S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

need advice on buying tools

Old 12-24-2001, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I'm looking to buy a socket set and a torque wrench but I'm a total novice in this area so I could use some help. Based on reading a few web sites, I've compiled this questions:

1. SK Tools and Facom seem to be highly recommended as brands that are affordable and will last a long time. Has anyone used these tools? Can anyone recommend a retailer?

2. Should I buy a 6 point or 12 point socket set? Why?

3. I'd like to go with a 1/2" drive ratchet and a 1/2" drive torque wrench so that I can share the same sockets. Would I be better off going with a 3/8" drive? Or should I plan on buying both sizes? Would the 1/2" drive ratchet ever be too large for smaller jobs?

Thanks!
Old 12-24-2001, 10:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not a master mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, but I'll try to answer from my personal experiences...

1) I personally buy everything from Craftsman...they are found at any local Sears store (what city DOESN'T have a Sears?!), and are guaranteed for LIFE. This may sound like a load of crap any tool maker can claim, but Sears follows through. My brother's father-in-law bought a large cargo truck at auction, and in it he found a large toolchest of Craftsman tools that were thoroughly rusted (some even rusted together). He gave the entire set to my brother who took them back to Sears. Sears replaced the entire toolset, no questions asked....we're talking about THOUSANDS of dollars in tools, replaced instantly. Not too shabby, in my opinion...you pay a bit more, but the quality is one of the best.

2) 8-point sockets are used for square-head nuts, while 6- and 12-point sockets are used for hex-head nuts. Area for area, 6-points will be stronger since there is more mass around the bolt corners (what the sockets push on) and may not strip a bolt head as fast. 12-pointers are nice to use for box-head wrenches (fully closed ends) as they require only a small amount of movement to reseat the wrench after every twist (nice for tight spaces). Buy both, if you can afford it...get the largest set you can comfortably afford, and fill in as you come across wrenches you need.

3) Definitely be prepared to buy both size ratchets, as there are plenty of jobs too large for a 1/2". For tight spaces, only a small ratchet will do, and those are almost always 3/8". I suggest only the 1/2" torque, as most jobs that require a torque wrench are generally on larger bolts, and if needed, you can always have around a 1/2" to 3/8" converter ($5?).
Old 12-24-2001, 10:24 AM

Craftsman is good quality and decently priced. You break it, you bring it in, you get a new tool.

If you can afford it, Snap On is the best. When you don't want to cut corners or save money, these are the tools to go with.
Old 12-24-2001, 10:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Facom products are wonderful stuff, but I have to agree with the other replies, buy Craftsman products at your local Sears store.

Some of the tools in my toolbox I have been using for more than 25 years. If I need a tool I don't even think about it, I just go to Sears!

I wish all things in life were this easy to decide!

There is one tool I would also recommend, a torque wrench. Never use a torque wrench to loosen stuff but for getting things tight this is the best way to go. If you are working on the S2000, the service manual will provide torque settings for everything. The idea here is you will learn how tight to make things with out going over.

Good luck.
Old 12-24-2001, 11:14 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a set of craftsmans sockets and rachets. The kit comes with both metric and US sockets, 3/8 and 1/2 inch. A very versatile kit that I have used for many, many years.
Old 12-24-2001, 11:29 AM
pfb

Lots of good European tools including Facom, but they tend to be very pricey and have somewhat unusual ergonomics.

Lots of good U.S. tools, including Craftsman, Snap-on, Mac, S-K, some of the private brand Lowes/Home depot tools, etc. They range from very expensive to very reasonable, especially with the craftsman stuff on sale.

Some Japanese (hand)tools are o.k., but most Asian tools (Taiwan and Korean tools notably) sold in this country are pretty much crap and should be avoided.

The best tools will be forged, with a polished finish. Below that are forged tools with minimal polishing, and below that are cast tools which will break causing stripped fastners and smashed knuckles.

The best tools are precise in their fastener contact surfaces to avoid slipping, and have little features to make them easier to use.

Craftsman has by far the best deals, especially if you pick up one of their promotional sale tool sets. Personally, I think you are better off with a more complete Craftsman set than a less complete snap-on or facom set.

For working on something like an S2000, I'd suggest a metric set that includes a 1/4" rachet set, 3/8" rachet set, 1/2" rachet set, an extra set of 3/8" deep sockets, an extra set of 3/8" hex key sockets, spark plug socket, combination wrenches from 8mm to 16mm, a full screwdriver set, and a 1/2" torque wrench.

All of this should cost less than $200 if you buy a set on sale and add a few extra items. Go to www.craftsman.com and search for "tool sets" to get an idea of what is availabe. Your hardest decision will be deciding which one to buy!
Old 12-24-2001, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by MacGyver
I personally buy everything from Craftsman...they are found at any local Sears store (what city DOESN'T have a Sears?!), and are guaranteed for LIFE...
Except their torque wrenches.

/Rog
Old 12-24-2001, 12:01 PM

my father bought me the craftsman 400piece mechanic toolkit. more sockets and wrenches than i'll ever need in my entire life, but i'll never need to buy another ratchet set again. He bought it on sale after last christmas for a couple hundred $$ off regular price. there are 6-points and 12-points of almost every size for 1/4,3/8 and 1/2 ratchets. box, monkey and brake line (specific name slips my mind) wrenches of every size. Universal joints of every size, three different extension lengths for every size, and size converters to go between any of them. Multiple size ratchets for each size bit also.

My only complaint is that it does not come with organizational skills!
Old 12-24-2001, 12:18 PM

I too would recommend a Craftsman set. For the money you can't go wrong. One caveat: Recently I took back a bunch of screwdrivers (some twenty years old.) There has been a noticable decline in the quality of these standard level drivers over the years. It was obvious when they were side by side that both the materials and robustness seemed to have declined. I'm not expecting the replacements to last nearly as long and I'm thinking about buying better drivers for 3/16" flat blade and #2 Phillips since these are such common usage sizes. Shouldn't make any difference to a home mechanic though, you'll just replace them more often. I'd still recommend them for your needs.

Spider: I'd like to hear more about the torque wrenches. I have a 3/8" dial type that I've used for a good long time with success. Every now and then I compare it to a beam type and it seems to stay spot-on.
Old 12-24-2001, 12:27 PM

Thanks for all the great replies, they have been very helpful. My first thought a few days ago was to go with Craftsman tools, but then when I did some research, I read that some of the newer Craftsman tools were not as well built as the older ones. People were stating that the quality is a step down from Facom, Snap-on and S-K. Does everyone agree with this?

As you guys have said, Craftsman tools are a good bargain and there is a Sears everywhere so maybe I will wait until the post Christmas sales start and go take a look. Thanks!

Quick Reply: need advice on buying tools