S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

MY04-05-06 clutch delay slave cylinder removal

Old 01-15-2006, 12:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ThumperMK,Jan 15 2006, 01:08 PM
I knew I wasn't going crazy. I was telling my friend the first week I had my S, "the clutch slips a little when I shift!"

Has anybody in the LA (southbay area) done this and can help me out. I don't have the tools nor the mechanical inclination to do this. I'd be willing to drive down to SD if SIIK2NR wants to put me on the list of 20 something of this mod.
Last year I helped a few socal members so there should be someone local that can help you with this mod....
Old 01-16-2006, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I knew what everyone was talking about. When I shift hard my car pulls hard. I guess I will have to go drive and see if I notice the delay. But whenever I drive hard, shift, and let out the clutch really fast I always seem to get yanked by the pull of my car. Hmmmm.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:59 PM
ayS

Originally Posted by 24s2k7,Jan 16 2006, 10:52 PM
I wish I knew what everyone was talking about. When I shift hard my car pulls hard. I guess I will have to go drive and see if I notice the delay. But whenever I drive hard, shift, and let out the clutch really fast I always seem to get yanked by the pull of my car. Hmmmm.
you will defintely notice this if you are shifting fast enough. the gears will feel like it's slipping (clutch delay is working) it's tempermental though at times. so sometimes you will shift and it will not come on. for my car is was pretty obvious.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:57 PM

definately something you can feel. The most noticeable time is when I would shift 1-2 under heavy acceleration, it's like that sudden 1sec hesitation where the revs climb but the car isn't moving. Under regular driving, you won't feel a difference.

It's a pretty simple mod to remove with the right tools. PITA w/out
Old 02-23-2006, 06:24 PM

Will a new '03 slave work in an '05? My mechanic ordered the '03, but it's smaller and he said the fitting wasn't the same. Anyone actually done this? Thanks.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just remove the little value in the 05 slave

and for less money

the 03 sway is a Pain the ....... to make it work right

05 mod is the ONLY / BEST way
Old 02-23-2006, 07:39 PM

Great post man.

Old 02-27-2006, 05:17 PM
R11

I FINALLY got around to pulling the evil delay valve out from my '04. By the end of last summer and into fall I had to quit doing hard redline rows through the gears due to clutch slippage. My '04 always slipped a bit from the beginning, but it slowly got worse. It got to the point where I'd occasionaly have to back off on the throttle a bit to stop the slippage and I felt like I was just abusing my clutch...

This weekend I decided to do a bunch of stuff I'd been meaning to catch up on so I changed the motor oil, tranny oil (to GM friction modified), rear end gear lube and pulled the delay valve. My S is SO much happier now .

From the beginning I had noticed a bit of strange clutch action. The engagement just didn't feel quite normal. I found myself modulating the engagement with the throttle a lot to feather it out. Also, it had always made a strange growling kind of noise right at the engagement point that bugged the heck out of me. With the delay valve out the engagement feels much better with no vagueness or extra throttle modulation needed. It grabs quickly but is easy to operate smoothly. And the growling is nearly gone entirely. Just a little hint of it that is not bothersome at all . And of course, the hard, fast redline shifts are solid for the first time ever. It's great! For me, even if I never banged gears at redline it would be worthwhile removing the valve just for the better feel of the clutch action and to get rid of the growl...

The friction modified in the tranny is a much welcomed improvement too. Far better when the car is cold or warm. The synchros are now smoother when cold and the engagements always feel very positive and complete. Where it never really smoothed all the way out in cold weather, it now warms up pretty quickly and the synchros become very nice after just a few miles of driving.

I was surprised how thick the factory fill gear lube had become in the rear end. I refilled with Amsoil Severe Gear and it seems less noisey now. I still get a little high pitched whine right at cruising speed in every gear at just the right (wrong) throttle input but its pretty low and easy to eliminate by speeding up or slowing down just a bit. All in all, I'm a pretty happy camper with everything.

ron
Old 02-27-2006, 08:00 PM

whining isnt a good thing... do you have aftermarket gears??
Old 02-27-2006, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by RSXLNT,Feb 23 2006, 07:24 PM
Will a new '03 slave work in an '05? My mechanic ordered the '03, but it's smaller and he said the fitting wasn't the same. Anyone actually done this? Thanks.
All you have to do is grind/cut some length off the retaining pin.

Quick Reply: MY04-05-06 clutch delay slave cylinder removal