S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

MY04-05-06 clutch delay slave cylinder removal

Old 11-24-2006, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

double post
Old 11-24-2006, 10:09 PM

For those of you who are saying your car still slips after removing the delay valve . . . yes your clutch may be slipping . . . BUT it might not be, Billman has also noted that the factory AP2 flywheel is heavier than the AP1 flywheel and therefore cannot be shifted quite as quick. Either way you still gotta pull the tranny . . . but when you do change the flywheel with the clutch! lol
Old 11-25-2006, 03:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smracer31,Nov 24 2006, 05:11 PM
do you have a dead pedal feel for the first 2 inches or so. i flushed the clutch line twice cause i thought their was air the first time but its still the same feeling.
This is the classic symptom of air remaining in the clutch line. When I've performed work on the clutch slave cylinder it can sometimes take a very long time and multiple (>7) flushing attempts to purge all of the air. When the system is properly bled, there will be very little (~1/2") "dead space" when the pedal is first depressed. Two inches is too much.

Try different ways to purge the air. I have had success with the following. Have your assistant do multiple pumps of the clutch pedal before fully depressing it. While the pedal is depressed crack open the bleed bolt and then close it as soon as the fluid stops flowing. Repeat multiple times. Note that you will need to lift the pedal back up between pumping attempts and the bleed bolt must be closed before doing so or air may get sucked into the line.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:05 AM

Well I read the whold thread, man what a long one!! But anyways, I thought about changing the slave cylinder in my 05 to an 03 one, but I see you must mod it a little bit, so why not go with stock one and even save more $$? Well, I'm going to plan on doing this if I keep my car, if I don I will do it in the spring.
I experienced the delayed coming out of a rest area on the expressway 2 days ago, and man it pissed me the hell off!!!! 1st gear then right to a long delay between 1st and 2nd........Totally stupid!!! This mod is a must!!!
Old 12-05-2006, 08:26 AM

Feels much better after the mod. I like!
My snap ring flew out somewhere, luckily my lil bro found it.

The delay was greatly reduced.

although I think I need to flush out my clutch fluid now. That things dirty!

Old 12-05-2006, 10:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kumar75150,Aug 3 2005, 05:26 PM
I found a WAY easier way to get the snap ring out......Buy a 1/16 drill bit..Drill into the side of the slave so that you can push the snap ring with the pick.It will pop right out .
I too have done the mod this way. It was MUCH easier for me after about an hour trying with the mechanics pic set to no avail.

Clutch feel is much improved and release is much more responsive now. Thanks all for this valuable information.

Just make sure when you are drilling the small hole that it is directly in line with the snap ring (not below or above it). Then you can just push the snap ring out with one of the mechanics pics through the hole you made and hook it and pull it out of the slave cylinder.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:19 AM

Did the clutch got harder to press after the valve removal? Thats my only concern, I went from ap1 to ap2 and the clutch on the ap1 was hard as hell, on the ap2 is so soft.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:55 AM

ok i have a problem. i did this mod last year, and noticed the difference, but i read the post again, and noticed i only removed the big tube looking part. i think i left the other one in there. is this going to cause a problem, or will there be more of a difference if i remove both?
Old 02-21-2007, 07:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know how you left the smaller piece in there but I would remove it as it's doing no good floating around in the slave.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by minhdinh85,Feb 21 2007, 09:55 AM
ok i have a problem. i did this mod last year, and noticed the difference, but i read the post again, and noticed i only removed the big tube looking part. i think i left the other one in there. is this going to cause a problem, or will there be more of a difference if i remove both?
Um i dont remember removing that either.. lol.

Quick Reply: MY04-05-06 clutch delay slave cylinder removal