S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

My soft top won't go up

Old 04-08-2010, 02:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up My soft top won't go up

So my daily driver is taking a $hit on me with a CV joint and whatnot. No big deal, I can drive the S for a few days. Back out of the garage and the rear window on the hardtop starts leaking. I pull it back in and quickly take the hardtop off. I flip the roof switch and nothin'. I pulled the center console. Roof switch is still hooked up, opened the hood and both L&R soft top fuses are fine. I don't hear any kind of motor action or nothing while I am pushing the roof switch. I'm at a loss right now and I need some help. Yes, Ebrake was up and in N. Any ideas are better than where I'm at right now. Thanks in advance fellas
Old 04-08-2010, 02:42 AM

Roof instructions are here

I never had to do it, but I think all the info you need to manually put your roof up is in that thread.. Good luck to you buddy.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Banned

When you hit the switch in the 'raise' position, do your windows roll down? If they do, issue is w/ the soft top motor. If windows dont go down, check to make sure the 'brake' light on the cluster lights up when you engage the hand brake. If it doesn't, check the single ground cable connected to the hand brake mechanism itself.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:26 AM

^^^Windows do not roll down.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Banned

What about the dash brake light when you engage the hand brake? If that does come on fine, check fuses.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:16 PM

Dash brake light comes on. Fuses aren't blown under the hood. I did do the modifry cut the speed sensor thing before I had the hardtop and it worked fine. Should I reconnect and try that out?
Old 04-09-2010, 10:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cherrynutz,Apr 9 2010, 07:16 PM
Dash brake light comes on. Fuses aren't blown under the hood. I did do the modifry cut the speed sensor thing before I had the hardtop and it worked fine. Should I reconnect and try that out?
No need to reconnect the speed sensor wire. Sounds like the motors are dead, specially if you have not used them in a long time. Try to close it manually like someone indicated above. Once on the closed position, try to open it using the switch again. Thats all I can think off. Any one else have other suggestions?
Old 04-09-2010, 11:06 PM

Yep. I closed it manually. I'm lost. If it is the motors...how the hell do you get to them. Is there a way to use a test light anywhere to see if they are getting power? The last time I used them was September. It hasn't been that long I would think they should hold up fine.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:52 AM
Banned

^^ I had my car in the shop for 18 months powerless. Soft top still worked perfectly when I got it back so yes they are reliable. Do a quick search in the forums for 'Soft Top Motor'
Old 04-10-2010, 07:50 AM

I searched all that before I posted. I've checked everything from wiper fuse to the soft top disabler switch and pulled the center console (which I did find the ground on the handbrake had come undone.I don't know if that's from me pulling the center console or if it was already loose) and still nothing.

Quick Reply: My soft top won't go up