S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

My rear brake won't loosen up - HELP!

Old 03-10-2008, 05:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They usually don't move freely and have to be turned to push them in. Make sure it turns and align the pin on the pad with the cross in the piston.

J
Old 03-10-2008, 05:31 AM
cmn

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know I bought tools to screw the piston in, and it work. But they were quite hard at first. That's what I meant as I said I think they don't move as free as they should. The piston is also aligned with the pin. But there are some corrosion on the piston itself. I sanded a lot of it, but I think I will have to change it.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:38 AM

Ah, well at least it is a cheap rebuild.

J
Old 03-10-2008, 06:54 AM
cmn

Originally Posted by scareyourpassenger,Mar 10 2008, 05:38 AM
Ah, well at least it is a cheap rebuild.

J
The price is fortunately not that bad Just hope the piston is the problem, but I think so!
Old 03-10-2008, 10:00 AM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

please keep us updated on what the problem is/was...
Old 03-10-2008, 10:11 AM
Former Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cmn,Mar 8 2008, 04:30 PM
I also noticed that the brake pads were worn in a quite special way. They were worn more in towards the hub, than they were out towards the wheel arch...
Mine were worn like that as well. I also had a squeaky grinding noise that only appeared after I had been driving for awhile. My drivers rear wheel was also getting quite a bit hotter than the others. It wasn't extreme, but it was noticable. After replacing pads and rotors on all four corners (they needed it anyway), I replaced the hub and bearing. All better after that. You're problem may be that you need a caliper rebuild. But the symptoms sound quite similar to mine. Just thought I'd suggest that as a possibility. Let us know how your rebuild turns out and if that fixes it.

Here's the DIY for the bearing if you'd like to read. DIY
Old 03-10-2008, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spa_Ap1,Mar 10 2008, 11:11 AM
Mine were worn like that as well. I also had a squeaky grinding noise that only appeard after I had been driving for awhile. My drivers rear wheel was also getting quite a bit hotter than the others. It wasn't extreme, but it was noticable. After replacing pads and rotors on all four corners (they needed it anyway), I replaced the hub and bearing. All better after that. You're problem may be that you need a caliper rebuild. But the symptoms sound quite similar to mine. Just thought I'd suggest that as a possibility. Let us know how your rebuild turns out and if that fixes it.

Here's the DIY for the bearing if you'd like to read. DIY
I was going to suggest the bearing as well since he's been pretty thorough with the stuck caliper check.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:19 AM

Recently replaced the left rear caliper for exactly this reason. Sometimes it was fine, most times the piston wouldn't retract enough to free the wheel. It's possible this is a residual problem from my use of the Cobalt GT-S pads this past autocross season but I wouldn't be able to prove it.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:54 AM
cmn

Thanks for all help and suggestions, guys! I'll do the caliper rebuild next week! The rear brake discs are also getting close to the minimum thickness, so I'll change the rear discs and pads at the same time. Hopefully, it's the caliper which is the problem. If not, I will change the bearing as well. I'll keep you updated on how it turns out!
Old 03-21-2008, 11:11 PM
cmn

Well, I've changed the brake piston and it seems to work great No problems so far. The old one looked quite bad... It looks like the thing causing it all (corrosion on the piston) was a bad seal (or what it's called).

Quick Reply: My rear brake won't loosen up - HELP!