S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Need an Engine....Spoon long block?

Old 03-01-2022, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need an Engine....Spoon long block?

The engine failed in my 2003 S2000. Valve dropped and the head/block is done. A used engine is 6-7k with high miles....seems like a waste. Should I just pickup a rebuilt SPOON engine for 12k? It seems to be worth it for peace of mind, a little extra power, and of course the street cred. Anyone here have any experience with the spoon engine? Anyone want to sell me an F20c?

Car is a weekend/DE car.
Old 03-02-2022, 01:31 AM

Received 422 Likes on 386 Posts

Could do a K series swap for less
Old 03-02-2022, 03:39 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,418 Likes on 1,052 Posts

The initial cost of a K swap is very high, if you care about doing it correctly.

However, once you do it, you're into cheap, disposable engines that make excellent power.

Its a very good option.

I'm sure the Spoon F series engine is great. I don't know the specs, though. Your valve dropped likely due to an over rev and/or cracked retainer. Not sure if the Spoon engine uses AP1 retainers or if they're the upgraded AP2 version.

Find a retailer and ask them for all the pertinent specs.
Old 03-02-2022, 06:06 AM

Received 436 Likes on 324 Posts

Are K-series engines still cheap and disposable beyond k20a3 and maybe k24a4 with all the dorks from every other platform using them?
Old 03-02-2022, 06:21 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
Are K-series engines still cheap and disposable beyond k20a3 and maybe k24a4 with all the dorks from every other platform using them?

As far as I know, the JDM Odyssey 3 lobe K24 is still ~$1200

I am sure the supply of those and the USDM TSX engines will start to dwindle at some point. Even though they are massively plentiful, worldwide.

BUT...the K24Z is a good backup plan. Acura/Honda made so many 2nd gen TSX's and 9th gen Civic Si's.

That should keep the K market viable for some time.

Companies are starting to do K20C swaps into S2000's, and I'm sure the 2.0T Accord engine and 1.5L turbo (used in almost every Honda) will be next.
The following users liked this post:
FrenchyK (03-05-2022)
Old 03-02-2022, 11:25 AM

Received 115 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
Companies are starting to do K20C swaps into S2000's, and I'm sure the 2.0T Accord engine and 1.5L turbo (used in almost every Honda) will be next.
Any updates/success on these? I remember seeing a YT video project intro about this a year or so ago. I never followed through tho.

Old 03-02-2022, 11:55 AM

Received 140 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
Seems like there are still plenty to go around although prices have crept up. Not sure if that's due to stock running low or prices just rising in general. Pre-pandemic it seemed like a JDM longblock K24a2 was going for around $800, now it's around $1200.

The big difference in my eye is they take better to rebuilding so there's always the option of rebuilding a couple times and potentially be set for life.

Old 03-02-2022, 12:11 PM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Jah2000
Any updates/success on these? I remember seeing a YT video project intro about this a year or so ago. I never followed through tho.
Evaisve was/is working on one.

I think SOS has a package that they're either prototype testing or selling.

Originally Posted by zze86
Seems like there are still plenty to go around although prices have crept up. Not sure if that's due to stock running low or prices just rising in general. Pre-pandemic it seemed like a JDM longblock K24a2 was going for around $800, now it's around $1200.

The big difference in my eye is they take better to rebuilding so there's always the option of rebuilding a couple times and potentially be set for life.
Yes, prices crept up. Its likely just due to heightened popularity and the pandemic.

They are easily rebuildable. However....who's rebuilding a $1200 Honda engine? and why?

Blow up, rinse, repeat my bro

Building for performance, yes. That makes sense.

Remember though....the K24 comes from a GD odyssey. Its not outright a performance driven engine like the F series. BUT...since its a Honda engine, it has a little bit of "race engine" built in.

It doesn't have the longevity the F series has when used on a track. You need to address its weak points. Oil pumps, balancing, etc.
Old 03-02-2022, 01:57 PM

Received 140 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
Yes, prices crept up. Its likely just due to heightened popularity and the pandemic.

They are easily rebuildable. However....who's rebuilding a $1200 Honda engine? and why?

Blow up, rinse, repeat my bro

Building for performance, yes. That makes sense.

Remember though....the K24 comes from a GD odyssey. Its not outright a performance driven engine like the F series. BUT...since its a Honda engine, it has a little bit of "race engine" built in.

It doesn't have the longevity the F series has when used on a track. You need to address its weak points. Oil pumps, balancing, etc.
I agree at $1200 it makes sense to just replace. Heck even at $2000 for the performance variants it makes sense to just replace. But...how many engines do you blow up a year, lol? I think it would take me at least 5 years to blow one up. Swap in a replacement and give it another 5 years, At that point who knows what the supply/prices will be like and it may make more sense to just rebuild one, especially the more sought-after variants.
Old 03-02-2022, 03:35 PM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by zze86
I agree at $1200 it makes sense to just replace. Heck even at $2000 for the performance variants it makes sense to just replace. But...how many engines do you blow up a year, lol? I think it would take me at least 5 years to blow one up. Swap in a replacement and give it another 5 years, At that point who knows what the supply/prices will be like and it may make more sense to just rebuild one, especially the more sought-after variants.
The $1200 3 lobe (RBB) K24 is one of the better variants. Sure, it was in an Odyssey and every young professional's TSX. But it has forged internals, giant 3 lobe cams, piston squirters, etc.

The desirable 2.0L variants are all relatively big dollars nowadays. The K20A with a red valve cover is like $5K for a longblock nowadays. Used to be able to get them at $2500 lol.

The shit variants all have 2 lobe cams and you can trade a pack of cigarettes for 3 of them.

The "middle ground" K24Z variants are right in between, in terms of cost, vesatility, and potential.

The RBB K24 is the biggest bang for one's buck.

But its got like a 100mm stroke and wasn't meant as a track engine. The advantage is that it makes power down low...so you don't have to wring it out. If you keep revs low, it should last. But...you have to address a few key things for longevity....or...yeah, you'll blow one up every year (assuming you're tracking it heavily).

Even sauced up, its not as durable as a bulletproof F series. The F bomb is industrial grade. Hence the cost.

Most of the 2.4L's are big power engines that can be disposable-ish.

The 3 lobe 2.0's don't rip as hard as the 2.4 since there absolutely is no replacement for displacement...but have key refinements that make them more durable in track use.

If this is for street use...then...no....you'll NEVER blow it up unless you over rev it or throw a ton of boost at it. There's 500+K mile TSX's out there. Someone dyno'd one with 530K miles on the original engine and trans. I think it showed an 8whp loss from a typical "fresh" one.

Quick Reply: Need an Engine....Spoon long block?