S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

My top doesnt want to fold

Old 09-08-2011, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My top doesnt want to fold

Ive only had my car for one and a half months now but tonight I went to put my top down (it was 60 tonight) it wouldnt go down, until the 5th attempt. The straps are only a month old - if that (modifry straps).

Any ideas whats going on? Or is this normal for colder weather?
Old 09-09-2011, 04:55 AM

LOL--define "colder" :-)

Here in BC, my top works just fine down to freezing temperatures. I'd advise you to have a look at the top assembly to see if something is binding or broken.

Good luck.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:14 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My top works fine, right down to freezing temperatures (even with the old, OEM worn out straps). Maybe your softop motors are going bad?
Old 09-09-2011, 07:09 AM

Its a 08 - I wouldnt imagine the motor is already failing. I didnt see anything binding up and there was nothing in the way. I was getting in my car that was parked outside of work and instead of it being 75-80 it was in the low 60s. I thought it was worth mentioning.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:14 AM

Received 1,395 Likes on 836 Posts

ALL s2ks owners should hold that bar towards the back while lowering the top. Even on a brand new car (the bar that the elastic straps are supposed to pull back)
Old 09-09-2011, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
ALL s2ks owners should hold that bar towards the back while lowering the top. Even on a brand new car (the bar that the elastic straps are supposed to pull back)

Video? I can see myself losing some fingers trying this.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:00 PM

What do mean by "it wouldn't go down"? No movement at all when you push the button or goes down part way then stops? If the top doesn't move at all, make sure you have the parking brake pulled up.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:59 PM

It stopped short of folding all the way, if I had to guess it stopped about 5 inches above where it should normally stop.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Blindeye_03
It stopped short of folding all the way, if I had to guess it stopped about 5 inches above where it should normally stop.
Billman is talking about the front bar that the elastic straps attach to. You can rotate it back when the front edge of the top is about over your head and the tension is released from the bar as you are retracting the top. No danger of losing a digit! That's what I would do before I got Modifry's straps. The bar should move freely. If it sticks or is stiff you may have to lubricate it. If that bar doesn't rotate all the way back you when you put the top down, you can tear your top.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by cbayman
Originally Posted by Blindeye_03' timestamp='1315630747' post='20959896
Billman is talking about the front bar that the elastic straps attach to. You can rotate it back when the front edge of the top is about over your head and the tension is released from the bar as you are retracting the top. No danger of losing a digit! That's what I would do before I got Modifry's straps. The bar should move freely. If it sticks or is stiff you may have to lubricate it. If that bar doesn't rotate all the way back you when you put the top down, you can tear your top.
Thanks for the info. I havent noticed that bar actually moving, but then again I have never really looked for it to move. Ill have to check it out today.

Quick Reply: My top doesnt want to fold