S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

NA Engine management options?

Old 12-20-2004, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NA Engine management options?

I've been searching through the engine management topics and haven't really found much as far as NA management, just FI... I'm debating on purchasing an EMS, but it seems like it may be "overkill." I have a VAFCII, but want a little more, so it's either an EMS, E-Manage, or mate my VAFC with a Spoon or Mugen ECU and have it "fine tuned." Is there any common opinion on this topic? Anyone have any experience with tuning an NA car with one of these aside from the VAFCII?
Old 12-20-2004, 04:56 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

There isn't a lot to be achieved through NA tuning so spending a lot of money seems a bit pointless. If you go with one of the locked aftermarket ECUs (Spoon, Mugen, Amuse etc) then add a V-AFC or E-manage you have probably spent as much as an AEM EMS and have a lot less capability.

I'd say go low end like V-AFC or E-manage, or go the whole hog and get an AEM EMS.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:09 PM

Well, if I went with a locked ECU with the VAFC I have a different timing map and still have the adj. over leaning out the fuel curve if needed... With the EMS, I can adj. the timing, but the only true factor that worries me is tuning. I don't want anything outrageous because I know there isn't a whole lot of decernable HP to be gained with keeping the car NA, I'd just like more aggressive maps that would improve the midrange or lowend power... As far as cost effectiveness, I already spent the money on the VAFCII a while back, and can get the ECUs for a pretty sweet deal... Same with the EMS, but the amount of tuning required for things to be just right will quickly surmount... Am I just trying to justify spending money or does this make sense?
Old 12-20-2004, 05:23 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like you've made up your mind and are looking for support. Sorry, I'm not the guy for it.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:59 PM

Sorry if I came of as having anything finite... I was just saying what was going through my mind... I don't need anyone to hold my hand.. I'm just seeing if what I'm thinking makes any sense. Not nessicarily financial sense, but just in general... I appreciate your responses
Old 12-20-2004, 06:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

VeilsideAP1. Seeing how you were able to afford a Spoon blueprinted motor, you should just get an AEM ems and call it a day. With full exhaust and intake the EMS can make some nice gains. see dyno here from another member:

http://www.p1auto.com/jack/s2k/s2kexhaust.htm
Old 12-20-2004, 07:20 PM

WOuld headers make much of a diffrence?
Old 12-20-2004, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by bluesaint,Dec 20 2004, 11:14 PM
VeilsideAP1. Seeing how you were able to afford a Spoon blueprinted motor, you should just get an AEM ems and call it a day. With full exhaust and intake the EMS can make some nice gains. see dyno here from another member:

http://www.p1auto.com/jack/s2k/s2kexhaust.htm

stop the BS and get the aem ems....plus later down the road if u decide to build the motor going NA or FI u already have a good ems system just tune a bit more
Old 12-21-2004, 01:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem with an AEM EMS is not money, but getting an experienced tuner that knows what the hell they are doing. If you get some idiot monkeying around with your engine, you will regret it.
VeilSide, I am in the same boat as yourself and here's my 2 cents. If you go balls out NA i.e. cams, pistons, bigger injectors, or ITBs then EMS is the way to go. Other than that, stick with the VAFC OR get aftermarket ECU. I wouldn't mess up the aftermarket ECU with VAFC.... just my opinion.
On a side note, aftermarket ECUs can be found, and you can save a substatial amount of money, if you're willing to wait and buy used.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:00 PM

Thanks for the opinions guys. Being that I spent the money on the motor, I don't think I'll be cracking it open... kinda negates the balanced and blueprinted aspect I seemed to have payed so much for... not to mention my poor experience with the first run of the Toda Version 2 spec a cams...

Tenblade, your pretty much right on the money with my thoughts as of recently.. After doing more research, I'm afraid I'll have to wait until I have money to fly someone out to tune it... Not that I don't trust all the locals, but it's a crapshoot I don't want to run. Maybe I'll wait until I can afford the TWM ITBs...

Quick Reply: NA Engine management options?