

need help with alignment problems

Old 04-13-2012, 09:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need help with alignment problems

let me start by telling you what i got on my car. i have eibach pro-kit springs 1'' drop and koni yellows.

now my problem. i just got back from the alignment shop and first off they said i'd need a camber kit. and apparently i do because the bolts were at the max and still had -1.9 in the rear and thats as close to 0 as it would get on both sides in the rear. I'm confused because I've read that i probably don't need to get a camber kit with just a 1'' inch drop. thats the problems at the rear.

at the front it was the same story but worse. the left front tire had -2.5 camber with the adjusting bolt maxed out and the right front was at -0.9 camber with the bolt maxed out. i didn't take their word for it i saw this myself. he asked me if it had been crashed in the left front but it hasnt . the car has a record of a minor rear end collision not a big deal. I've taken the whole front end apart before and there was no evidence of a front end collision or structural damage. so I'm confused as hell

so my questions are what camber kits should i get that are decent for the front and rear. (which type, etc.)

and what could cause the front alignment numbers to be so different in reference to camber if the bolt adjustments are the same and caster and toe are ok.
thanks in advance for any input.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

???
Old 04-13-2012, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to find someone capable of aligning the S2000. Honestly, you best bet IMO is to take it to BMW for an alignment. You have to finagle (is that a word?) the caster in the front to make camber correct. In the rear you will have to play with toe to get it right. The manual says that you have to set rear camber then rotate the adjustment for toe equally opposite of camber at the same time. If you can get to -1.9 then you should be able to get to -1.5.

In short, find a different shop or tech. If you feel you need a camber kit I suggest the Eibach/SPC kits from tire rack. They are the same, but you save money buying the Eibach pair. There are several other options available as well that replace the lower ball joint instead of the upper. If you have an AP1 and stock wheels (or 16 inch) the fitment of the SPC ball joints is not recommended from the manufacturer. They might not clear properly.