S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Nasty engine noise between 3-4k rpm...not TCT.. low but consistent compression.. need help

Old 11-13-2011, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nasty engine noise between 3-4k rpm...not TCT.. low but consistent compression.. need help

Ok guys I need some expert opinions here.

My 2000 S2k has developed an unsettling and loud (especially when cold) cackcackcack ing sound between 3-4000 RPM. It seems kinda loud overall as well (only having my brother's long sold bone stock CR to compare to), but the concering sound only happens between 3-4 and especially under light load and maybe 10% throttle and COLD. Sometimes when hot it almost all but goes away. I should also mention that it burns oil to the tune of 1.5 quarts per 3k oil change maybe more with conventional valvoline and has 89,000 on the odo.

After talking to the local independent honda mechanic (who drives a spa yellow AP1) and some research it sounded like the TCT was THE culprit. The sound comes from the front/top of the motor and that HAD to be it! I replaced the TCT with a brand new one, no improvement.

So I took the valve cover off to do inspection, valve adjustment, compression and leakdown:

-Valves were all within a couple thous, 5 or 6 needed no adjustment at all, tightenned up the rest to spec

-All valves looked like this one:

Didn't find any evidence of cracking retainers and sunken valve stems that plague the AP1 intake side

The plugs were consitent but old, looked like this:

Again, no cause for alarm, no wetness or oily-ness

The leakdown was stellar, 3%,5%,4%,5%. used 100 psi

The compression test concerned me though. I got 160,160,160,155. With a couple squirts of oil 175,180,180,175 . These numbers seem very low compared to everyone else's reports here of 220-240 for a healthy motor. I used a harbor freight tester which didn't seem to have a schrader valve in the hose?? anyone know what that's about?

Anyway the oil test shows i have a leak somewhere, I'm thinking valve guides (because of burning oil) or rings. I'm not sure of the abuse this thing had before I got it, but rings seem more likely to me becuase everything in the head seemed so good, and the evidence is pointing towards a worn bottom end, and possibly rod knock as a problem. But wouldn't worn rings show up on the leakdown? This is where I need help.

A mechanic friend told me since the noise was at a specific RPM, it wouldn't be ancillaries. Is this true? It really sounds like the noise is from the front of the motor, not the bottom end.

Next thing I'm gonna weed out is the anciallaries anyway. I'm gonna get a new accessory belt, take the old one off and have a good jiggle on the AC,alternator, and tensioner pulleys and see what's up...any other suggestions?
Old 11-14-2011, 05:02 AM

Received 1,381 Likes on 828 Posts

I think youre getting thrown off track. Id borrow another comp gauge. Those number are greatly consistent with a healthy motor.

You need someone who knows THIS ENGINE to hear the noise and say what it is.

You can also rev the car to 3-4k while not moving, ebrake on, clutch in, car in FIRST GEAR. if the noise disappears, the noise is coming from the transmission.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:05 AM

Received 1,381 Likes on 828 Posts

one other thing...be sure you are checking your oil correctly.

I am learning FIFTY percent of the s2k owners dont check the oil correctly.

If your oil shows perfect on one side of the stick, and you flip the stick over and it shows nothing on the other side, THEN YOU HAVE NOTHING. The stick picks up a layer of oil from the windage tray and coats one side of the stick.

Basically, BOTH sides of the stick must be read, and show the same amount of oil.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:40 AM

Thanks for the replies Billman! I was hoping you'd comment, after doing a lot of research on s2ki about this it seems you're the engine Guru here.

I'm pretty anal about checking the oil, and will re-read it if it isn't the same on both sides. That would probably explain why it sometimes reads higher on the exhast side for me.

I tried the revving while in first gear and clutch in thing...still have the rattle noise. I'm gonna go to autozone and rent one of their compression testers to see if it reads differently than the one I have.

I'm gonna try and make a video as well so you guys can hear it.

thanks again
Old 11-14-2011, 02:42 PM

How exactly are you performing the compression check? Is the engine warm or cold? Throttle open or shut? How many times are you letting the engine turn over? All of these things can affect the reading.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:23 PM

Engine warm, throttle open, all plugs out, cranking until the needle stops jumping (about 5 cranks)