S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

MY04-05-06 clutch delay slave cylinder removal

Old 08-14-2006, 01:19 PM
ayS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SIIK2NR,Jul 21 2006, 04:16 AM
2 reasons that the clutch is slipping.

1. Your timing is off and you are gassing a split second before being fully off the clutch.
2. Your clutch needs to be replaced soon. (which could be caused by #1)
so just shift a "bit" slower?
Old 08-14-2006, 01:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The entire original 3/36 warrantee can not be voided if alterations are made to the car. However, if the modification can be linked to a specific failure, warrantee can be denied. Thus, if you do the mod, you must be willing to accept the denial of warrantee for drivetrain-related failures.

If you wait to do the modification, all you are doing is delaying its positive and negative aspects. You will still be responsible if any failures occur, just as you would be now.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by CoralDoc,Aug 14 2006, 02:20 PM
The entire original 3/36 warrantee can not be voided if alterations are made to the car. However, if the modification can be linked to a specific failure, warrantee can be denied. Thus, if you do the mod, you must be willing to accept the denial of warrantee for drivetrain-related failures.

If you wait to do the modification, all you are doing is delaying its positive and negative aspects. You will still be responsible if any failures occur, just as you would be now.
I dont want to do the mod and then have another powertrain related problem occur indepedent from the mod and not be covered.

I had to replace my rear diff about 2K into the car, and if I did this mod before that, the dealer may have not given me a new diff.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by FMINUS,Aug 14 2006, 03:31 PM
I dont want to do the mod and then have another powertrain related problem occur indepedent from the mod and not be covered.

I had to replace my rear diff about 2K into the car, and if I did this mod before that, the dealer may have not given me a new diff.
Well, sounds like you've already answered your own question.

The thing of it is, Honda put that delay valve in there to protect the drive train. It's doing it at the expense of the clutch but the clutch is a lot cheaper to replace than the rear diff or the tranny. By defeating this "feature" you're running a greater risk of damaging something else if you drive the car aggressively. If you don't drive that aggressively, or don't do it that often, it won't make that much difference.

You just have to decide whether or not it's worth the risk to you while the car's still in warranty.

Good luck,
Steve R.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:34 PM

i have a question... ill be doing this on my MY06 soon.... but only have 1800 miles on my car.. is this too soon to perform this (cause id be changing my fluid)?
Old 08-14-2006, 10:13 PM

so i worked on this mod yesterday and today. Yesterday, took off the slave cylinder and could not get the ring off at all. Bro's a dentist so i got a dental pick from him. I ended up breaking both sides to the pick and still cant find where the pieces went. Anyways, i decided last night that i was going to buy the 03 and install that over the weekend. Today, i was reading some more posts and someone mentioned the craftsman pick set from sears. I decided to give it a try once more. Took, literally 20 secs to get the ring out.

I noticed there is still a slight delay when i shift, not as long as before. My bro-in-law also drove and there was also a slight delay when shifting. The engine does sound like it responds quicker. My question is, is it the clutch thats starting to slip? or does eveyrone have a slight delay?

My car is an 04 wiht 20k miles on it. i drive it hard every now and then but not much. ive never dumped the clutch from a stop before.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mic_crispy,Aug 14 2006, 08:34 PM
i have a question... ill be doing this on my MY06 soon.... but only have 1800 miles on my car.. is this too soon to perform this (cause id be changing my fluid)?
Your fine. The brake/clutch fluid is just that.... nothing special added. You could change it everyday if you had the time to do it. Just make sure you bleed the line properly and you'll be good to go.

Tim
Old 08-16-2006, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by SIIK2NR,Aug 15 2006, 01:13 AM
Your fine. The brake/clutch fluid is just that.... nothing special added. You could change it everyday if you had the time to do it. Just make sure you bleed the line properly and you'll be good to go.

Tim
thanks! great wright up too!
Old 08-20-2006, 12:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just did this on my new 06 (~1k miles).

Craftsman pick set. Used 2, the straight one and the angled one to hold counter so the clip didn't spin. I held the whole cylinder with one hand as well as the counter pick and pushed it out with the straight pick with the other hand. I also did not remove the clutch line and just did the whole operation under the car. Got a box to rest the cylinder on. Unfortunately the clutch still had to be bled because the line goes through the clip area so some fluid will drip out when you remove it.

Don't forget that the 2 bolts are only torqued to 16 lb/ft ! I used a swivel neck ratchet extension socket to get the torque done.

Rock on!
Old 11-24-2006, 01:11 PM

back from the dead, for the people that put the 03 on their 04 and up, do you have a dead pedal feel for the first 2 inches or so. i flushed the clutch line twice cause i thought their was air the first time but its still the same feeling. clutch feels better and is great but the first 2 inches of the pedal just feel dead/sloppy. anybody else experience this?

Quick Reply: MY04-05-06 clutch delay slave cylinder removal