S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

My S2000's First Oil Change (A Couple of Questions)

Old 08-20-2015, 01:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My S2000's First Oil Change (A Couple of Questions)

Hi all...

Not looking to start a "what's the best oil and filter" thread... But I do have just a few questions as a sanity check...

I am planning to use:
  • Mobil 1 Synthetic 10w-30 (recommended weight from Honda)
  • OEM Filter (15400-PCX-004)

Two questions:

- I can buy a 6 pack of 1 quart bottles, or a single 5 quart container. I hate overbuying... Should I buy the 5 quarts, or the 6 quarts?
- I notice that Mobil has their own filters, and I assume that the Honda filter was designed for natural oil (I could be wrong here)... Is it okay to use the Honda OEM filter with Mobil 1?

That's it... Like I said...not trying to start a war on favorite oils and filters... Just wanted to run down a few questions before going out and buying my materials...

Thanks!
Old 08-20-2015, 01:59 PM

Received 1,720 Likes on 1,025 Posts

I happen to buy the 5 quart bottle of Mobil 1 from Wal-Mart; it is $25. I have not found it cheaper with the individual quarts, perhaps I need to look harder. I find the big bottle convenient and I use it to collect used oil from the S as well as other cars I have. I always have an extra bottle on hand so if I need a little more than 5 qts I am good to go.

The OEM Honda filter is the way to go; the gasket is different than other filters. It has metal rings around both sides of the gasket. When you torque the thing (really cannot do the 7/8 turn with your hands) with a wrench, the metal rings make contact with the engine surface for a good seal. You don't want an oil leak and resulting fire. The filter for the S is bigger than the one commonly used on other Honda/Acura engines, so make sure they don't give you the wrong one by mistake.

As far as the oil goes, you might want to consider using a 0w-30 (Mobil 1) oil. It provides better lubrication at startup. Here is a good site to bone up on oil. I learned a bit about oil myself. Remember once the oil is at operating temperature, the viscosity is the last number-30 in this case. That means that 0w-30 is the same as 10w-30 at temp: 30 weight oil, all things considered equal.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

I also installed a Fumoto valve to make changes easy. I can do an entire oil change through the hood without ramping or jacking up the car to get at the oil pan bolt.
Here is the valve installed on my S. It also makes it easy to drain a bit for an accidental overfill. You can also get a nipple on them to drain individual bottles for recycling if you want.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
I happen to buy the 5 quart bottle of Mobil 1 from Wal-Mart; it is $25. I have not found it cheaper with the individual quarts, perhaps I need to look harder. I find the big bottle convenient and I use it to collect used oil from the S as well as other cars I have. I always have an extra bottle on hand so if I need a little more than 5 qts I am good to go.

The OEM Honda filter is the way to go; the gasket is different than other filters. It has metal rings around both sides of the gasket. When you torque the thing (really cannot do the 7/8 turn with your hands) with a wrench, the metal rings make contact with the engine surface for a good seal. You don't want an oil leak and resulting fire. The filter for the S is bigger than the one commonly used on other Honda/Acura engines, so make sure they don't give you the wrong one by mistake.

As far as the oil goes, you might want to consider using a 0w-30 (Mobil 1) oil. It provides better lubrication at startup. Here is a good site to bone up on oil. I learned a bit about oil myself. Remember once the oil is at operating temperature, the viscosity is the last number-30 in this case. That means that 0w-30 is the same as 10w-30 at temp: 30 weight oil, all things considered equal.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

I also installed a Fumoto valve to make changes easy. I can do an entire oil change through the hood without ramping or jacking up the car to get at the oil pan bolt.
Here is the valve installed on my S. It also makes it easy to drain a bit for an accidental overfill. You can also get a nipple on them to drain individual bottles for recycling if you want.
Thanks!

1) You are able to get to the Fumoto valve AND the oil filter the top of the engine with the hood up? If so, shouldn't I be able to change my oil from above without the Fumoto valve?

2) In your photo, I am unclear on the orientation...is the Fumoto valve opening pointed upward?

Thanks!
Old 08-20-2015, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
Also...if you always have an extra bottle on hand if you need a little more than 5 quarts... Can I interpret this comment that I am safer with 6 quarts? CostCo and Amazon both have 6 quart boxes of the 5w-30 for $37.99.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:08 PM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

If you drain it really good you'll use a little over 5qts, if you just wait until a slow drip 5 quarts is more than enough.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:26 PM

Thanks!

I change my own oil on my other cars, so I just needed a little S2K specific details... Will go for it over the weekend...

My car is at stock height...I shouldn't have a problem getting a 2-ton jack underneath the car, should I?
Old 08-20-2015, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although most have good luck with the Fumoto, I would recommend against it. We had a local recently kick up a large rock and broke the valve clean off.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:42 PM

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Ok, trying very much not to start an oil flame war...but, some users of Mobil 1 have had problems excessive consumption with the S, and reported switching to another brand has greatly improved things.

I use M1 0w40 in my Audi, so not bashing M1.

If you find you have excessive consumption, something to consider.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't use M1 in the s2000 because of the oil consumption. I also read on the forums a long time ago that M1 may have a correlation with TCTs wearing out (but don't quote me on it, but I'm pretty sure I read it from a reliable member).

Drive up a 2x4 and you can easily get a floor jack under. Just beware to put the jackstands in the correct location. This is very important. Furthermore, you may want to buy a crush washer.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:38 PM

I'll use M1 this go around and determine if I have an oil consumption problem... I already pulled the trigger on a one-day delivery from Amazon...probably too late to stop that train from rolling...

Car Analogy - Without making this an oil war, I would love to know what you are using in your S2000... My buddy uses Castrol Synthetic in his BMW and has been pretty happy with Castrol...

Already have a handful of crush washers...

Any thread or pictures of where the proper jack point is located? I assume it will be obvious, but it can't hurt to ask if there is a photo in a thread someplace...

Question: I need to get the oil filter 7/8ths turn from the point of initial contact with the rubber washer...correct?

In your experiences, how far can I hand tighten, and how much remaining do I need the help of a filter wrench? My hope is that I can get it 5/8ths of the way (or more) with hand tightening, and then give it a quick 1/4 turn (or less) with the Honda filter wrench...

Quick Reply: My S2000's First Oil Change (A Couple of Questions)