S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

MY06 S2k - just bought it, and now CEL nightmare

Old 08-23-2009, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY06 S2k - just bought it, and now CEL nightmare

Well, went up to San Rafael Mitsubishi yesterday because they were the only place locally with a GPW AP2 s2k - and i've been hunting for one for quite a while.

We go and check out the car, and it drives really smoothly, sounds good, and looks ok. It was obvious that it wasn't the *best* kept 06 S2k, but it was a rare GPW after all, and the few issues were little things like paint chips on the lip, etc. I started the car on and off several times, and it was fine. It has 64k on the odometer, fwiw.

Of course, once I take delivery and drive it home, the CEL comes on, along with the VSA /!\ light. I furiously search s2ki, and do the paperclip trick and count 7 long CEL flashes, and 3 short CEL flahes (the code is for a cyl 3 misfire). The steering wheel with the exclamation mark also blinks 2 long and 2 short, for what it's worth.

I swapped out all the spark plugs, and reset the ECU. About 15 min. of driving later, same cylinder 3 misfire code pops up. So, I swap the coil packs around and clear the ECU. Same - cyl. 3 misfire pops back up almost immediately. I then pulled off the fuel rail, and swapped the cyl 2 and cyl 3 fuel injectors. Cleared ECU, and about 15 min. later, another "cyl 3 misfire" popped up.

Now I'm worried that it's either a compression issue, or a valve adjustment issue. The car idles a bit rough, stumbles like it's going to stall if I rev it a bit right after I start the engine.. otherwise, the car accelerates smoothly, vtecs like it's supposed to and revs all the way to 8k rpms (even when the CEL is on), and seems to have normal levels of power.

Does this pretty much mean I'm left with a best case valve adjustment, worst case engine rebuild scenario? I *just* bought the car yesterday so this is a bit of an unexpected nightmare for me. I did call the dealer today, and they said they saw the CEL when they got the car in and thought they fixed it - and offered for me to bring the car back in and they'll fix it.

I have an uncanny feeling that they're going to "fix" it, I'm going to drive home, and the CEL is going to come right back on. Ugh...

advice would be much appreciated.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BRING THE CAR BACK!!!!! ALL I HAVE TO SAY
Old 08-23-2009, 02:25 PM

I'd *really* like to hold onto the car (an 06 GPW S2k is the s2k i've been hunting for for months)

But if I do have to take the car back, or it's bad enough to where I don't want to keep the car, what kind of protections/legal ground do I have? I did already purchase the car from the dealer "as-is", though the financing hasn't been officially signed off yet..

I am in california, btw. Do they have any laws that say dealers have to fix all emissions related CELs, etc before they can sell the car?
Old 08-23-2009, 02:28 PM

Oh yeah, interesting side story - when I opened the secret compartment, I found about 15 tabs of vicodin marked "2140 v", haha.

edit: oh nm, did a pill ID and it looks to be soma - muscle relaxant. haha.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:32 PM

Warning: Vicodin can cause headaches,last thing u need,another headache Muscle relaxers,now that's a differnent story,take one before going to bed,good stuff
Old 08-23-2009, 03:20 PM

I'm experiencing kinda the same issue as you and mine is a MY06 as well. Except for me its only cyl 1 misfire. Swapped coil packs and stuff and today I just bought brand new NGK Platinum plugs. But just do what I'm going to do later today and rent a compression test tool and follow the nice DIY posted on the sticky up on this forum and see if you get good results.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:02 AM

Ugh - just got off the phone with the dealer.

They say they had this code when they first got the car in, and they thought they fixed it. At first they told me to bring it in because they'd rather take care of it themselves, vs. getting charged full retail if I drop it off at a honda dealer (which is what I'd prefer). But when I pressed them and asked them what they think the cause was, they said it was the coil. I told them I've moved the coils around and cleared the code, and the code still pops up on the same cylinder (#3). The guy said to just bring it in and they'll take care of it.

I sense a fight coming on Anyone else ever been in a similar situation?
Old 08-24-2009, 09:05 AM

No but I also swapped coils on mine as well but for me it was cyl 1 and CEL came back on a few weeks later and it was cyl 1 again. Did a compression test a few mins ago and compression is low and inconsistent w/ the others. I'm guessing it might be my valves but I'm not too sure. GL w/ your problem though man.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:12 AM

Horse shit tell that him to do a compression and leak down test its likely that cylinder 3 has very little and a valve adjusment is needed and id much rather do my own valve adjustment or have a honda tech then some mitshubishi doucher that still thinks its the same problem after all those steps were taken to fix it bc its obviously not the coil nor plugs.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:20 AM

Law Cali: Document the hell out of it

http://www.ag.ca.gov/consumers/general/lemon.php

Quick Reply: MY06 S2k - just bought it, and now CEL nightmare