S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

MY04-05-06 clutch delay slave cylinder removal

Old 07-26-2005, 04:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ishift@9,May 5 2005, 11:43 AM
I have an 02 and Ive noticed that if I shift too fast, from 1st to 2nd most often, that the clutch will slip and continue to slip until I back off the gas a little and then resume flooring it. If I shift a hair slower, it wont do it.
I have the same issue with my 04, and I have removed the delay valve.

clutch slips if I don't shift perfectly.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:51 AM

Newbie here. Question.

If replacing with an 03 cylinder or just "editing" the 04/05 valve will void the warranty.....

is there a reason that you couldn't put the 04 back to its original spec before you hit the dealer if in fact you do wear something out quicker due to the added abuse?

could they know what you did if you put it back to normal beforehand? telltale signs?

thanks
Old 07-26-2005, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by converted,Jul 26 2005, 04:41 AM
I heard about this mod a while back when I first got my car, and after the delay valve came to hinder my driving ability I considered it. Instead I began to "experiment/practice" shifting at full throttle. I found that if you really know how to shift these cars the delay will not be a factor. It only happens if you are on the throttle, between 2nd to 6th, before you let the clutch out. 1st to second shifts are firm and really grab. Before you consider taking out something to make life "easier" for you, think about getting to know your car a little better.
how many miles do you have on your car? i did not notice the delay valve until 13,000 miles or so. this mod is worth the time regardless. the clutch feel and engagement is much more positive.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:30 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by j bowl,Jul 26 2005, 11:51 AM
Newbie here. Question.

If replacing with an 03 cylinder or just "editing" the 04/05 valve will void the warranty.....

is there a reason that you couldn't put the 04 back to its original spec before you hit the dealer if in fact you do wear something out quicker due to the added abuse?

could they know what you did if you put it back to normal beforehand? telltale signs?

thanks
I'm sure it will not actually 'VOID' the warranty, it's just that the service dept. is likely (in the eyes of many) to TRY to deny any warranty claim on any drivetrain component that might be affected by this mod.

And there is no way to tell this mod has been done if you just save the parts and put them back in before the car goes to the dealer. The crew from CSI might be able to tell from tool marks on bolt heads, etc. but I seriously doubt Honda will be bringing in any certified mechanical forensics experts to look at your mounting bolt heads, (Which they'd have to take off anyway, thus marking them themselves)
Old 07-26-2005, 10:50 AM

[QUOTE=converted,Jul 26 2005, 07:41 AM] I heard about this mod a while back when I first got my car, and after the delay valve came to hinder my driving ability I considered it.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:17 AM
R11

Whoa! Captain, that's a little harsh man... but I do have to say I agree with the basic sentiment . The delay valve can only serve to increase the degree of slippage on hard redline shifts. The slippage on my '04 wasn't too bad when it was new but has progressively gotten worse to the point where I've now been forced to hold back a bit on the fun stuff for fear of frying my clutch. I've been planning on pulling the valve but just haven't gotten around to it yet with all the other projects. I'll just have to make a point to do it when I get back from my backpack trip in a couple weeks I think. Definitely looking forward to a clutch with a little bite to it again...

ron
Old 07-26-2005, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by 03exlcoupe,Jul 26 2005, 01:20 PM
how many miles do you have on your car? i did not notice the delay valve until 13,000 miles or so. this mod is worth the time regardless. the clutch feel and engagement is much more positive.
I have just over 13k on the car, but noticed it early on after the break-in period. I still hit it (delay) from time to time, but it just encourages me to pay a little more attention.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainMike,Jul 26 2005, 02:50 PM
Coming to an 04 from an 00 this delay valve makes the clutch feel soft, mushy, and inexact. I think it's marginally possible I "know the car a little better" than you do, as do MANY other people who track and autocross extensively, yet also made the decision to remove this valve to restore the crispness to the clutch feel and engagement that went missing with this design change.
Perhaps you could come out to the next major Autocross or HPDE and hold a clinic for several of us since you "really know how to shift these cars" I promise you'll get plenty of "experiment/practice" shifting at full throttle" And where exactly do you prcatice full throttle shifting from 5th to 6th? Or were you referring to shifting "between 2nd to 6th, before you let the clutch out."? If that is what you are referring to, I imagine the delay valve might help, but I can't say for sure because I've never done a "2nd to 6th" "on the throttle" shift.

BTW, not too many of us on here enjoy having our driving skills and automotive knowledge flagrantly insulted. Maybe just post your impressions and opinions without the insults next time

Cheers!
Mike

edited for 'harshness'
I want to apologize, I never intended to be insulting. I was not in anyway challenging people's driving ability. My point is that you can eliminate the delay with good shifting practices. I have only shifted at redline in 5th gear a handful of times. As far as my 2nd to 6th shift, I was referring to climbing through the gears (2-3-4-5-6), sorry it confused you. I appreciate your invitation for giving a clinic. I would be more than happy to help you out, although I'm quite sure you don't really mean it.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not the originator of this mod (billman250 and Eilstan) but I am the originator of this thread. I would say that this mod by it's self is mechanically proven to work.

The issue is the driver and the clutch engagement. Both in some instances require some adjustments.

I've found that the 04 clutch pedal has a slightly higher engagement point. This can play a factor is high speed/high rev shifting. If your not off the clutch pedal you'll still slip but it has nothing to do with the mod not working.

Some members have made this a 2 fold mod where they take the delay valve out AND lower the clutch disengagement point.

Either way you have to learn the mechanics of the car.

If your just a crappy shifter...then your shift will suck no matter what car you drive or what clutch you upgrade too. Plain and simple, some people can drive a manual car better than others.

With the AP2/>MY04 out for over a year now....a lot more people are noticing the delay. Every other "meet" I find someone asking about it. With it in, it definately dumbs the whole driving experience IMO.

I'll repeat one of my original statements to say.... if you don't feel the delay...you don't need the mod.

Drive safe.

Tim
Old 07-26-2005, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by converted,Jul 26 2005, 03:31 PM
I want to apologize, I never intended to be insulting. I was not in anyway challenging people's driving ability. My point is that you can eliminate the delay with good shifting practices. I have only shifted at redline in 5th gear a handful of times. As far as my 2nd to 6th shift, I was referring to climbing through the gears (2-3-4-5-6), sorry it confused you. I appreciate your invitation for giving a clinic. I would be more than happy to help you out, although I'm quite sure you don't really mean it.
I completely accept your apology and I agree wholeheartedly that you can eliminate the (problems caused by the) delay by modifying your shifting practices.

I don't necessarily agree that shifting to conform to the demands of the delay is "good" however. I found it quite distracting to always find myself shifting 'around' the delay instead of what felt 'natural' to my driving style. I also think that the presence of the delay will ultimitely shorten the life of the friction disk, at least in my case. I have heard that the delay works quite well with a stronger pressure plate. Next time I'm in there I intend to try a stiffer pressure plate and reinstall the delay valve, just to try it out. I personally feel that 'most' people will be faster around the track with this valve removed than with it in place. Maybe if I make it up to Jax or St. Aug. for an Auto-X we can compare times delayed/undelayed. (And I WAS joking about the clinic
)
Drive safe!
Mike

P.S. Bottom line is that I enjoy my car more without a delayed clutch, maybe you enjoy yours more with it, but I humbly suggest that you try it without the delay and see how you like it. It is a really easy mod to both do and undo.

Disclaimer!!! anyone who blows their tranny or diff after doing this mod, don't go crying to anyone, I believe it does increase the risk of shockloading the drivetrain, it's really a personal assessment you need to make based upon your own driving style and needs. IMHO this is not a car to LEARN doing launches in regardless of mods.

Quick Reply: MY04-05-06 clutch delay slave cylinder removal