S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

NA vs. Boost

Old 05-23-2004, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the thread I was talking about

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=207071
Old 05-23-2004, 08:19 AM

maximum N/A power is not the most daily drivable car by far and in many ways takes away from a lot of the joys of the car while you do gain others if you take your car to a road course constantly.

BTW, I think the toda head parts for this car doesn't add anything at all that can be considered useful or worth the money. Hey, at least you get a license plate frame that says "Toda Power" though.
Old 05-25-2004, 04:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by -S2K-2K-
I think the only way 300 rwhp from a N/A S2000 would be to order Inline Pro's 2.5 liter kit. (they estimate it at 260 hp) Then going with ITB's and all of your bolt ons. (Header, Exhaust, etc) And then pray for 300 hp. There is a thread somewhere around here where someone is in the process of doing the 2.5 liter kit from Inline pro. Find it and maybe watch his progress?
Old 05-25-2004, 06:23 AM

Originally posted by yellafeva
If going to high hp, a lot of "beefing up" will be necessary to the internal parts, as well as tranny and diff.
not entirely ture, you can go with Inline pros stage 2 turbo kit and make 440 WHP for only 5 grand and you'll have no problems jhon has been driving his daily since he put the kit on and no problems hes raced it as well i could potentially see his diff going eventually after more racing, or launches. so i dont se where any "beefing up" is necessary to the internal or diff and the only thing on his tranny is a clutch.

Originally posted by mikecl713
the car meant for high n/a power but boost can be done safely.... if u have money i'd just go with all toda parts and tuning...
the toda parts are a little over rated in my opinion. with a good I/H/E set up youll make about 240 WHP with their cams, not bad but a healthy bit of money for only 240whp, about 3500 bukcs. There pistons and stroker are not even streetable really. They're runnign 13:1 compresion which you would have to reduce timing considderabley to be able to run it on 93 octane, which is kind of stupid becuase all the timing your are taking away is power you are taking away. now if you are building a track only car it might be more advantagous being that youll be able to run race fuel.

advanracing62 - I would take a deep look into your wallet before you go NA, if you want 300-350whp i would go with inline pros stage 1 turbo kit youll make 320whp ive been in a car wiht this kit and his car was FAST plus you will smoke anyone with a supercharger unless the have considderablely more mods then header exhuast and supercharger. If you look at a dynograph with a supercharger and the inlinepro kit the usable power in the low to mid range area is much more teh supercharger lacks in the mid range. also the turbo kit is cheaper then the supercharger.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:41 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Low to moderate boost turbo kit will give you the best overall gains for the $ on the S2000 (over the entire RPM range). Cheapest bolt on is your run of the mill SC (good peak, no benefit down low). All engine cost big $ but you stay lighter. Probably will never see a streetable S2000 with much over 260 WHP - all engine.
To do the turbo right, you really should build the motor from the ground up. Pistons (lower comp), connecting rods and head work (with cams) are really a must. Fuel system (including stand alone), increased cooling (esp oil), all adds up the $ factor, but think of it as money in the bank and more time on the road and less time looking for parts to replace the one's you've destroyed - saving money up front. HP cost money - relaiable HP cost lots of money - period.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:04 AM

there are no Turbo cams for the S.........I know of only one person who had custom cams made but later said that it is not really worth the money.....
Old 05-25-2004, 10:21 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

With the popularity of turbocharging this engine increasing, there will be turbo cams developed for the S2000. The timing curve for a turbo motor is and should be different. One of the reasons I've not explored turbo charging yet is there's not a totally complete solution for turbocharging as of yet. There are a lot of companies offering pieces of the pie, but those pieces were not developed together, and may not work as well as a kit developed as a whole. There are some fairly complete kits, but not as complete at they should be.
I love turbocharging and owned a Turbo RX-7 a few years ago. Owning that car taught me the lesson involving bolting on parts vs building a purpose built and complete set-up. The former will actually cost you more time and $ in the long run.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:46 AM

judging from the market and the 3 of S sold, I am not sure any company wants to spend that much front money to develope a complete kit....
Old 05-25-2004, 10:52 AM

why isnt a set up like inlines or ultimate racing not a complete set up? i dont think I understand what you mean by a "complete set up"
Old 05-25-2004, 11:10 AM

I think he wants everything turbo kit + internals+ exhaust+engine management

Quick Reply: NA vs. Boost