S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

my T1R exhaust system broke

Old 08-08-2004, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't worry, nothing is gonna happen if you drive off without it. The muffler serves one purpose: to dampen the sound. You're just gonna set off alot of car alarms when you drive around .

If i were you, i would just send the exhaust back to speedstar and ask him to replace it. Its unacceptable to have an exhaust break on you within 2 months. You shouldn't have to pay a muffler shop to weld it back on for you. Plus, the welds that come straight from T1R are cleaner than what most muffler shops can do.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StinkyTofu,Aug 8 2004, 11:27 AM
Don't worry, nothing is gonna happen if you drive off without it. The muffler serves one purpose: to dampen the sound. You're just gonna set off alot of car alarms when you drive around .

If i were you, i would just send the exhaust back to speedstar and ask him to replace it. Its unacceptable to have an exhaust break on you within 2 months. You shouldn't have to pay a muffler shop to weld it back on for you. Plus, the welds that come straight from T1R are cleaner than what most muffler shops can do.
What if I drive to work tomorrow without it and then to a muffler shop to get a temporary muffler. Will I be ok then. I imagine the exhaust is very hot and exiting at the end of the cat may burn something. Is this not true?

I talked to one guy at a muffler shop because I wanted to know the consequenses of driving without a muffler. He said in the newer cars it could mess up compression ratios.
Old 08-08-2004, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by StinkyTofu,Aug 8 2004, 11:27 AM

The welds are small because they are TIG. But they are far from clean...atleast on mine. I noticed some contamination in my welds during inspection pre-installation. A contaminated weld can cause weaknesses and potentially lead to stress fractures as it seems was experienced here.

I hope these parts are warrantied...let us know how they treat you.
Old 08-08-2004, 04:14 PM

wow thanks for the info, i'd say contact t1r or the distributor also. it should be covered with only 2 montsh of use.

keep us updated
Old 08-08-2004, 04:45 PM

I'd say talk to T1R if you don't mind waiting for warranty replacement, or any muffler shop can weld it back on for you.
Old 08-08-2004, 07:09 PM

Not impressed at all ... Exhausts weldings should not break off, period. This one joins the JIC variant as a lemon.

I don't think the Spugen, ARC or Amuse titanium owners have this problem.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:36 PM

I suggest giving Speed Star or A&J Racing a call. I'm sure they'll take good care of you.

Originally Posted by SSS 01,Aug 8 2004, 07:09 PM
I don't think the Spugen, ARC or Amuse titanium owners have this problem.
Think again.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:53 PM

I have also experienced melting of the bumper. The part of the bumper that is closest to the passenger side of the tip has melted a hole the size of a soda can in my bumper. I will post pics as soon as I have time to take them..
Old 08-09-2004, 09:35 AM

It's not unusual for N1 style exhausts (especially with Ti tips) to burn the rear bumpers, that's why it's always a good idea to put heat resistant tape on inside of the bumper, around the exhaust.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:52 AM

That would have been a nice thing to know BEFORE I got the exhaust. I don't see it happening on other N1 systems.

Quick Reply: my T1R exhaust system broke