S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

N/A car with AEM/VAFC

Old 06-19-2003, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why waste money on the AEM EMS if you are bone stock.
Just get the AEM intake and VAFC.
I gained 15rwkw on the dyno with the mods. This is about 20hp. Ohhhhh don't waste ur money on the bypass valve as well. You loose about 2-3kw on the dyno.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:48 AM

for the original question.

There is only going to be a marginal difference when you are stock with the aem vs vafc.

Like other people slightly started talking about in this thread; there is still more room to make more power even if you are stock. adjusting your car to the type of weather you live in and to the fuel you are using.
with vafc you have very limited choices of what you can use to tune your car, with the aem you will be tweak alot more things.

What made you want to get either one of them?
You can get better gains if you were to go with a proven intake and good header mated with a single exhaust.

but if you ever go boost or more serious mods (cams or higher comp pistons) you will definetly want the aem vs getting the vafc.

I hope that helps
Old 06-19-2003, 08:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually bob, I have a i/h/e, VAFC and cams setup. I was just trying to use the stock car as a frame of reference. even with my setup, unless I decide to go with a dramatic internal engine mod, I think the reference is still pretty much valid....
The reason I ask this question is to evaluate whether I should do the EMS and higher comp pistons as two seperate projects or one. If the AEM alone will not deliver noticable gains I may decide to do them at the same time.....
Once again any opinions will be appreciated
Beroz
Old 06-19-2003, 09:57 AM

do you have dataloggin from another system?

can you post your dyno with a graph of your a/f ratio through the whole power band?

just the fact that you can adjust your timing table, that alone will give you more power with allowing you to adjust it with the aem system
Old 06-19-2003, 10:04 AM

bod,
I don't have a log system and I can not do timing tuning this is why I want the AEM.

As for the Dyno chart....I will try to get it on the web soon... I recently ran into some complications. Check out the VErsion2 toda cams link. My car is being dyno tuned today
Old 06-19-2003, 11:18 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

There are several weaknesses in the V-AFC that the AEM doesn't have. The V-AFC can't be used to add fuel, it can only remove it. To add fuel, you have to increase fuel pressure, then use the V-AFC to remove some. If you use the V-AFC to change your VTEC engagement point, the ECU will still use its default fuel and timing maps for the normal VTEC engagement point. This could potentially be dangerous if you reduce your VTEC engagement point.

The ECU will only tune out the V-AFC settings if it is making fuel corrections while the ECU is in closed loop. During closed loop (lower RPMs, partial throttle), the ECU will continuously adjust fuel and timing based on sensor feedback. Once the ECU goes into open loop mode (upper RPMs, WOT), the V-AFC can make all the fuel corrections it wants without the ECU even seeing it.
Old 06-19-2003, 11:32 AM

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

thank you gernby, this is exactly the explanation I was looking for.
Old 06-19-2003, 11:46 AM

And this is why you should only adjust the VAFC to 'kick in' at a higher % of throttle position. right?
Old 06-19-2003, 12:08 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally posted by beroznikmal
And this is why you should only adjust the VAFC to 'kick in' at a higher % of throttle position. right?
RIGHT!
Old 06-19-2003, 12:11 PM

wicky, off the topic, how do you manage to post an average of 33 ppd...that is just crazy

Quick Reply: N/A car with AEM/VAFC