S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

My s2k seems to be an anomaly

Old 04-07-2010, 12:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you heavy wot directly after the shift to second you're going to feel the CDV. I generally give it a small amount of time at maybe 50% throttle (like a quarter of a second) after shift before I WOT again. Seems to work well most of the time as well as I time it right. But this isn't an anomaly. It's actually the way the car was built, to reduce damage by slamming through gears repeatedly.

2 options:

1) Do the DIY CDV Delete in the DIY section
2) Buy an ap1 slave cylider
2b) Upgrade your flywheel like billman said to something slightly lighter
Old 04-07-2010, 12:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1
Old 04-07-2010, 01:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but i hear that if u do the CDV delete, it causes more slippage
Old 04-07-2010, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2002 S2K with 72,000 miles on it, I have no idea if the clutch has ever been changed.
I've put put about 2000 miles on it sense I purchased it. I am having a problem with the clutch slipping at higher RPMs. My first thought is "needs clutch", but it seems like if the clutch is out...its out, it cant heal itself...lol It's done this 3 times to me. each time it slips for about 3 or 4 days.

Someone told me that it has some sort of clutch sensor that would allow slippage so you would not shock the rear end. If so could this be the problem? And can it be bypassed in order to see if this is the problem?

Sux cause I finally got to run it against a camero (older model) and from 20 MPH start I jumped him 1st and 2nd gear....hit 3rd and it started slipping!! At which time I had to eat his dust....
thankful for any info...

Old 04-07-2010, 02:46 PM

To the OP:

I also experience this issue during HPDEs, and I have an AP2 with an AP1 clutch slave cylinder.

The stock pressure plate and heavy ass flywheel keep the clutch from grabbing quickly enough. You'll need to give it a pause after shifting before flooring the gas.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:39 PM

hmmmm.. gonna try this...but when mine slips it takes a couple of days driving "normal" for it to grab good again. CDV you are talking about...can it go bad....or hang up?
Old 04-07-2010, 05:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At 72k rpm's, it probably hasn't been replaced if it was responsibly driven. Clutches don't slip, then unslip, then slip again. If it's actually slipping it's on its way to certain death. Since you use quotation marks around the word normal, I'm prone to think that you're driving it absolutely hard on a very consistant basis in which case you should probably swap the clutch out for safe measure.

Unless of course you're mistaking clutch slip for a minor lack of traction that produces a similar 'gliding' feeling. To my knowledge the CDV only engages on the 1->2 shift, so if you're feeling it elsewhere you've got a bigger problem going on. (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on the cdv thing)
Old 04-07-2010, 06:30 PM

It's the way DBW is programmed. It won't let the throttle body close, to keep the RPM up. In a way, it's good, don't have to bleep the throttle. But the clutch engagement...

Hey, try bleeding the clutch.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by whiteflash,Apr 7 2010, 05:01 PM
At 72k rpm's, it probably hasn't been replaced if it was responsibly driven. Clutches don't slip, then unslip, then slip again. If it's actually slipping it's on its way to certain death. Since you use quotation marks around the word normal, I'm prone to think that you're driving it absolutely hard on a very consistant basis in which case you should probably swap the clutch out for safe measure.

Unless of course you're mistaking clutch slip for a minor lack of traction that produces a similar 'gliding' feeling. To my knowledge the CDV only engages on the 1->2 shift, so if you're feeling it elsewhere you've got a bigger problem going on. (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on the cdv thing)
I normally shift it at 4000RPM i find it smoothest, what I meant by "normal" lol...was a low rpm motor ..1500-2000RPM shifts..and it really does, if it slips ...its gonna for a couple days...then its fine. the craziest thing. Seems like if it is bad its bad...not bad then good...lol Oh another thing...when it slips, you can stop and restart and if you give a medium throttle it will slip second days better by third or fourth day,,,its fine.
someone said they didnt put the CDV on the 2002? not until 2004?
As far as the lack of traction...cant be...lol unless its breaken the tires at 60MPH..jus kidding I know what you mean. I wanted to check on here first becaese I hate to change the clutch and it be a sensor or some crap like that.

The bleed the clutch ...was that for me? If so what am I looking for when I do this? (problem wise?)
Old 04-08-2010, 02:23 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Sounds to me like you are rushing your shifts and not letting the RPM drop to where they need to be when you lift off the clutch pedal. When you release the clutch pedal with the RPMs still too high AND you floor the gas pedal AND the CDV is slowing down the clutch's pressure to the flywheel, the clutch is overwhelmed and slips for a few seconds. People who drive like that in older models end up ruining their differentials, and that's why Honda had to include the CDV in newer models.

Keep a better eye on the tach, and learn to time your shifts so that after a redline shift, you aren't letting the clutch out until the revs drop to 6,000 or so, and you're engaging the clutch BEFORE you're flooring the throttle.

Quick Reply: My s2k seems to be an anomaly