S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

MY02 Cranking, but no start?

Old 11-26-2003, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry... supposed to be MYO3.

Has less than 7000 miles, cranks healthy but won't start. There is a rapid clicking under the dash of a relay engaging/disengaging and it coincides with a faint lighting of the Check Engine light. When you stop cranking, the clicking stops and the CEL is off. I would almost think that the battery is low and the fuel pump or ECU relay is dropping out, but the battery seems good and I also tried jumping off another car. Fuel is being delivered (pump spools and plugs are wet) but I can't check spark very easy (by myself right now with no scope).

The car is in excellent shape. The head came off and apart for a Toda cam install and light P&P. Went all back together fine, clearanced, light mill, everything that I disconnected I reconnected (electrical and vacuum). I have verified compression (~250 on all 4 holes), verified cam timing, and verified proper placement of the TDC sensors (per the parts manual, the Helms actually doesn't show proper placement). The placement appears right per what pics I have as well.

I'm guessing that I have something disconnected but don't know WTF it is.

I'm kind of at a loss here. Next I will check for spark but the relay clicking makes me think the ECU is unhappy or confused by something not connected right.

Any ideas?
Old 11-26-2003, 01:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would check the fuel pump relay - this has been a weak spot on Hondas - they are partcularly sensitive to this when temperatures change.

It is either fuel delivery, spark, or both. Pull a plug - can you detect fuel?
Old 11-26-2003, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by Road Rage
It is either fuel delivery, spark, or both. Pull a plug - can you detect fuel?
Originally posted by marcucci
Fuel is being delivered (pump spools and plugs are wet)
From the description, it seems like it is definitely spark. Any other ideas? Keep 'em coming (I have a vested interest in the responses).
Old 11-26-2003, 03:57 PM

I don't know if this is relevant, but in the past I've heard a single click noise that seemed to come from under the dash/steering wheel. It occurred when I tapped the brake to disengage the Cruise Control. I don't know how that could be related, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
Old 11-26-2003, 05:07 PM

If it is getting fuel, we are back to spark - I do not have a schematic of the car yet, so I cannot help much - once I learn this car perhaps I will.

Have you checked all the fuses, esp the underhood ones?

I think we can assume that it is not just one of the coils - the car would probably start and run very bad, or backfire. I do not think you are getting primary juice to the circuit that fires the coils.

You either have loss of continuity, something not connected that should be, or perhaps something (like the crank sensor) that is very finicky about its positioning.

That TDC things has me concerned - are you sure you got it indexed to what it needs to be indexed to?

PM XViper - he knows the car and has the manuals.
Old 11-27-2003, 05:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check the starter solenoid
Old 11-27-2003, 06:07 AM

Originally posted by RazorV3
check the starter solenoid
If there was a problem with the starter solenoid, the car wouldn't crank at all, would it? In this case, the car cranks, it just won't fire up.
Old 11-27-2003, 06:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mxt_77
Old 11-27-2003, 06:23 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

I'd check the main engine ground G101 at the back of the Cylinder head. The pcm's main ground is G101. If you don't find a problem there, Do you have a Green key light flashing when the engine is not starting, If so than it's an immobilzer problem.
Old 11-27-2003, 10:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone else posted a thread a while back where they had a problem with the TDC sensor(s) at the back of the head. Since you had the head off and installed new cams, it might be worth finding that thread.

Quick Reply: MY02 Cranking, but no start?