S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Mysterious CEL Blinking

Old 01-06-2009, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HEY. I was wondering if a Misfire could clear. Since it can, OP..check your Plugs. Most deff. gonna be fouled up. Check that all your coilpacks are good and all your wires are plugged in.

When I was rocking the 97SS, I had a instance when I changed my spark plugs, I didnt snap on one plug wire. It fell off while I was driving. I didnt notice it ANYWHERE until I got on the gas pedal uphill. Then it started shuddering and started giving me the misfire code. The car felt totally fine driving normally. Now, I know the s2k has a 4 banger and its a big harder to 'not notice' a small misfire...but I swear, the SS showed no signs of such a big problem..it was nice and the idle didnt even bounce.

hopefully its something as simple as a bad coilpack/wire/spark plug. just my2cents.....
Old 01-06-2009, 01:56 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

^
but i think the difference between your misfire in the 97SS and mine is that yours did not go away, whereas my CEL is completely gone.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:00 PM

^true. Have you gone uphill since then? (low rpm, high throttle)?
Old 01-06-2009, 02:08 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jyeung528' date='Jan 5 2009, 02:46 PM
there were uphills coming back from vegas and it never came back on my drive home.

I can't imagine that it is oil-related as there is an oil light for oil pressure/oil pump issues.

My guess is a misfiring, but I'd like to know why...
Humor me, but check your oil level anyway. The oil light on an 03 only comes on if something is very, very bad. It won't let you know if you're low on oil.

I don't think that's the problem given your car's symptoms, but check your oil anyway...
Old 01-06-2009, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by ikeyballz' date='Jan 6 2009, 03:00 PM
^true. Have you gone uphill since then? (low rpm, high throttle)?
yes, driving back from vegas, i went back up the hills...no cel at all.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by CKit' date='Jan 6 2009, 03:08 PM
Humor me, but check your oil level anyway. The oil light on an 03 only comes on if something is very, very bad. It won't let you know if you're low on oil.

I don't think that's the problem given your car's symptoms, but check your oil anyway...
sure.

i checked my oil before the trip and it was at 4/5 X's.

i checked my oil at the autozone after arriving in Vegas (after getting the blinking cel's that came and went away), and it was at 2/5 X's. I topped off to 5/5 X's.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:09 PM

Go to a shop that can throw hard and temp codes. Most cheap scanner's won't be able to read temp codes as stated before. Even if your CEL is not on there is a code. It takes a certain driving sequence or problems to throw a hard code. The temp code is set though. From what I'm hearing I also believe it's a misfire. A good scanner can actually tell you what speed/temp/fuel and ect. when the code threw.

Only time I've seen low oil throw a CEL is P1259 VTEC malfunction. Low oil not letting vtec engage.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:40 PM

some ppl say that the cel is caused by bad injectors, others say the root of the problem lies in the fact that we dont really have a fuel filter and the junk that accumulates in the tank causes the misfiring.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:08 PM

thanks for the suggestions.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, I have a Walbro pump on mine. They are known to mess with the fuel level gauge. They get stuck (sometimes) showing 4 bars on the fuel gauge. (1/4). Well, I was running low on fuel and didn't know it (showing 1/4 tank). I had the engine start shuddering, and CEL blinked. Pulled over, all's fine, CEL ON steady. I didn't have a scanner, pulled out, tried to accelerate, it was terrible. Eventually stalled out. Had to walk for gas.

When fuel level gets real low, pump can't pick up and provide enough pressure in the injectors. So the spray pattern in the injectors is not normal, fuel doesn't get atomized enough. So that cylinder's fuel mix will be bad, and cause a misfire. The knock sensor picks it up, and flashes the CEL at you to let you know that the conditions inside the cylinder could be detrimental to its health.

Quick Reply: Mysterious CEL Blinking