S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Need advice!...Check engine light with test pipe:

Old 09-26-2002, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Latest update: Caspers is now data-logging on an S2K that's local to them and testing the new unit on an RSX (which is generating slightly different error codes). No date yet on the next iteration, but I think I get to sit on the sidelines for a while instead of being their beta tester. Which is fine by me. Will keep you all posted....
Old 09-26-2002, 06:17 PM

I think they should refund your money when they finally get it working 100%.
Old 09-27-2002, 05:44 AM

Me, too, but I'll raise the issue only once they've gotten it working... :-)
Old 09-27-2002, 07:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to be an ass, but I still fail to see why they are going through the simulation bit on the secondary O2... if you are using the signal from the primary, you shouldn't need to simulate anything. Perhaps they tried just a resistor and it did not work, but I know it works on other models.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out. I may try the resistor bit myself to see if or how well it works.
Old 09-27-2002, 08:51 AM

i'll post a graph of secondary and primary o2 sensor voltage over time this weekend so everyone can see the relationship between the two in a "normal" s2000.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by marcucci
[B]I hate to be an ass, but I still fail to see why they are going through the simulation bit on the secondary O2... if you are using the signal from the primary, you shouldn't need to simulate anything. Perhaps they tried just a resistor and it did not work, but I know it works on other models.
Old 09-27-2002, 01:03 PM

.02 cents. I tried on my friends 97 civic with LS motor. I took the primary O2 signal and tap to the secondary O2 signal. Secondary O2 signal is not connected to the O2 sensor.
Old 09-27-2002, 01:25 PM

secondary o2 signal comes from ...... the secondary o2 sensor!

one is before the cat, the other is after. the ecu looks for a difference between the two to verify that the cat is working. many people with OBDII hondas that have a test pipe simply put a resistor on a tap from the primary signal, and feed that into the ECU's secondary signal line. this fools the computer into thinking you have a catalytic converter.

we are hypothesising that since it works on other OBDII hondas, it would work on an S2000.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RayN
[B].02 cents.
Old 09-27-2002, 02:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Has anyone tested the resistor solution on the S2000? Anyone could try it out (Including myself), since you don't have to actually have a test pipe installed to see if the ECU can be fooled.
Old 09-27-2002, 09:45 PM

My take on this is as follows. The guys at Caspers are electrical engineers (whether they're any good, it's impossible to verify, but they certainly speak with authority).

When I mentioned the resistor idea to them, they said that it won't work on the S2K. Whether they're right or not, I don't know. But the S2K generates different error codes than, say, the RSX, when both are equipped with a testpipe. Which leads me to believe that the ECU algorythms are different.

But I haven't the resistor idea myself and I know of nobody who has. I'd give it a try except that I'm spending my weekend installing my new speakers... :-)

But Marcucci, you're post was appreciated -- and I don't think you're being anything other helpful. We're all trying to get this thing resolved.

I'll keep you posted, and if anyone wants to try the resistor idea, pls. post your findings. And Schwett, if you can send me the plots by email in Excel, I'll pass them along to Caspers. Thanks!

Later on....
Old 10-09-2002, 09:00 AM

I'm planning to call Caspers today to see where things stand, so I *might* have some new information for you soon....

Quick Reply: Need advice!...Check engine light with test pipe: