S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Is my wheel bearing going bad?

Old 07-22-2010, 10:37 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Is my wheel bearing going bad?

I have a 2002 with 86k miles. No mods, stock ride height. After driving for a while, I get a ticking noise coming from the passenger side rear at normal road speed. When moving slowly, the ticking noise turns into a metallic scraping/grinding noise. It's not extremely loud, but definitely noticeable at low speed.

There has been a very quiet ticking noise on the highway for a few months, but it only started the grinding noise about 100 miles ago. There isn't any noticeable play in any of the wheels, but I am getting the axle click/pop when going forward to reverse and vice versa.

More specific symptoms:

1-Ticking noise at speed that varied with wheel speed.
2-Only makes the noise after driving for a while (ie. I suspect only after the bearing had time to get hot)
3-Weaving back and forth at low speed causes the noise to get alternately better and worse depending direction you are turning. It completely goes away if I turn right (putting more load on the good driver's side rear wheel)
4-Applying the brakes has no affect on the noise

So, here it is... In the video the camera is on a monopod, being held directly next to the bad wheel while I turn left at low speed. If I were to turn right, the noise would completely go away. I'm pretty sure it's the bearing, but I'd like to get some confirmation from others who have heard bad wheel bearings before. Thanks!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsw_EwnUcGU [/media]
Old 07-23-2010, 05:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep. wheel bearing
Old 07-23-2010, 06:18 AM

Not trying to thread jack you, but I think I may have the same problem. A little different situation though. I have a Megan single which is pretty loud to hearing a light "ticking" is out of the question. However, when I pulled out of the garage this morning I heard 2 loud POPS coming from the rear upon moving forward (the car was backed in the garage). My car just turned 100k and I am lowered on Koni Yellows/Skunk2 springs. Could this be the same thing?
Old 07-23-2010, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by my2ks2k,Jul 23 2010, 09:41 AM
yep. wheel bearing
Thanks

Can anybody else comfirm that it's the bearing? Looking to get a few different opinions.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:01 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

it could be that your brake pads are sticking..... jack up that side and turn the wheel....see what you hear....
Old 07-23-2010, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by s2000maniac,Jul 23 2010, 12:01 PM
it could be that your brake pads are sticking..... jack up that side and turn the wheel....see what you hear....
No obvious noise when I do that. Also, when I'm driving and apply the brakes, the sound doesn't change. Oh, my pads are brand new, so that's not a really worn pad scraping on the rotor either.

That should sufficiently rule out the brakes, yeah?
Old 07-23-2010, 08:40 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Sounds like a wheel bearing to me and your symptoms confirm it.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by TopGear,Jul 23 2010, 08:05 AM
No obvious noise when I do that. Also, when I'm driving and apply the brakes, the sound doesn't change. Oh, my pads are brand new, so that's not a really worn pad scraping on the rotor either.

That should sufficiently rule out the brakes, yeah?
I would go with wheel bearing. Your brake test was fine.

Have you tried jacking the car up grabbing both the top and the bottom of the wheel and try to shake wobble it? If it does not move that is a good sign, if it moves you have a bearing issue. Sometimes a bearing can be bad and the wheel will still not wobble but its a easy quick test.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by ljsimp,Jul 23 2010, 12:40 PM
I would go with wheel bearing. Your brake test was fine.

Have you tried jacking the car up grabbing both the top and the bottom of the wheel and try to shake wobble it? If it does not move that is a good sign, if it moves you have a bearing issue. Sometimes a bearing can be bad and the wheel will still not wobble but its a easy quick test.
Yeah, I've tried. No obvious wobble, but according to this post the tolerances for this are small enough that it could be way out of spec and I still wouldn't be able to tell by hand.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:58 AM

Bump, anyone else? I know a LOT of people on here have had wheel bearings go bad...

Quick Reply: Is my wheel bearing going bad?