S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Mystery clunk

Old 01-08-2012, 04:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mystery clunk

Hey all. First time post here as an owner, wish it was more light-hearted. I have an AP2 that has this clunk/pop which is really mystifying me. I have searched but haven't found anything similar... Details:

- The clunk comes from the front end, possibly engine bay. Has a metallic/mechanical sound.
- It happens when accelerating past 12 mph.
- It happens in both 1st and 2nd gear (haven't tried 3rd).
- It happens after initially starting the car, and doesn't happen again unless I shut it off and restart it.
- It happens whether the car is cold or warmed-up.

If anyone has a spec of insight, it would be really appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-08-2012, 04:24 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Engine mount possibly.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:28 PM

Do those tend to be defective or short-life items? Car is MY07 and just turned over 20K, I bought it a year ago with less than 10K on it.

It really kills me that it's always at the exact speed... I've even coasted in 1st for a long time to see if distance played in a factor (which it didn't seem to).

Thanks for the quick reply, btw.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:16 PM

Anyone else have any other thoughts?
Old 01-09-2012, 05:06 PM

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

Is it happening in both 1st and 2nd gear at 12mph or is it happening at around the same RPM in both gears? If so, you might be looking at some problem with your clutch. It could be coming from inside your tranny. Too hard to tell.

Still, an engine mount is a real possiblility. All it takes is a big pothole or a fast speed bump. Do you see any oil stains where you park your car?
Old 01-10-2012, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by slalom44
Is it happening in both 1st and 2nd gear at 12mph or is it happening at around the same RPM in both gears? If so, you might be looking at some problem with your clutch. It could be coming from inside your tranny. Too hard to tell.

Still, an engine mount is a real possiblility. All it takes is a big pothole or a fast speed bump. Do you see any oil stains where you park your car?
12mph regardless of gear, so no not RPM dependent.

I've never noticed any oil from this car, no; I will double check though. A busted motor mount will be physically noticeable right? I could poke around under the car.

Wouldnt a motor mount issue probably repeat itself over the normal course of driving? I mean, this is like a one time only thing once the car is started. Then I turn it off, right back on, and it does it once (and only once) more while left on. So frustrating!!!
Old 01-11-2012, 10:19 AM

Does this happen while changing gears at t hat low of a speed or just when you are at the 12mph speed?
Old 01-11-2012, 12:31 PM

Can be long after having changed gears. Happens when in gear, when accelerating past approximately 12.4? mph.

It's almost like something mecahnical from the shutdown or startup routine gets stuck maybe. Then when it hits that speed, something pops loose and then is good... until the shutdown routine happens again. I know that isnt making much automotive sense, just trying to think of it from a process standpoint.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:14 PM

So I finally got to look into this... crawled under the car and the engine mounts were pristine.

Ended up taking it to the dealer since I still have a few months of warranty left. They deemed it was probably part of a solenoid's self test process and that it was fine.

I still dont like it...
Old 05-05-2012, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigstrusk
Hey all. First time post here as an owner, wish it was more light-hearted. I have an AP2 that has this clunk/pop which is really mystifying me. I have searched but haven't found anything similar... Details:

- The clunk comes from the front end, possibly engine bay. Has a metallic/mechanical sound.
- It happens when accelerating past 12 mph.
- It happens in both 1st and 2nd gear (haven't tried 3rd).
- It happens after initially starting the car, and doesn't happen again unless I shut it off and restart it.
- It happens whether the car is cold or warmed-up.

If anyone has a spec of insight, it would be really appreciated. Thanks!
Hey, it would seem I've got the same exact problem.
Unfortunately, I'm not sure exactly what the solution to the problem is.

For the sake of documentation, the symptoms of my issue:
-happens after the car has sat for a while
-happens exactly at the change between 12-13 mph
-I could be in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gear and it will still happen at that same mph
-sounds like a servo clunk, almost like the "automatic locking systems" from other vehicles i've owned. However, this clunk is more exaggerated & loud.

So at first i thought "hey maybe there's a bolt/connector loose"
i checked all the bolts around the trans & surrounding areas. All good/snug. All the electrical connections are tight and in good shape.
Now, from there i was confused. Checked the starter too. Looked/felt good.

Thoughts/ideas/comments ??

On a side-note, it is great to finally find a post somewhere referencing this same issue. I'm not alone!! wooT!