S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

MY04-05-06 clutch delay slave cylinder removal

Old 04-23-2005, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate03,Apr 23 2005, 05:04 PM
yes its a great mod...

so what was wrong with your car?

I'll try to explain what was wrong with the car. We did everything that was written on do-it-yourself to the T. The only thing we did wrong that night was we had some trouble aligning the slave back into the boot where the pressure rod thing is suppose to sit. (I guess we misaligned it a little) We then proceeded to bleed the clutch for a bit...I didn't feel any pressure build up except when i pumped the clutch rapidly... Anyway, we didn't really know what was going on so be tried to bleed. We stepped on the clutch afterwards and heard this metallic clang sound like some metal parts banged together. Once again, the pressure at the pedal was lost. We didn't try starting the car at this point.

We looked around the car trying to figure out what was wrong but didn't really know. Then we peered down below the car and noticed fluid dripping. Touched it and it was the clutch fluid. Jacked the car up again and crawled under. Checked everything and felt around the boot where the slave sat at. There appeared to be a hole on the boot...we think the slave rod punctured it...and it did. The rod apparently didn't seat right and when the clutch was pressed, it hit against the "cup" and slipped off, through the rubber boot.

K, everything was redone again and made sure the rod sat correctly in its place. Bleed the clutch again and put everything back together. Clutch felt good...stepped on it...nothing happens. The engine tries to turn on but it doesn't... please read previous posts for a more dramatic "oh crap, need help, engine doesn't start" read. So...we don't know what the problem is and don't want to mess around too much with it cuz we have no clue waht can be done to solve it.

Car gets towed to Honda...flatbeded. Told our guy at Honda what went on and they started testing. Weird how the actual mechanic didn't test anything relating to the clutch, instead tried his best to find out why it doesn't start - even though they know that the clutch was the only thing that's been tampered with. K day one goes by and our guy calls back saying we need a new starter, cuz that's what doesn't work. Alrighty...

Second day, installs the starter

Third day, after Starter install, it still doesn't work...further investigation ensues...

Forth day, finally checks the clutch area and thinks that we did caused the problem - taking out that portion in the slave cylinder had something to do with it. Still can't determine what is wrong...calls me and tells me...I think your clutch area is messed up, there are metal pieces stuck in your clutch area. We need to take our your transmission and start from there. [this is the end of the day so they leave the car there]. dyhppy goes down to check out what the hell is going on, fearing that we actually did mess something up and that we need to spend thousands of dollars doing transmission work. Anyway dyhppy gets there and our guy show him what the mechanic found. Another mechanic was there also and they sat around and looked at the thing for a while. Peering into the uncovered boot area, they see a metal rod stuck in the clutch area. [puzzled, they don't know what to think of it] Then dyhppy jogged through his memory data base and asks to refresh him on the clutch diagram from Honda. [light bulb turns on]...That rod sitting in the clutch areas is actually the "Key" rod that opens and closes the clutch. It must have been bumped loose when we heard the "metallic bang on Sunday night". Then the other mechanic procceeds to help dyhppy to align the key rod back to its place via the use of some weird honda tools.

After they popped it back into the correct position, lowered the car and the mech. asked "dare me to push the red button?" dyhppy replied sure... So the mech. pushed in the clutch and pressed...and nothing happens. Mech thinks for a bit...goes under the dash and re-routes the starter, bypassing the use of clutch for ignition...cuz there wasn't enough pressure apparently. Pushed the button again...and the car starts...engine runs smoothly...shifts through all the gears and nothing outta the norm seems to the happening...GREAT!

All was happy and I was happy to hear that nothing major had to be done. The car was left there till Friday to have the clutch bled professionally. Friday comes...eveything's cool...everyone's happy...except for maybe the first mechanic...who would have gotten a lot of commision for fixing a non-broken transmission. Anyway...got the car back at night time. Ran it through a local canyon to test out the new clutch feel. The clutch is great! Way better than the OEM MY04, MY05. It bring back that S2000 feel, I think this is the must mod of 2005...if you haven't already done so, by all means DO IT!!! The shifts are more precise and it's actually smoother than before. The engagement is lower to the floor but it's no biggie. The clutch is a little stiffer...not by much. Everthing is golden...almost makes the lack of that 1k extra tach seem inconsequential. Like everyone else before us who did the mod....this is a MUST DO and it's CHEAP!

So, I guess it's both stupid and good that we ran into our problem because we learn and understand more about what goes on under there. Make sure everything is in its proper place before testing out anything. Especially if you're dealing with parts of the transmission. We just happen to get pretty lucky that we didn't cause any major mishap. Anyway, everything is good

Sorry for the long post but I had to write a follow up to all the confusion. :-D I think performance wise, MY04 + should be faster than the Pre 04s now...cuz there's virtually no more lag...imo. Go try it out and post up what you think. Laters
Old 04-24-2005, 07:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ I'm glad everything got resolved and you enjoy the mod! thanks for the update!
Old 05-04-2005, 10:35 AM
ff_

Originally Posted by PilotKD,Apr 23 2005, 12:07 PM
I HIGHLY doubt that. Most service departments probably don't even know about the valve much less assume an owner would have taken it out.
What are you smoking?

You think that dealerships don't know about the valve, why it's there, and how to use it in their favor (when the user removes it) in cases where drivetrain damage or wear has occured? Pleeeeeze....
Old 05-04-2005, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by ff_,May 4 2005, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by PilotKD @ Apr 23 2005, 12:07 PM
I HIGHLY doubt that. Most service departments probably don't even know about the valve much less assume an owner would have taken it out.
What are you smoking?

You think that dealerships don't know about the valve, why it's there, and how to use it in their favor (when the user removes it) in cases where drivetrain damage or wear has occured? Pleeeeeze....
In the majority of cases, with PilotKD.

I think you're giving most service departments and mechanics (no offense to anyone on this) way too much credit. Manufacturers don't generally give "down to a hairs width" details on what's changed from one year model to the next Sure, the dealer knows about the engine being stroked to 2.2L, the suspension mods, the cosmetic changes, the change in tranny gear ratios, the different tire sizes, and "oh, by the way, we put a delay valve in the clutch slave cylinder!"

I could be wrong about that but I don't think so. Having said that, and I'm sure there are exceptions, like how many of the people that loiter around "this" forum, work for Honda dealers?

FWIW!
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:43 AM
Banned

Dang it...you guys just made me miss something else on the SRT4 I traded in on the S.

The Mopar stage 1 ecu actually has a feature where you keep the gas floored and still do your speed shifts with the clutch. They just labeled it as WOT shifting feature or boost hold. It keeps the boost peaked while shifting instead of it dropping down during shifts, etc. Was actually a blast to do, once mastered...feels wierd not letting off the gas, but was good for a 2 tenth drop in 1/4 times

One thing that is puzzling to me is why would honda build a strong motor, with some forged parts, etc and give the car a weak clutch and driveline/rear end? I have an 02 and Ive noticed that if I shift too fast, from 1st to 2nd most often, that the clutch will slip and continue to slip until I back off the gas a little and then resume flooring it. If I shift a hair slower, it wont do it. I am the second owner and I have no idea how the previous owner (female) drove or shifted the car...maybe she rode the fock out of the clutch and prematurely wore it out?

Rag on the 'neon' all you want...its clutch and tranny were awesome.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:36 PM

Not that this thread needs it (no negative posts I mean), but this really needs to be done. I did it last weekend, and can't believe I waited more than a month to do so.

If you can't find dental picks (early in the thread someone asked where to get one and no one answered) and Napa is closed (JawKnee posted a link to some great hooks, but Napa's in my area are closed on Sunday) use a bicycle spoke. After messing around with minute screw drivers and an ice pick my roommate suggested grinding a spoke down with the grinding wheel. That took almost 2 minutes, and the snap ring came out first attempt.

Night and day difference now. Thanks for the great writeup.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is great info, I always wonder WTF was wrong with my car and why the clutch felt like it was numb.

Thanx.

I will have this done ASAP!!!!
Old 07-22-2005, 06:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SIIK2NR

Best write up thanks for the info...
Old 07-26-2005, 01:04 AM

so this most likely will void warrenty eh? what if you use an 03 slave? oem isnt it?
Old 07-26-2005, 04:41 AM

I heard about this mod a while back when I first got my car, and after the delay valve came to hinder my driving ability I considered it. Instead I began to "experiment/practice" shifting at full throttle. I found that if you really know how to shift these cars the delay will not be a factor. It only happens if you are on the throttle, between 2nd to 6th, before you let the clutch out. 1st to second shifts are firm and really grab. Before you consider taking out something to make life "easier" for you, think about getting to know your car a little better.

Quick Reply: MY04-05-06 clutch delay slave cylinder removal