S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

my s2000 is soo sluggish n slow ! help !

Old 06-02-2011, 01:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default my s2000 is soo sluggish n slow ! help !

hey guys i got an 2005 s2000 n latley its been riding terrible . its very slow the rpms just dont wanna climb n it doesnt wanna go anywhere . ive clean and the done the map whack also changed the tranny fluid and differential fluid but no help . car has 58k miles n im just sick of how its driving . can it be clutch going bad ? i also notice when i nail it to the floor and shift to the next gear it will stay revving at around 7k for a couple seconds before it actually redlines . car is just riding terrible lately i need this fixed its really bugging me . it has a bosch air filter ive never heard if that brand in a s2k . can it be the filter ? what you guys think ?
Old 06-02-2011, 01:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be any number of things. How many miles on the car? Last time spark plugs were replaced? Where are you getting your gas? Last time the air filter was cleaned or replaced? Also with the ambient temps going up there is going to be some power loss. Cold air=more dense and produces more power. Before we can help you we need to know a little more about your car
Old 06-02-2011, 02:24 PM

Car has 58k miles , plugs have never been changed yet , car as bosch air filter that im not sure when it was put in new the previous owner put it in . Ive owned the car for 4 months now . N im here in miami
Old 06-02-2011, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KCHRIS305
Car has 58k miles , plugs have never been changed yet , car as bosch air filter that im not sure when it was put in new the previous owner put it in . Ive owned the car for 4 months now . N im here in miami

clutch or tranny wouldn't prevent the rpms from climbing so that isn't it. It is something with the engine if it is that noticeable.

I would
1) check the oil level
2) check the plugs and maybe replace if they are the stock ones
3) check the valves and adjust if necessary
4) clean the injectors
5) if none of that works I would then suspect a malfunctioning sensor that such as the knock sensor or maybe the map sensor.

I had a similar problem with my S2K and I think that topping the oil off and doing the valve adjustment (even though it wasn't off much) made a world of difference. Also I think all the sensors on the car do more harm than good half the time.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by S2KCHRIS305
i also notice when i nail it to the floor and shift to the next gear it will stay revving at around 7k for a couple seconds before it actually redlines .
This makes it sound like clutch slip - if you are driving and you step on it do the revs climb but without the car actually speeding up?
Old 06-02-2011, 09:40 PM

ok to answers everybody imma check the spark plugs n probaly change them for the hell of it . imma change the air filter , spark plugs and oil change and see what happens . if not im thinking its the clutch . but im not sure . im also gonna try re adjusting the vavles whenever i get the time off from work to do it . im just trying to get my s2k running healthy before i turbo it in the next 6 months . and what can i do for heat soak ? is there anything that really helps to prevent it? and clutch feels a lil when i nail it it doesnt chirp any gear or anything . my previous ap1 ran so much faster and more repsonsive than my ap2 . my previous ap1 had re adjusted vavles , stage 1 exedy clutch and pressure plate , also lightened flywheel and new spark plugs . that car drove like a dream
Old 06-02-2011, 11:30 PM

1. Clutch
2. Oil replacement
3. Fouled plugs
4. VTEC solenoid screen
5. Air filter
6. Heat soak - not much you can do, depends on what air box / CAI you're running.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:48 AM

alright i gotta checkk all those things and fix this problem asap . it really annoys me when i drive my s2k now a days cuz of this . n i thought an ap2 was supposed to be a bit faster than a ap1 in a straight line . ive been thinking of selling my ap2 n going back to a ap1.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:57 AM

I'd just like to comment real quick here. Lots of great suggestions from everyone. I'm a brand new owner. Just got my 2007 AP2 a few weeks ago. Since I've started driving it, it's been pretty freakin' hot here. My few runs to redline through a few gears was great, but the car didn't really seem that fast. I wrote it off as that's just how the car is. I'm coming from a bolt on K20 just for reference, which felt faster. Anyway, this morning was cooler out, like 64 degrees. I made a turn onto a highway on ramp and floored it in 2nd gear. The car was like freakin' possessed! It took off like mad man. Was nothing like I felt so far with this car. Kinda scared me for a second lol.

It seems, so far, that this F22 is similar to the K20 in that, the cutoff for great performance is about 70 degrees. Anything above that, the car is a slug, but below it's a monster.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:09 AM

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

The reason why your it's staying at 7k revs after a hard shift is because of the clutch delay valve. This is installed in all AP2s to relieve the stress on the diff and tranny from hard shifts. Perfectly normal for an AP2 if you are shifting hard. I have driven 2 MY05 and it was annoying as hell.

Quick Reply: my s2000 is soo sluggish n slow ! help !