S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Need help or advice 02 s2000 cranks but won't start

Old 04-09-2013, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And no the head has not been off but my timing chain tensioner has been making some racket for quite awhile.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check crank sensor by the timing cover. Check the signal see if its sending signal. Im not sure, but it should have 2 wires. with out the crank signal, the car wont know when to fire the spark, it will still spark, just randomly.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:37 PM

Should've performed a compression and leak down test before purchasing the new motor. Check all the sensors but TDC and crank sensor. A bad TCT shouldn't cause a car to not start. If you have fuel and spark all you're really missing is compression or air for that matter, check your intake to make sure it's flowing freely, if anything just take it off completely and let it run off the throttle body.
Since you've spliced the harness, definitely check those connections again. Is it a stock ECU? I'm not even sure you can run a stock ECU with all the mods you claim the motor to have.

Have you started the engine before, or have you just swapped it in?
Old 04-10-2013, 01:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jsenclosures
Originally Posted by leeohhness' timestamp='1365387974' post='22458083
Battery? Alternator?
How would these even be related? He said the car cranks and he has fuel and spark...I hate people who post with no knowledge base.

Are you getting a green key on the cluster when you turn on the key? It should turn on then off, sounds like it could be an immobilizer issue, although the immobilizer would cut fuel so...hmm.
They actually are related. My friends S2k wouldnt start although it was showing a solid green key that went out after a few seconds, it would just crank and not start.

I put my battery on his car and it started first time. It appears to needs a lot of power to disarm the immobiliser properly plus the high compression of the engine must have something to do with it.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:10 PM

I didn't purchase the motor. The guy I bought the car from did, he was my boss and he is the one that did all the work to the car. I trust the work he did. I'm pretty sure it's a stock ECU. But the motor has had some internal work done. Like I said it was set up for nitrous but it no longer has the nitrous on it. I am doing a compression check tomorrow to see what I get. I have been looking into the possibility of the timing slipping. Has that happened to anyone else? My tensioner has been making some noise for the last couple of months so I was wondering
Old 04-10-2013, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dereks2k
I didn't purchase the motor. The guy I bought the car from did, he was my boss and he is the one that did all the work to the car. I trust the work he did. I'm pretty sure it's a stock ECU. But the motor has had some internal work done. Like I said it was set up for nitrous but it no longer has the nitrous on it. I am doing a compression check tomorrow to see what I get. I have been looking into the possibility of the timing slipping. Has that happened to anyone else? My tensioner has been making some noise for the last couple of months so I was wondering
I don't believe belt slip would affect timing at all. The chain could jump a tooth, however I've heard from many people on the forums that it is not likely ( to near impossible ).
Old 04-10-2013, 09:06 PM

Well that's reassuring I was worried about the timing getting off. To explain more before the no start problem I was having issues with the car stalling. When I would come up to stop when I pushed the clutch in to go into neutral the car would either almost stall and recover or it would just stall. On the way home from work it stalled about 6 miles from my house. It wouldn't start back up just crank over and over again. Ended up getting it towed back here and here I am.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:50 PM

Well that's reassuring I was worried about the timing getting off. To explain more before the no start problem I was having issues with the car stalling. When I would come up to stop when I pushed the clutch in to go into neutral the car would either almost stall and recover or it would just stall. On the way home from work it stalled about 6 miles from my house. It wouldn't start back up just crank over and over again. Ended up getting it towed back here and here I am.
To put your mind at ease, you could always pop the valve cover off and make sure your timing marks are all aligned properly. Might as well check valve clearence while you're in there.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Murphg05
Originally Posted by Dereks2k' timestamp='1365656784' post='22466384
To put your mind at ease, you could always pop the valve cover off and make sure your timing marks are all aligned properly. Might as well check valve clearence while you're in there.

How do I check timing marks I'm pretty mechanically inclined just don't have much experience with timing belts or chains and how do I check valve clearence?
Old 04-11-2013, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Murphg05' timestamp='1365659412' post='22466448
[quote name='Dereks2k' timestamp='1365656784' post='22466384']

How do I check timing marks I'm pretty mechanically inclined just don't have much experience with timing belts or chains and how do I check valve clearence?
[/quote]
Check the DIY section for step by step VA. They will walk you through the whole process start to finish. When you remove the valve cover there is a line on the main cam gear that should be lined up with the surface of the head, and there are lines on the the cams that should point towards each other when the crank is at TDC. Should look like the pics attached....
cam marks
crank mark