S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

need advice on buying tools

Old 12-24-2001, 12:54 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

remember, you don't need the "best" you just need good enough to do the job properly.
BTW, I've got some S-K stuff thats not as nice as Craftsman stuff
Old 12-24-2001, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by jschmidt
Spider: I'd like to hear more about the torque wrenches. I have a 3/8" dial type that I've used for a good long time with success. Every now and then I compare it to a beam type and it seems to stay spot-on.
I recently bought a Craftsman torque wrench and other tools. When I was at the checkout counter, I was told everything has a lifetime warranty except the torque wrench because it needs recalibration as often as once a year and that isn't covered under warranty. I ended up returning the torque wrench and went with Husky which has a 10-100 ft-lb model, whereas Craftsman's only 10-75 ft-lb. I get to tighten the oil drain bolt (29 ft-lb) and lug nuts (80 ft-lb) with one torque wrench.

/Rog
Old 12-24-2001, 02:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Roger,

While Sears doesn't offer a lifetime warantee on their torque wrenches, here's what they DO offer:

90 days - repair due to defect in material or workmanship and/or calibration.

1 year - repair due to defect in material or workmanship (no recalibration).

However, if a torque wrench is used properly, it needs to be checked/calibrated infrequently (Sears suggests every 5,000 torque applications if used in an assembly-line fashion). You can return it to Sears for recalibration (for a nominal fee).

My Craftsman has a range of 20-150 ft-lbs., so more than enough range for everyday use, including lug nuts. Cost, $100, and I think they offer 3 or 4 models of varying ranges.

Note to users...you should return the setting to it's lowest point when the wrench is being stored to avoid overly stressing the internal components.
Old 12-24-2001, 02:13 PM

remember, you don't need the "best" you just need good enough to do the job properly. BTW, I've got some S-K stuff thats not as nice as Craftsman stuff
Good point. And based on all the helpful, favorable replies of Craftsman, I'll be heading down to Sears.
Old 12-24-2001, 02:31 PM

Don't get me wrong. I always go to Sears to buy tools. Only if I can't find what I like there, I would go elsewhere. I needed a 3/8" torque wrench that can do both drain plug and lug nuts. I can't find one at Sears. The 20-150 ft-lb one is a 1/2" if I remember correctly. Plus, it is way too long to torque the drain plug with because my car has an X-brace. I have to jack up the car extra high just to use the torque wrench. So, the shorter the wrench, the better, in this case.
Old 12-24-2001, 03:04 PM
pfb

[QUOTE]Originally posted by josh3io
[B]...and brake line (specific name slips my mind) wrenches
Old 12-24-2001, 03:15 PM
pfb

Originally posted by kster
Thanks . People were stating that the quality is a step down from Facom, Snap-on and S-K. Does everyone agree with this?
Snap-on makes some nice stuff, but IMHO, the prices aren't just expensive, they're astronomical! And unless you work in a garage, it's kind of a pain to meet up with the Snap-on guy driving around in his $400,000 truck.

I am constantly amazed at how much junior mechanics dump from their paycheck into snap-on tools. It's almost like indentured servitude with the huge credit debt they run up with Snap-on.I guess they got to pay for that truck somehow

But I must admit, I have a Snap-on flex head 3/8" ratchet that I use constantly, and it just feels better and works better than the cheaper Craftsman ratchet I use as a spare. I often check a pawn shop I might run across for used Snap-on tools at reasonable prices, but it's usually complete sets they want a fortune for or odd-ball stuff that other folks have passed on. Much more used Snap-on SAE tools than Metric as well
Old 12-24-2001, 03:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want Snap-On quality but don't want to cough up THAT much $$, check out the Proto brand. While I agree 100% with the recommended Craftsman lifetime replacement warranty (and I've seen tools replaced again and again) there's a few jobs I won't trust my skin to a wrench that MAY break. I haven't had ANY trouble with Proto wrenches.
Old 12-24-2001, 07:14 PM

Proto is good too. They're at Lowes now.

Snap-On is an interesting company. Their most common tools are astronomical (and the comment about indentured servitude is true). Recently, I went to thier website, though, and I was surprised at some of the prices for less common tools. They were pretty reasonable. And they're a sure bet if you don't want to have to be concerned about quality. I don't think they sell a bad tool.

Common wrenches and wrench sets? I don't think there is any way to justify the price (unless you need credit) even for a pro.

They're always at the swap meet too.
Old 12-24-2001, 10:43 PM

I've been thinking about picking up some tools to have as my own...since my brother in law is a car nut he's got all types of tools. But searching through his things for the right tools can be a pain...I may pick up a few things just to get a couple of jobs done that I do often. Sounds like Sears is the best place to go.

Jaykkub

Quick Reply: need advice on buying tools