S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

My stick shift is leaning at an angle to right after clutch job? Problem?

Old 11-15-2015, 05:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default My stick shift is leaning at an angle to right after clutch job? Problem?

Recently had a mechanic redo another mechanic's crap clutch job. Honda OEM parts with ACT 9lb flywheel*.

Car drives like a dream and so does clutch except one problem: stick shift leans 15-20% degrees to the right in neutral.

The Stick shift slides perfectly into gear and aligns 90 degrees in first or second...other gears look like 10% degrees right.

Doesn't seem to affect functionality but I do feel weird looking at it....looks like it's in 5th gear when it's in third. Haven't missed any shifts because of it though.

Problem or nothing to worry about. Shifts like a dream, no clutch buzz, and shifting never felt so damn good.

EDIT:

Here's a picture. I decided to test and see if it shifts perfectly into 3rd from neutral...yep. Shifts are fine leading me to believe it might be the angle is off. Not a big problem....any potential issues? Considering I lowered the flywheel weight to 9lbs and hadn't driven in awhile, i shift like a champ.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the mounts
Old 11-15-2015, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by kwin5946
Check the mounts

You think it's just broken or misaligned? Car's solid when driving, no shaking or vibration issues.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:23 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

The shifter is in backwards.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Slows2k
The shifter is in backwards.

For reals! how did you come to that conclusion?
Old 11-15-2015, 07:41 PM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

Experience? Removing the shifter means unscrewing the shift knob popping off the center console, then carefully removing the plastic ring before unbolting the bolts that hold it on, check the little plastic pivot ball at the bottom of the shifter. Often times they're broken and barely held on.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:37 PM

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,086 Posts

+1. When I changed the bushing at the end of my shifter, I couldn't tell which way it went back in. I could see it would lean to one side if it was backwards. I spent some time googling for some photos that would reveal which way it went back, to avoid having to do over.

Sounds like second shop did a better job than first shop, but still managed to screw something up.

Sent from my SM-G920P using IB AutoGroup
Old 11-16-2015, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Experience? Removing the shifter means unscrewing the shift knob popping off the center console, then carefully removing the plastic ring before unbolting the bolts that hold it on, check the little plastic pivot ball at the bottom of the shifter. Often times they're broken and barely held on.
Think he could have put it on backwards and it's broken too. In that case I'll probably order the pivot ball too.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
+1. When I changed the bushing at the end of my shifter, I couldn't tell which way it went back in. I could see it would lean to one side if it was backwards. I spent some time googling for some photos that would reveal which way it went back, to avoid having to do over.

Sounds like second shop did a better job than first shop, but still managed to screw something up.

Sent from my SM-G920P using IB AutoGroup

Worth Doing it myself instead of driving the car all the way to the shop again? i took out the shifter once before and con'f recall it being too hard.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:56 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,418 Likes on 1,052 Posts

I'd take it back to the shop. They should pay for parts and labor to get the shifter back in correctly. A backwards shifter is the most likely issue.

Quick Reply: My stick shift is leaning at an angle to right after clutch job? Problem?