S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

MY04-05-06 clutch delay slave cylinder removal

Old 04-20-2005, 07:31 PM

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dyhppy,Apr 20 2005, 05:21 PM
i just found a washer on the floor where the car was when we were working on it. it's about the size of a dime. any idea where it would come from relating to the slave/clutch assembly and the car starting problem?

i made sure the greased ball was seated properly when i put it back together.
Probably from the banjo bolt? Not even sure there though, it could be from something else that's not from your car. I don't think the slave cylinder has any washers on it.

Dude, have you replaced the battery yet or not? I would do that first if it doesn't crank. If it doesn't work, then you have a problem with your electrical system. Maybe a bad ground.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have an 05 and i dont really know what this delay is that everyone is talking about. my engagemet of clutch from red 1st to second is the biggest jerk i feel while accelerating i do notice when shifting fast that my foot is often faster than the clutch peddal returning...is that it?
Old 04-21-2005, 12:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we tried jumping and replacing the batt. no effect. then changed the starter. no effect. the honda people have no idea what is going on. so like i said, any idea where a little washer might come from anywhere in the slave area?
Old 04-22-2005, 11:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best cheap mod. Agreed. i'll explain what happened later.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:33 AM
ff_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SIIK2NR,Apr 9 2005, 06:36 AM
The purpose was to protect the differential from heavy beatings and clutch dumps.

04 has a stronger diff so the need for the slave is mute.
The delay is there to protect the driveline, regardless of how strong it is. To say that the point is mute is not true. All parts will wear more quickly if you continually beat on them.

I would warn you guys that are considering removal of the delay valve, that doing so can easily void your warranty. If you go in for driveline repair, expect the dealership to be checking to see if you have the valve in place. If it's gone, get out your checkbook.

I hate clutch delay valves (had 'em on the BMW's too), and fully expect the dealership to replace a prematurely-worn clutch under warranty. Had a clutch replaced for free at 18K miles on my last 330i.

Once the car is out of warranty, naturally, the first thing to come out is that little eff'ing valve...
Old 04-23-2005, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by ff_,Apr 23 2005, 07:33 AM
If you go in for driveline repair, expect the dealership to be checking to see if you have the valve in place.
I HIGHLY doubt that. Most service departments probably don't even know about the valve much less assume an owner would have taken it out.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by dyhppy,Apr 23 2005, 02:18 AM
Best cheap mod. Agreed. i'll explain what happened later.
yes its a great mod...

so what was wrong with your car?

Old 04-23-2005, 06:15 PM

Just completed this mod. Thanks for the great write up. Pedal is still a little low. I need to work it a bit to get it back where it was. Engagement is great though.

May I suggest that the need fore the banjo bolt gaskets be added to the required materials? Honda stocks them if you want to pay $3 each, or you can go aftermarket. I don't recommend reusing brake or clutch bolt seals since they do see a little pressure and a leak will not be a good thing.

Old 04-23-2005, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by jzz30,Apr 21 2005, 01:35 AM
i have an 05 and i dont really know what this delay is that everyone is talking about. my engagemet of clutch from red 1st to second is the biggest jerk i feel while accelerating i do notice when shifting fast that my foot is often faster than the clutch peddal returning...is that it?
It took me a while to figure out what they were talking about too. It was a while before I got "in tune" enough with the car to feel it and even now, I don't always.

You'll only notice the delay on a max effort shift. When it happens, there will be a definite drag down of the engine as the clutch engages after a speed shift. I've only felt it a couple of times on my '04. Most of the time, I'm not pushing the car enough for it to be of any significance. If you're not feeling it on your car, I wouldn't worry about it.

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:02 PM

Nevermind..

Quick Reply: MY04-05-06 clutch delay slave cylinder removal