S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

need advise aem sucked water into the motor....

Old 06-09-2002, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advise aem sucked water into the motor....

car will not turn over nothing.just wounder what this means. i know that my insurance company is going to look at it on monday. does any1 know what this means?
Old 06-09-2002, 07:13 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hydrolock. How do you know it sucked in water? You have to drive in some really deep water for that to happen.
Old 06-09-2002, 07:19 PM

yea it was rainning all day here in fl and happen to get stuck.
Old 06-09-2002, 08:04 PM

Sorry to hear that man..
That's why you need by-pass valve
They cost about 50 bucks.
Old 06-10-2002, 04:41 AM

Have not had this happen to me but have spoken with others who have, (not S2Ks). Both said they pulled the plugs and cranked the engine. Water spurts out of the plug holes holes, they replace the plugs and they're "OK...."

Personally, I wouldn't call that OK, but their cars are still running. You might try it.
Old 06-10-2002, 06:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If the engine stalled immediately when you hit the water, then you might have lucked out. Since the engine would have to generate quite a bit of vacuum to suck the water 2 ft up the AEM pipe, it may have just stalled the engine and fouled the plugs.

I wasn't so lucky a few years ago in my honda civic. I was running at high enough RPMs that the engine pumped the water right on in. Since water won't compress 10:1 like air does, it cracked the block and bent the rods. I was able to drive home, but the engine had very little power, and made a LOT of racket. Luckily my insurance paid for a new engine.

Check your plugs and your oil. If your plugs are wet with gasoline, then try replacing them. You should also crank the engine over a few turns with the starter while the plugs are out. If there is water in your oil ... your hosed. If the engine died immediately, and hasn't run since, it's difficult to tell if there is water in the oil, but if it ran some after, your oil will look like creamed coffee.
Old 06-10-2002, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by gernby
...your oil will look like creamed coffee.
mmm... free coffee machine

story behind this? about 6 months ago i was in a friend's GSR. the rain had puddled the roads. usually my friend runs his short-ram under these conditions, but the rain came unexpectedly. the car shut off by itself after a couple miles of rough rpm behavior and unsteady idling. luckily i'm an internet junkie and i sit and read a lot of useless (only at the time i read it) info. he wanted to crank it again, but i told him we should just tow it home. it was somewhat time consuming but AAA tows free so it was all good. we got it to his house and pushed the car up into the garage. we pulled the intake, intake manifold, plugs etc. cleaned it all up, cranked the motor w/ the plugs off and there was no water. we let it dry just to make sure and started her up and it was fine.

fast-foward to one month ago. my friend's radiator dies out and his car overheats. he changed the radiator and that second radiator dies out again. turns out the thermostat was stuck and his motor was screwed. we took it apart and realized we had invented a coffee machine that creams your coffee for you!

long story short, water + oil + air + reciprocating movement = free coffee for allllllll

jk
Old 06-10-2002, 09:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW, great FYI thread.

Thanks,
Tan
Old 06-10-2002, 07:11 PM

hey all just an update but first thanks for the great advise.

no water damage. this is because i was going only at idel speed so the water had no chance of going up the intake to the motor. the insurance guy was the best didnt even say anything about the intake. the car shut off because the lack of air? this is what honda said. but so it cost me an oil change and plugs. now it looks like off to the corvette dealer for a new Z06. sorry to have to let her go but cant trust the promise of it will be fine just drive it.
josh
Old 06-11-2002, 06:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Josh,

I saw a Silver S2000 with a red AEM intake at Rick Case Honda today with a suspected case of hydrolock. Was it your car? If so, the service technician that worked on it, Max, is one good mechanic as far as I'm concerned. If he said it was OK, I'd believe him.

Even so, the new ZO6 is a pretty amazing car. I'd go for it if you can, hydrolock or not .

Quick Reply: need advise aem sucked water into the motor....