S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Are my wheel studs waiting to kill me?

Old 07-20-2010, 02:53 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Are my wheel studs waiting to kill me?

About 6 months ago, I did something colossally stupid, but am only just realizing that it may have future repercussions.

I had my wheels off for something, I can't remember what, and was being rushed to get them back on... I had just gotten all my wheels on, and slightly tight with a ratchet, and I was about to get my torque wrench to properly torque the wheels and lower the car when I got distracted by something for a few minutes. I came back to the car, forgetting that I hadn't torqued the lug nuts, dropped the car, and drove off to dinner.

On my way back, I noticed a knocking noise, and some vibration. I had no clue what was going on, and home wasn't too far so I kept going. When I got back, I realized the gravity of what I'd done. Each of my wheels was basically on the verge of falling off.

I counted my blessings that I hadn't crashed, torqued the nuts, and swore that I would never speak of it for as long as I lived. I've been reading a lot about broken wheel studs lately though, and I now know that I what I did has the potential to seriously mess up my all of wheel studs.

That was in March. I've been driving normally since. I've taken the wheels off, and put them back on several times (I change them for autocross, and recently changed brake pads), and I've autocrossed the car a couple times. I even spent a weekend on the dragon, at WTD in april. No broken studs from removing lug nuts, or driving.

Am I driving in a death trap? Is there a way to tell? Do I need to immediately replace all my wheels studs?
Old 07-20-2010, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont feel too bad, we all make mistakes from time to time. That being said, Im not sure that anybody is going to be able to say the wheel studs are 100% ok. Some might theorize that since youve driven on them for so long, and done some spirited/competitive driving, that you are most likely ok. That might be true, but im not sure its worth the risk of damaging the car or injuring someone if a couple wheel studs do break off.

If I were in your spot, Id start looking for quotes to get the changed, and try and not drive the car if youve got something else you can drive.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i did that on a customers car once, it's amazing how dangerous things get when your rushing and aren't paying attention.

on a side note, you will be fine. as long as they dont look stretched or anything i can't see a problem coming out of nowhere months down the line. if you feel you can tackle it yourself for piece of mind, go for it.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've done it before on my previous car, but only got out of my garage then remembered. You should be fine if they don't look damaged.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:08 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a strange vibration once and got the car (a Nissan NX) on to a hoist. After some time checking everything it turned out my right front wheel was being held on by one nut tight and another loose. And two broken studs. I had recently got new wheels and tyres and the shop had apparently for gotten to tighten them. The remaining stud hole had elongated quite a bit from the movement.

I relate this because I was down to one nut reasonably tight, and one other stud. I expect if there is no visible damage to the stud holes or the studs you will be alright. Just keep an eye on them for future deformation.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:27 AM

Thanks everyone

I'll just keep a close eye on them whenever I change my wheels (which is pretty frequently).
Old 07-21-2010, 11:37 AM

Received 416 Likes on 239 Posts

No, but...

ManBearPig is.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Gigdy,Jul 21 2010, 03:37 PM
No, but...

[IMG]http://www.slurvemag.com/Season3/images/manbearpig.jpg[IMG]

ManBearPig is.

Are you... super serial?