S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

my s2000 is soo sluggish n slow ! help !

Old 06-04-2011, 11:35 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Petah78
The reason why your it's staying at 7k revs after a hard shift is because of the clutch delay valve. This is installed in all AP2s to relieve the stress on the diff and tranny from hard shifts. Perfectly normal for an AP2 if you are shifting hard. I have driven 2 MY05 and it was annoying as hell.
i dont think its the clutch delay valve cause a friend of mine also had a 05 s2k n he never had any problem with the rpms hanging at 7k for a while .
Old 07-03-2011, 11:51 AM

ok lil update . ive installed new spark plugs , installed brand new K&N drop in filter , re adjusted vavlves they were a lil off and also installed new berk HFC . n car is still riding the same . slow n sluggish. wheres the knock sensor located and what does it do ? ive cleaned map sensor a lil while back n it didnt do much either . next imma do a compression check n see how that goes . what should the compression range be ?
Old 07-03-2011, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KCHRIS305
ok lil update . ive installed new spark plugs , installed brand new K&N drop in filter , re adjusted vavlves they were a lil off and also installed new berk HFC . n car is still riding the same . slow n sluggish. wheres the knock sensor located and what does it do ? ive cleaned map sensor a lil while back n it didnt do much either . next imma do a compression check n see how that goes . what should the compression range be ?

Compression - 240 BUT even if your numbers are lets say... 210/209/210/212 That's still good because they are all close to each other.
If the compression test comes back like... (230/220/185/225) then you know you have something wrong. But I dont think thats it.

Sounds like a clutch to me. Seem like when you get into the higher RPM's (around 7000) the clutch disk is slipping and wont let you rev higher then that. BUT when you hold it there trying to push it past the 7000rpm mark , the clutch disc HEATS up and then grabs and you get to your 8000 mark. Thats why its hangs for a sec.

Knock Sensor - Located under your intake manifold in the block its self(its GREEN). (DONT PLAY AROUND WITH IT) If you dont have an engine light on stating your knock senser is bad then ITS GOOD. They are very ez to brake if you even look at them lol. If you end up braking that thing, you can blow the motor because it wont know when to pull timing.

Our cars HATE the heat... Like you stated, if its even starting to get hot outside, you will feel a big difference in power. There is not much you can do about that. If you have the OEM air box still in the car .. (Leave the top ON IT) Some people take it off because it sounds cool with it off in vtec BUT you will lose power while its hot outside.

GL..
Old 07-03-2011, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by TonysMI4
Originally Posted by S2KCHRIS305' timestamp='1309722670' post='20743519

Compression - 240 BUT even if your numbers are lets say... 210/209/210/212 That's still good because they are all close to each other.
If the compression test comes back like... (230/220/185/225) then you know you have something wrong. But I dont think thats it.

Sounds like a clutch to me. Seem like when you get into the higher RPM's (around 7000) the clutch disk is slipping and wont let you rev higher then that. BUT when you hold it there trying to push it past the 7000rpm mark , the clutch disc HEATS up and then grabs and you get to your 8000 mark. Thats why its hangs for a sec.

Knock Sensor - Located under your intake manifold in the block its self(its GREEN). (DONT PLAY AROUND WITH IT) If you dont have an engine light on stating your knock senser is bad then ITS GOOD. They are very ez to brake if you even look at them lol. If you end up braking that thing, you can blow the motor because it wont know when to pull timing.

Our cars HATE the heat... Like you stated, if its even starting to get hot outside, you will feel a big difference in power. There is not much you can do about that. If you have the OEM air box still in the car .. (Leave the top ON IT) Some people take it off because it sounds cool with it off in vtec BUT you will lose power while its hot outside.

GL..
im also gonna put it on a obd n see if any codes come up . n its not only the higher rpms thaat have issues . its the whole rpm band it just doesnt seem responsive at all .
Old 07-06-2011, 12:46 PM

Update *
Did compression check n results were 225,223,225,224
Also did obd scanner n has no codes car seems to be perfect but still not riding how it should ima get a new clutch n flywheel next
Old 07-10-2011, 02:15 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Good idea. Keep replacing parts of unknown condition until you find what fixes it.

Take it to a mechanic that actually knows what he's doing. You're not giving us enough info to help you and everyone in this thread is just guessing.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try checking the catalytic converter. On my old Civic, the catalyst broke down and was choking the exhaust, giving symptoms similar to yours.

The car was absolutely dog slow and was actually faster at WOT in 5th than in 3rd because of the reduced exhaust flow.

We checked a lot of the things suggested in this thread, and finally noticed a little coarse dust coming out the exhaust. Oh yeah, and the cat was glowing red after going for a test drive
Old 07-10-2011, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you even read the thread? He has a Berk HFC
Old 07-10-2011, 04:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did the car ever feel good? Sounds like you haven't owned the car that long. I would stop throwing money at the problem without checking it out.

Get a baseline dyno run, then you'll have evidence that its "slow and sluggish". Should be cheaper than a honda dealer diagnostic inspection. the butt dyno might not be accurate afterall...maybe its been 4.months and you have started to realize that the s2k is only a 14.0 second car

Perhaps you have all these mods and the car is just totally out of whack. Does the car have a stock ecu, pull the driver kick panel out and check. Stock wheels?

Could u shoot a video of the slow rpms?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2011, 04:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats with the use of the term "riding"?
If you car isn't riding properly, check for a leaking or blown shock.

Hopefully the cops won't catch you "riding dirty"...

(What happened to the English language?)

Quick Reply: my s2000 is soo sluggish n slow ! help !