S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

NA vs. Boost

Old 05-25-2004, 12:07 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally posted by beroznikmal
judging from the market and the 3 of S sold, I am not sure any company wants to spend that much front money to develope a complete kit....
Correct. The market does not currently support the development of such a kit (and might never). A company would have to sell between 50 and 125 kits a year to justify the cost of development. Not many S2000 owners out there who are willing to shell out the cash required to properly turbo their car, let alone rely on just one company to do it for them. So you get a market comprimise ... a lot of kits that will 'work', but greatly reduce the reliability of the car. Quick thrill, smaller upfront $, bigger repair bill down the road.
A good friend of mine started Audi Performance and Racing (APR). It started out as Auburn Performance and Repair while he was attending Auburn. He got the cash to start it up from his Dad. As the company evolved from automotive hacks to certified performance development, several things came clear to Steve. Firstly, there are a lot of companies out there that offer big performance numbers, very few of them make a well engineered product. Secondly, you need a lot of start up capital and development cash (along with the knowhow) to get a legitimate company off the deck (Daddy helped him out there...). Thirdly, if you are going to produce a performance package for a car, it has to address all issues involving the design. Luckily for him, he started with a turbo car. When I last spoke with him, regarding turbocharging the S2000, he told me to stay away from partial kits and wait for a kit that addressed every engineering aspect ... either that or expect to shell out a lot of cash for constant repairs. One thing he noted is there are a couple of companies that produce engine blocks for turbo applications in the B18 series and they may look to produce an F20 block if the interest is high enough. Not cheap, but would address the open deck design of the F20 more reliably. One more element to look at ...
Old 05-25-2004, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This isn't a "damn rotary" where you need to replace motors 20 times a year. This piston engine has a lot of R&D done to it along with all forged internals. I don't know where you're coming with this info like we need a totally new motor build up and such. This motor doesn't have defective, under-developed, and inefficient pieces like lets say ....a apex seal. The factory internals on this engine has equal strength and rigidity as other aftermarket forged internals. The 11:1 compression just limits the amount of boost that can be safely run on pump gas to around 7psi without the aid of any octane booster or combustion chamber cooling.

To your friend who says we have to replace the motor and rebuild it like a B16 or any B series have him research a bit more on honda motors. The F20 is very similar with it's deck to the H22 motor. That motor has seen some extremely high 600+++whp ranges count-less times.

No one is really going to sit down and make a full engine build up, fuel management, turbo setup for this car. There's really not enough of a market for even a regular turbo kit. That is partially due to the fact that people like to constantly state that this motor can't hold any boost and etc etc etc. The only problem that this engine has is it's factory ECU and it's ability to constantly self-adjust. That's why I know I as well as many others constantly stress the proper tunning method so severely.

BTW, you say address "every engineering aspect" that would include engine, turbo, fuel, drivetrain, cooling, traction, weight distribution, etc correct? Basically a huge amount of $$ that 1 out of 20,000 s2k owner would even come close to spending or doing 50% of.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:21 PM

Originally posted by kane.s2k
This isn't a "damn rotary" where you need to replace motors 20 times a year. This piston engine has a lot of R&D done to it along with all forged internals. I don't know where you're coming with this info like we need a totally new motor build up and such. This motor doesn't have defective, under-developed, and inefficient pieces like lets say ....a apex seal. The factory internals on this engine has equal strength and rigidity as other aftermarket forged internals. The 11:1 compression just limits the amount of boost that can be safely run on pump gas to around 7psi without the aid of any octane booster or combustion chamber cooling.

To your friend who says we have to replace the motor and rebuild it like a B16 or any B series have him research a bit more on honda motors. The F20 is very similar with it's deck to the H22 motor. That motor has seen some extremely high 600+++whp ranges count-less times.

No one is really going to sit down and make a full engine build up, fuel management, turbo setup for this car. There's really not enough of a market for even a regular turbo kit. That is partially due to the fact that people like to constantly state that this motor can't hold any boost and etc etc etc. The only problem that this engine has is it's factory ECU and it's ability to constantly self-adjust. That's why I know I as well as many others constantly stress the proper tunning method so severely.

BTW, you say address "every engineering aspect" that would include engine, turbo, fuel, drivetrain, cooling, traction, weight distribution, etc correct? Basically a huge amount of $$ that 1 out of 20,000 s2k owner would even come close to spending or doing 50% of.
Sounds like someone suffers from a little 'rotary' envy! The only folks that have to replace apex seals or motors 20 times a year are those folks that over boost their motors or modify their engines without addressing 'every engineering aspect' of the modification.
Sound familiar ... yea, no matter what car you modify, you need to address all factors related to the modification ... and while I should spell it out for you, I don't have the patience to do so.
You spent a lot of time venting from even the thought of a rotary engine being mentioned on this site without seeing that I was using it as an 'example'. Get over it.
There will never be an S2000 that will make 600++ HP (at the crank or wheels) for more than a VERY short period of time. How many times a year will you have to replace the motor on a 600++ S2000? Too many to count, I'm sure.
For note: my RX-7 turbo 'died' after 130,000 miles of HARD driving. The engine slung the apex seal (the corner seal portion) due to detonation caused by a leaking turbo to exhaust manifold gasket/crack that resulted in a blow torch like over-heating of the intake manifold.
BTW - I drove the car with a blown apex seal for over 3 months. Can you drive a piston engine driven vehicle with a blown cylinder for 3-months ... ? Don't answer that ... I'm sure you'll 'recall' a story about a guy you know or something.

FYI: Petit Racing produces a car (TKT- modified 3rd gen) that produces 540 WHP, RELIABLY. All that out of a 2.0 L, single turbo 3 rotor motor. Hmmmm 2.0 L Turbo.
More than one TKT owner has driven their TKT for over 100,000+ miles, with little or no problems (original modified motors). Most of the owners, and there are not many (cost over $35,000 dollars for the mods alone) have not driven their cars that many miles, so more data needs to be accumulated.
However, when I talked to the folks at Petit, they stated the only broken TKTs were used ones; typically sold to some spoiled young punk who tried to modify it further, subsequently destroying something major on the car. The TKT is an example of a complete engineering solution. Motor, transmission, clutch, suspension, brakes ... and the list goes on and on. Notice the price tag again ... $35,000 for the MODS. That's how much it takes to make reliable big horsepower numbers.

I love my S2000 ... and its' pistons. I'm also looking at a TKT for the ultimate rush.
Old 05-27-2004, 08:15 PM

pretty cool 540rwhp out of a "2" liter reliably.

It's a personal preference thing for me. RX-7 folks are die hard guys and I've got a lot of respect for them.

A local guy over here made 510rwhp on pump gas out of a 2liter F20C and so far reliable. So never say never
Old 05-28-2004, 09:11 AM

I don't doubt someone can get 500 whp out of an S2000 (however, I don't believe it
Old 05-29-2004, 10:16 AM

I've heard things about the In-Line Pro turbo and it doesn't seem complete to me. And also they are using a VAFC 2 for engine management. I personally would go with an AEM EMS for engine management if I went with the In-Line Pro turbo. As for the Ultimate Racing turbo, it comes with a pre-tuned Greddy E-manage system, but I've heard that the pre set maps that it comes with can be worked on and imporoved.

I'm just still wondering how long the motors will last with these turbo kits on the car before I drop 5 large on them.. The safe way is to go with a SC.... less problems with a SC