S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

MY04 1st to 2nd Gear Grind

Old 11-27-2003, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey,

I'm aware of the grind on earlier model years, but I'm pretty sure that I have it on my 04. When I first start driving (ie when the car is cold), I go to shift slowly from first to second, and right before I get it all the way in 2nd, the shifter has some resistence and I hear a noise which sounds like a grind to me.

Reason why I'm not sure is because I've never actually driven a car with a grind before, and really don't know if that's what I'm looking for.

My question is, can someone else descibe it to me so that I know wether or not I'm right, and also has anyone with an 04 had this problem?

I'm aware of the TSB on the 03 and older, but has anyone had a problems from dealers with getting it serviced?

To answer some questions I'm sure you're going to ask, Yes I fully press the clutch pedal when I shift. No, I don't shift really slow, just a normal shift. No it doesn't seem to do it after the car is warmed up.

Guess I'm just worried I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks guys.
Old 11-27-2003, 06:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What ever you do, don't try and force the gear shift lever when the transmission is cold. Have you tried shifting it a bit slower when it's cold? I shift mine a lot slower when it's still cold and it's fine. I have a MY2001.

The other problem that you mentioned on the earlier models happened all of the time, not just when it was cold.
Old 11-27-2003, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by boiler
What ever you do, don't try and force the gear shift lever when the transmission is cold. Have you tried shifting it a bit slower when it's cold? I shift mine a lot slower when it's still cold and it's fine. I have a MY2001.

The other problem that you mentioned on the earlier models happened all of the time, not just when it was cold.
I don't think I'm being forcefull with it. I'll try to relax my shifting more, but it doesn't seem to me that's the problem. Maybe I just don't know my own strength

Yeah, this definitly isn't an all-the-time occurance, that's why I was cuirous. Thanks.
Old 11-27-2003, 06:22 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by Chadwick
My question is, can someone else descibe it to me
Imagine if you took a hand saw (a.k.a. "woofer") and quickly drag it, tooth side down, across a piece of iron rebar.

I'm not certain if you are new to manual or if you've ever driven a close gated, short throw gear box before but shifting one is not a single continuous motion. It's not an ON/OFF switch. It can be a two stage effort. First one is to get out of the previous gear to the point of "introducing" yourself at the door of the next gear. The second stage is where you "go in". That point of resistance is when you are at the "door" of the next gear. Although you may need to start off slower, this does not mean that gear shifting needs to be a slow affair. With proficiency, the shift can be accomplished in a split second while STILL experiencing both stages.

The only time you might not feel this two stage deal is with a vehicle that has very wide gates, long shifter stick (long throws) and big spaces between cogs in the tranny. A good example of this would be a '70s Datsun Pick Up truck.

ps. You must also understand where the gates are. Use the side rail (left and right) and the shift stick spring to line up with the gates. If you are a bit off, you will experience more notchiness.
Old 11-27-2003, 06:49 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
Old 11-27-2003, 06:58 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chadwick It still really bugs me, because I'm wondering if I possibly messed up the clutch when I first got the car.
Old 11-27-2003, 07:02 PM

Whew, I'm just a worry wort then. It definitly has been an interesting week for me with this car. I love it even more each time I go out and drive it though.

Thanks Viper, that really helped.
Old 11-27-2003, 07:08 PM

Oh and congrats on your new toy!
And a word of caution to a new S2000 driver:
Learn you gear positions well. It would be a shame and put you in a world of hurt if you were to accidentally did a downshift into too low a gear and mechanically over-revved the motor. Sit in the car in your garage and just row through the gears with the car off, clutch in. Like I mentioned earlier, learn to use the spring in the stick as your guide to the 3-4 gate. There has been an alarming number of driver who accidentally shift from 3rd into 2nd when they were trying for 4th. The 5-4 shift has been know to be a big boo-boo when 2nd is found by mistake.
Old 11-27-2003, 07:24 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
Oh and congrats on your new toy!
And a word of caution to a new S2000 driver:
Learn you gear positions well.
Old 11-27-2003, 07:32 PM

Hey Chadwick, you've gotten good advice. I've been driving manual transmissions a long, long time and they are all a bit stiff starting out when the weather turns cold. The S is actually one of the better ones for not being affected from my experience. You might try just a slight pause between first and second when it's cold.

I don't have the grind, I've only had my '03 for about four months now. But when I hear the word grind, I imagine a sound that would make the hair on your neck stand up.

I think like xviper stated, time and relaxing will make all things better. I haven't missed a downshift but for the first couple days I went from second to fifth a few times. Then I learned to give the shifter a lighter hand. (It's a far cry from a Jeep Wrangler.) Also stalled it in the driveway the first day, no witnesses though so it never happened.

Quick Reply: MY04 1st to 2nd Gear Grind