S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Need advice!...Check engine light with test pipe:

Old 08-22-2002, 08:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dersark
[B]please help

I would like to check the spark plugs on my S2000. I looked around the engine and could not find them.
Old 08-22-2002, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys.

Gernby: I've not tried removing the backup fuse, if only because it would also require me to reset my narrow V-AFC settings which is more hassle than I want to deal with. My ECU successfully learned its way around the original settings, which is a good thing because the car ran quite rough immediately after the turbo installation . It now runs great. I'd rather not climb the relearning curve every time I start the car. And then there's the issue of the headlight warning light, which I find a useful feature, as I often turn my lights on in traffic during the day (and often forget they're on until the buzzer reminds me). But thanks for reminding me that it's an option.

Marcucci: neat idea. What I may do if this new simulator unit doesn't fix the problem is put your suggestion to the Casper's people to see if that helps them diagnose what's happening.

AndyP: thanks. It's pretty cool, as avatar's go, no?

Later guys,
Old 08-22-2002, 10:05 AM
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gernby
[B]

I didn't mention these because most people view the AC memory reset as a good thing, and I have the same idling issues whether the backup fuse is in or out.
Old 08-22-2002, 10:36 AM
Former Sponsor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by infinitebass
[B]

Have you checked the MAP sensor?
Old 08-22-2002, 12:50 PM
Banned

Ah, ok. At the beginning of the summer, I had that problem sometimes when the engine was cold, and then randomly. It hasn't been acting up lately though, even in this damned Texas weather.

Blake
Old 08-23-2002, 09:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not the MAP sensor, it appears to the a function of the ECU while learning. Yes, Greg, I've seen the same issue you have.

cebnder, what are you talking about with the narrow settings? Removing the fuse won't affect them at all. Don't know what you are getting at.
Old 08-23-2002, 09:59 AM

All: the replacement sensor unit from Caspers didn't work, but they're already at work on a new design, which reads the rear O2 sensor output and then interprets it before sending a signal to the ECU. They hgope that this will fix the problem. Their assessment comes from working with a local customer who's got an RSX Type R and is experiecing similar problems. In any case, I give them the highest marks for standing behind their work. I'm cautiously optimistic that this next "fix" will work. I'm virtually certain that they'll eventually get it right, just based on how they've responded to each of my calls. Good company.

Marcucci: my understanding is that the ECU "learns" under narrow throttle conditions, thereby continually adjusting the air/fuel map in response to the sensor inputs. (Under wide throttle, it just follows a set mapping. In my case, the mapping is modified by the V-AFC.) Thus, if I remove the backup fuse, the ECU will unlearn it's narrow throttle settings every time I stop and then restart the car. For me, that's a problem as my existing narrow throttle settings (as specified by the V-AFC) aren't very good. The car ran pretty badly on narrow throttle for a week or so until the ECU learned its way around them. Sure, I could set the V-AFC settings for narrow throttle all to zero, but there's still no guaranty that the stock settings will be any better with the turbo, and there's also the risk of running too lean. In short, I don't want to blank the ECU's memory every time I stop and restart the car. Hope that makes some sense. I don't pretend to really understand the issue. I'll pass your suggestion (about the reisistor) on to Caspers. Thanks, again.
Old 08-23-2002, 10:18 AM
Former Sponsor

I didn't realize that you had a turbo. However, the ECU is always learning, and changing the way it operates. Your V-AFC and turbo won't learn, or change they way they operate with the ECU. So it seems to me that it would almost be better to start off with default settings every day, so that you can tune the V-AFC and turbo to work with them. I am just guessing. I don't know anything about turbos, but I really liked how the engine ran with the Backup fuse pulled.
Old 08-23-2002, 10:54 AM

Gernby and Marcucci:

I think the ECU simply runs a fuel map at wide open throttle, so it's really only learning under narrow throttle conditions.

Resetting the ECU every time I turn off the car means that my ECU will lose the nice smooth narrow throttle settings it's learned so effectively since I got the car tuned.

I'd much rather suffer a constant MIL than have to live with bad fuel tuning every time I start the car. So, as tradeoffs go, removing the backup fuse still doesn't seem very appealing.

By the way, Caspers says that their simulator is proven to work with Preludes and then explained to me why (although I confess that I didn't really get it). In any case, that means the S2K (and, also, apparently, the Civic Si) are somehow different, so the resistor idea won't work. But thanks for the suggestions!
Old 08-28-2002, 07:36 PM

Quick update: Caspers says the new simulator unit will be ready by the end of this week and I'll have it by the end of next week. They get big points for responsiveness, although I'm still without a working simulator. Will keep you posted.

Quick Reply: Need advice!...Check engine light with test pipe: