S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

MY04 Clutch Delay Valve

Old 01-09-2004, 02:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I posted this in Car Talk, buit after doing some research, there appear to be Issues about such a device.

Here we go.

MY04 Clutch Delay mechanism
Haven't seen this before here, but if it is redundant, sorry:

The 2004 has a unique clutch delay orifice mechanism. It "improves clutch operation" by delaying the slave cylinder release speed when the clutch is suddenly released. This mechanism is built into the slave cylinder.

When the clutch pedal is pressed, the fluid prrssure from the master cylinder moves a 1-way valve. The clutch fluid passes through 2 passages: the orifice part and the filter part. It then flows out to the slave cylinder to release the pressure plate and the clutch disc.

When the pedal is released, the fluid pressure from the slave cylinder moves the 1-way valve blocks the filter-part passage and delays the clutch release speed by returning the fluid to the master cylinder through only the orifice-part passage.

So in short: When the pedal is pressed, it goes through two passages - when released, through one.

As I recall, BMW's have this as well. I am not sure whether it is done for smoothness, or to protect the drivetrain against brutal clutch dumps.

It certainly begs the question: can you do a clutch dump on the MY04? The mechanism looks completely different than the 00-03, but probably could be bypassed, or the 00-03 fitted. Not sure though.

Then I found these:

http://orca.st.usm.edu/~jmneal/tiburon/clu...lutch_valve.htm
http://www.mini2.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-37774
http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_techtip/...check_valve.htm
http://www.zeckhausen.com/CDV.htm

So now the discussion and discovery should begin - is this something many of us might want to bypass?

If so, how?

Rick Hesel - your new product concept is here! "MY04 CDV Bypass".
A 10% finder's fee would be nice.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It is probably meant to reduce differential failures. I wonder if that is the reason why the '04 doesn't really have better 1/4 mile times than the '00-'03.
Old 01-10-2004, 05:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can cause the rear tires to spin with a clutch dump, I don't see a problem. Slowing the engagement will help prevent some shock being transmitted but someone else is gonna hafta figure out how much. If you can get the tires spinning with the engine in VTEC, it would seem to be a non-issue...
Old 01-10-2004, 06:02 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jguerdat
If you can cause the rear tires to spin with a clutch dump, I don't see a problem.
Old 01-10-2004, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd think that there should be some connection to this valve and the clutch dampers. In theory if the valve limits maximum possible impact between clutch disk and flywheel, then the clutch disk could be designed differently with different springs/dampers that would be better at absorbing vibration or make less noise. Emphasis on in theory
Old 01-10-2004, 07:26 AM

Maybe a Honda tech could compare MY04 clutch part numbers to previous ones?
Old 01-10-2004, 08:58 AM

Has anyone with and '04 driven their car after a really cold cold soak (like 0
Old 01-10-2004, 02:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ugh. This sounds really nasty, but I guess it depends on how long the delay is. If it's short enough I can see how it might not be noticed in normal street driving, and could lessen drive line impact and possibly reduce breakage.

But on the track?

I can see it now - I'm wailing a few laps at RA, and every upshift the clutch engagement is delayed, just a little slower than my right foot engages the throttle. Seems to me after about 10 laps of that the clutch would be toast.
Old 01-10-2004, 02:48 PM

I've been staring at the pictures of the setup, and it appears to me that there is no simple way to bypass it (it is not in-line like the BMW). So I think one would need the a pre-04 slave cylinder and banjo hose - the connecting fitting angles on the 2004 cylinder are different.

Anyone have an idea of cost for those parts?
Old 01-10-2004, 05:32 PM

It looks like it would cost you about $90 to convert to an 00-03 clutch slave setup.
2003: http://www.slhondaparts.com/browse.asp?Mod...&ViewParts=true
2004: http://www.slhondaparts.com/browse.asp?Mod...&ViewParts=true
You'll need the slave cylinder, banjo hose, seal washers, brake line bracket, clip & master-to-bracket hard line. If you live in California, I guess you have to call it the subordinate cylinder.

Can you just get at the check valve and drill a big hole in the middle of it? That would effectively disable it. There has to be a way to get the check valve out, unless it is somehow staked or swaged inside the slave cylinder.

Steve

Quick Reply: MY04 Clutch Delay Valve